Insurance

Thread: Insurance

Default Insurance

I have bought a 2011 Challenger Wilderness Rhino 700 trailer. How do one go about insuring it? Do you guesstimate the value of the trailer on its own and then specify the different additional component with replacement values like tents, fridge/freezer, battery, etc? What about clothing and foodstuff whilst travelling? Thanks. Your advise is appreciated.
    Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 aka "Skillie"

Previous : Defender 2006 TDI aka "Slakkie"

Default Re: Insurance

Hi. The best is to phone your broker (or the insurance if you are direct.

My broker recommended to put the trailer on and then specify the larger content items. This apparently also helps when the trailer is broken into and not significantly damaged but you fridge is missing. You can claim the specified item.
    2016 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    2016 Wilderness 200 (Karet) Trailer

Best to talk to a broker. All trailers have to be insured, even that grand pa's hand down rubbish removal. Third party for the cheaper types is most probably enough. If there is an accident and trailer damages somebody's Ferrari and no insurance...
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Best to talk to a broker. All trailers have to be insured, even that grand pa's hand down rubbish removal. Third party for the cheaper types is most probably enough. If there is an accident and trailer damages somebody's Ferrari and no insurance...
    Above scenario = "Eish!"

To give some idea:
    I have my stainless steel (body) Glider Hunter (Similar to old type Venter) trailer fitted with Howling Moon RTT.
    It is a 1997 model which I have insured as a vehicle at value R 25 000 (Trailer only) - they tell me I am under-insured even though this model is no longer manufactured and in any case not available in stainless steel.
    I also cannot establish the real value .....
    Then the RTT is insured as a specified item as is the NL camping fridge, batteries & dual charging system (As accessories to the towing vehicle).
    The contents, being camping equipment etc. is covered under general all risks section of the policy.

Personally, I doubt if I could sell the trailer for R 25 000 but then I think they work on REPLACEMENT value.
    So what is the replacement value of an item for which there is no replacement available?

I wonder what benchmark they would use to establish the trailer value and therefor determine the payout value in the event of a claim.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    Above scenario = "Eish!"

To give some idea:
    I have my stainless steel (body) Glider Hunter (Similar to old type Venter) trailer fitted with Howling Moon RTT.
    It is a 1997 model which I have insured as a vehicle at value R 25 000 (Trailer only) - they tell me I am under-insured even though this model is no longer manufactured and in any case not available in stainless steel.
    I also cannot establish the real value .....
    Then the RTT is insured as a specified item as is the NL camping fridge, batteries & dual charging system (As accessories to the towing vehicle).
    The contents, being camping equipment etc. is covered under general all risks section of the policy.

Personally, I doubt if I could sell the trailer for R 25 000 but then I think they work on REPLACEMENT value.
    So what is the replacement value of an item for which there is no replacement available?

I wonder what benchmark they would use to establish the trailer value and therefor determine the payout value in the event of a claim.
    Thanks Peter. My problem exactly. Will however have a discussion with my insurance broker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Thanks Jouko. I agree
    Last edited by AndreTunie; 2020/01/19 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by N-Ice View Post
    Hi. The best is to phone your broker (or the insurance if you are direct.

My broker recommended to put the trailer on and then specify the larger content items. This apparently also helps when the trailer is broken into and not significantly damaged but you fridge is missing. You can claim the specified item.
    Thanks. Yes, it sounds about right to me. Only thing is, for what amount should one insure your trailer (no book or trade value available) and how will the insurance company accesses the eventual payout value if necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by AndreTunie View Post
    Thanks. Yes, it sounds about right to me. Only thing is, for what amount should one insure your trailer (no book or trade value available) and how will the insurance company accesses the eventual payout value if necessary?
    The only thing I can think of in this case is find something similar in specs and present it as such to the insurance or broker. Ultimately your premium will be determined by the value attached to the trailer and in line with that the payout depending on the extent of damage or loss.

This is where it is nice to work with an experienced broker that has done similar structures. I found that at direct insurers like Outsurance the agent doesnít always understand specifics around your needs. So Iím sticking to using a broker. Also, never had an issue with a claim to this point (fortunately nothing trailer or camping related thusfar)
    2016 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    2016 Wilderness 200 (Karet) Trailer