Hannibal Safari Equipment closed down?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Hannibal Safari Equipment closed down?

Just heard from someone else in the same industry sector that Hannibal Safari Equipment in Epping has closed down. Apparently the Sheriff of the Court has been there to collect the keys of the place. I believe there is to be an auction of assets presumably on 6th February.

I hope there's no one on this forum either waiting for an order to be fulfilled or a job to be finished by Hannibal, or that they owe anyone here any money.

As one who has recently been on the receiving end of Hannibal's rotten service delivery and terrible workmanship this news comes as no surprise.

However, it saddens one doesn't it to think of the effects in these tough economic times on the employees of such businesses failing and maybe even others in peripheral businesses who may be adversely affected by such closures.

Sad times, but predictable.
    Jambo7

London to Sydney 1968 East Africa 2001 Southern & East Africa 2004 & 2006
    Australia 2007 Cape Agulhas to North Cape, Norway 2009/10
    Ushuaia, Argentina to Deadhorse, Alaska 2012/13, Southern Africa 2015 & 2017

DON'T JUST DREAM IT - DO IT!

Default Re: Hannibal Safari Equipment closed down?

Sad times indeed
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

Unhappy Re: Hannibal Safari Equipment closed down?

Very sad to hear this. I've only had very good service from them through the years!

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo7 View Post
    Just heard from someone else in the same industry sector that Hannibal Safari Equipment in Epping has closed down. Apparently the Sheriff of the Court has been there to collect the keys of the place. I believe there is to be an auction of assets presumably on 6th February.

I hope there's no one on this forum either waiting for an order to be fulfilled or a job to be finished by Hannibal, or that they owe anyone here any money.

As one who has recently been on the receiving end of Hannibal's rotten service delivery and terrible workmanship this news comes as no surprise.

However, it saddens one doesn't it to think of the effects in these tough economic times on the employees of such businesses failing and maybe even others in peripheral businesses who may be adversely affected by such closures.

Sad times, but predictable.
    No wonder there has been no response to my enquiry about front and sides for my awning...sign of the times I'm afraid...
    2006 Defender 90 CSW Td 5
    Nissan Patrol 3 lt V-6 d/c - sold

Nothing is ever what it seems.....:

The ''Bitterness of Poor Quality remains long after the Sweetness of Low Price.....''

Quote Originally Posted by Landy90fan View Post
    No wonder there has been no response to my enquiry about front and sides for my awning...sign of the times I'm afraid...
    Why don't you go to Lennox at Cristys Tent & Canvas where my camper is right now? Hannibal made a total mess of what they did on it. Lennox is an absolute star, always with a cheery smile AND NEVER GIVES UP! I'm certain you'll get a good job from him. Call him on 078 722 2652.
    Jambo7

They had some good staff and useful products and used to export tents as well.

Sad news.

Why don't you go to Lennox at Cristys Tent & Canvas where my camper is right now? Hannibal made a total mess of what they did on it. Lennox is an absolute star, always with a cheery smile AND NEVER GIVES UP! I'm certain you'll get a good job from him. Call him on 078 722 2652.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Thanks - when is the flipping ''Thank You'' button going to be re-instated..?

The ''Bitterness of Poor Quality remains long after the Sweetness of Low Price.....''

Good riddence....
    Everybody needs to believe in something.... I believe I will have another Beer!

Travel Blog: https://since1652.wordpress.com/

https://www.instagram.com/since1652travel/

Quote Originally Posted by Landy90fan View Post
    Thanks - when is the flipping ''Thank You'' button going to be re-instated..?
    +100 Lennox and Cristy's are absolute tops.
    Sam
    ZS1SAM
    V5/ZS1SAM

sad for a once big brand/quality product to go this way.

@Landy90Fan - Also you could give Shorty(Renier) at Shorty's Adventures a call to make you tent & sides

Very sad indeed - they've made many top products over the years. I wonder if the reported service issues experienced equates to taking on too much business and then neglecting customers; to such an extent that it started the downwards spiral.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

I'm guessing that things at Hannibal started to go wrong when Jacques, who I believe was Heinrich's brother, left the business in what I've heard was a bit of a black cloud. He apparently was the technical kingpin there. With him gone it seems Heinrich was out of his depth on the production and technical side.

It was also very obvious in our case that he should not have taken on work with which it soon transpired he was not familiar, kept telling me that it would all be straightforward, but when the work was supposed to be finished months later the final product didn't perform and looked dreadful. And never make promises on which you cannot deliver!

Indeed it is a shame to see this sort of thing happen; yet it has to be said the outcome was preventable.

I first dealt with Hannibal many years ago when I had Defenders and they then did some excellent fabricating of various extras for the Landies and there was never any sign of what has been happening there recently.

I feel for the employees who now have an uphill battle looking for other work and find themselves worrying about how they will support their families.

Quo vadis SA?
    Jambo7

My experience again was that Heinrich ran the show, but Jacques was a bit of an anchor with what I assumed bad admin skills etc. Either way, we wouldn't know - just sad that the market probably lost the best roofracks, and probably the best roof tents together with Howling Moon, to something that was probably fully avoidable.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Its a pity. Often, reduction in product range with emphasis on the core products can help in situations like this but of course, thats speculation on my behalf as there could have been a number of fundamental issues across the board not to mention uncontrollable market factors.

On the assumption that their products were top notch, then surely there must be jigs and technical drawings etc, which could be of value to someone who wanted/wants to continue, staff for instance. I guess a liquidator, if one is involved, would be the best port of call for this info
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    sad for a once big brand/quality product to go this way.

@Landy90Fan - Also you could give Shorty(Renier) at Shorty's Adventures a call to make you tent & sides
    Thanks for the info.....

Very sad news, their roofracks seriously the strongest and longest lasting by far we can get in SA, I dread where I need to order my next rack from My experience with Heinrich directly has only been good, nowhere could I fault them on that side of the business. He opened his factory on a Saturday morning, with his most senior fitment guy, to fit my roofrack, JUST FOR ME, for an entire morning. Show me extra mile service like that, anywhere else in the 4x4 industry, I challenge you.
    '01 Isuzu Frontier 280 4x4
    63mm Bosal downpipe/Powerflow freeflow exhaust system
    2"lift
    Rancho S9000 adjustable front shocks
    Camil coil-over rear shocks
    TJM alu front bumper
    Madman EGT/water level monitor
    Extreme Lights Night Raider LED spots
    BFG KO2 AT 235/85/16
    Hannibal roofrack

We haven't had any dealings directly with them, but we do have their rooftop tent on our own Defender. I have to say that it's the best rooftop tent I've ever had the pleasure to sleep in, by far.
    Our website
    Contact us
    Join us on Facebook
    Stone Accessories operates solely as an ONLINE BUSINESS

1996 Defender 110 300 tdi
    Mantec snorkel
    Bash plate
    Roof racks
    Diff guards
    Corner protector/bumper steps
    Water tank

No surprise from me on Hannibal's closure, as I had absolutely atrocious service from Hannibal all throughout 2019. I'm still trying to track down at least 4 rain flys and/or tent covers for their RTTs that should have been part of the order (if anyone's got any spares lying around or end up getting some from the auction, PLEASE do be in contact).

As a small business owner myself, it's always sad to see companies go out, but from my own experience and that of others I've had message me on this forum, this was some time in coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Papsak View Post
    Good riddence....
    Unfortunately have to agree......worst customer service i have ever experienced in my life............worst !!!

Gaan nou na Shorty. Sy werk en diens is puik
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast