Fuel guage accuracy

Default Fuel guage accuracy

I have been driving a 2017 Ranger base for 2,5 years. When the range gets to 0, the guage shows empty as well and I fill it with 80 litres. So it really empty.

New XLS, Range shows 0, guage shows empty, fill with 70 litres.

Is this to prevent you from sucking up the dirty bits in the tank, or is it to really prevent you from running out of fuel? Seems like its there to annoy me. Another 10 litres of fuel can save me a whole lot of refuelling trips in a month.

Anyone else had this experience, or is there something wrong?
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

17 Ranger Supercab Tdci (Sold)
    97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

Default Re: Fuel guage accuracy

There is a tendency for manufacturers to show 0 range when ‘reserve’ is reached. IIRC it was to prevent possible claims/litigation for people running out of fuel before the range is zero.

On my Subaru I’ve done 120km after the range jumps to ‘—‘ and tells me the tank is empty. Even then, I still had about 5l of fuel left.

On my Rangers and Everest I had, I have never reached zero on my fuel gauge and range 0. My fuel warning comes on at 80km range and that is the lowest I will drive it and it will be close to home. I usually fill up by 1/4 or 1/2 on the gauge.
    I have never run out of fuel in my life.
    ....well, except as a student when we had no money....

My refuels are planned and I always make sure there is enough fuel for an emergency if needed. Life is too short to stare at a fuel gauge.
    Last edited by AntonN; 2020/01/18 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonN View Post
    On my Rangers and Everest I had, I have never reached zero on my fuel gauge and range 0. My fuel warning comes on at 80km range and that is the lowest I will drive it and it will be close to home. I usually fill up by 1/4 or 1/2 on the gauge.
    I have never run out of fuel in my life.
    ....well, except as a student when we had no money....

My refuels are planned and I always make sure there is enough fuel for an emergency if needed. Life is too short to stare at a fuel gauge.
    Problem is, I now have to fill up every 560km. Where I used to fill up every 730km. Thats a lot of extra trips to the fuel station, and a crap range when travelling long distance. Kgalagadi and mabua is going to be a challenge.

Yesterday the 80km range thing came on while I was out, 50km later its 0. Drove another 3km to get to nearest fuel station, took 72 litres. So still had 8 litres left.

The extra fuel stops really is annoying. This was only the vehicles 4th refueling, hopefully it gets better.
    12 Conqueror courage

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    Problem is, I now have to fill up every 560km. Where I used to fill up every 730km. Thats a lot of extra trips to the fuel station, and a crap range when travelling long distance. Kgalagadi and mabua is going to be a challenge.

Yesterday the 80km range thing came on while I was out, 50km later its 0. Drove another 3km to get to nearest fuel station, took 72 litres. So still had 8 litres left.

The extra fuel stops really is annoying. This was only the vehicles 4th refueling, hopefully it gets better.
    I hear you. You just got the new XLS Auto (2.2 I assume)? Are these figures in town, long distance or combined? Are you concerned about the range indication or more about the fuel consumption?

Only on long trips have I had the 80km warning and that is just about when I get home. Usually I am fully loaded on a long trip, and I will hit the 780-810km mark when the 80km warning comes on, depending the consumption I got.

This was from a trip in November to KNP.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XLS-2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	554800

I hear you. You just got the new XLS Auto (2.2 I assume)? Are these figures in town, long distance or combined? Are you concerned about the range indication or more about the fuel consumption?

Only on long trips have I had the 80km warning and that is just about when I get home. Usually I am fully loaded on a long trip, and I will hit the 780-810km mark when the 80km warning comes on, depending the consumption I got.

Anton that is an interesting graph. Recorded on what and then sent to Excell?
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

Quote Originally Posted by pwgg View Post
    Anton that is an interesting graph. Recorded on what and then sent to Excell?
    The profile is actually generated in Garmin MapSource.

I import my tracks from my GPS for the whole trip and combine them. MapSource then generates the trip profile which gives km's travelled, min/max elevation/altitude, very easy. I also get average speed etc. I then check my track distance to GPS recorded distance to make sure they correlate. Then take my fuel slips tank to tank, and just work out the actual consumption I got. Fuel used over km's travelled. I combine this in a design program I use.

This was a recent trip to Nelspruit. I didn't bother to record my fuel for this one.

Name:	Nelspruit.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	554807

The profile is actually generated in Garmin MapSource.

I import my tracks from my GPS for the whole trip and combine them. MapSource then generates the trip profile which gives km's travelled, min/max elevation/altitude, very easy. I also get average speed etc. I then check my track distance to GPS recorded distance to make sure they correlate. Then take my fuel slips tank to tank, and just work out the actual consumption I got. Fuel used over km's travelled. I combine this in a design program I use.

This was a recent trip to Nelspruit. I didn't bother to record my fuel for this one.

Name:	Nelspruit.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	554807
    This is super anal, but very impressive! I'm battling to get my family to just record the fuel usage and consumption....

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    This is super anal, but very impressive! I'm battling to get my family to just record the fuel usage and consumption....
    It is more a mix of curiosity and mostly some OCD....
    ...and people ask me why I am still single.

This I do mostly on long trips. If I did this everyday, it would probably better qualify as being anal....

My figures are in town. I only drove the vehicle long distance the day I collected it in Heidelberg. Then it showed 12,5km/lt. Then I drove it to schoemanskloof for new years towing the conqueror and it also gave around 8,5km/lt. nelspruit and schoemamskloof both eat fuel with all the uphills.

Im not worried about the consumption so much. More about the fuel thats left in the tank when I can actually drive longer and it makes me refuel. Going to Punda in Feb, but also towing. Will be interresting to see how it does towing on a combined route with hills and flat stretches.
    12 Conqueror courage

Personally I'd rather have tank-full than tank-empty. Unfortunately I cannot speak from experience since I do not tow, but maybe monitor over a few tanks of fuel and see where you are comfortable to refuel.
    I think in SA, including KNP there are no issues with fuel availability. These things might concern me more travelling outside the borders but consumption determine frequency of stops anyways. Just work with worst case and plan fuel stops accordingly. Gauge/range is not going to change anything.

Travelling to KNP I either use Phala or Malelane gates. I will always stop for a coffee and refuel before I go into the park. When I exit I top-up to full and fill the tank when I reach home. Enjoy your Punda trip. I am planning to go this weekend to Berg-en-Dal and up to Letaba.

Personally I'd rather have tank-full than tank-empty. Unfortunately I cannot speak from experience since I do not tow, but maybe monitor over a few tanks of fuel and see where you are comfortable to refuel.
    I think in SA, including KNP there are no issues with fuel availability. These things might concern me more travelling outside the borders but consumption determine frequency of stops anyways. Just work with worst case and plan fuel stops accordingly. Gauge/range is not going to change anything.

Travelling to KNP I either use Phala or Malelane gates. I will always stop for a coffee and refuel before I go into the park. When I exit I top-up to full and fill the tank when I reach home. Enjoy your Punda trip. I am planning to go this weekend to Berg-en-Dal and up to Letaba.
    We had lots of rain this weekend. Olifants is flowing very well. Sable hide had to be evacuated. 2 vehicles dead in the water parked inside the fence. Had to be recovered. Flooded at 3am yesterday I think. Berg-en-dal will be very uncomfortable with humidity. Rather go north and enjoy the full rivers.
    12 Conqueror courage

Thanks for that heads-up. Then I will go Letaba-Olifants maybe Punda.