permit namib naukluft

Default permit namib naukluft

We would like to camp at either Mirabib, Rock arche or Mid Tinkas in Februari

are coming from the south
    understand permits are available at either Sesriem or Swakompmund

but in between Sesriem and entering the park would like to stay at an other camp - probably Namib's Valley of a Thousand Hills for one or two nights.

If we buy the permit at Sesriem Is this permit only valid for a specific day/night?
    or can one adjust the date upon arrival at the gate?
    We hate to fixe any date upfront.............

tx again

Default Re: permit namib naukluft

usually they will issue the permit for the night you stay at the site, but talk to the person who does the permit at sesriem, if you friendly enough they could give you some grace.
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz
    modded 02' 105 series 4.5efi (big wheeled petrol thief)

Quote Originally Posted by AboutAfrica View Post
    usually they will issue the permit for the night you stay at the site, but talk to the person who does the permit at sesriem, if you friendly enough they could give you some grace.
    Okay, thank you, will ask swambo to do the talking

coming from the south > Last stop for shopping is Soltaire I assume ??

Depends which town you pass through last. Maltahohe etc, as next town would be swakopmund. Solitaire not much of a selection, better bet would be the little shop at the shell service station just across the road from the sesriem gate.
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz
    modded 02' 105 series 4.5efi (big wheeled petrol thief)

Quote Originally Posted by AboutAfrica View Post
    Depends which town you pass through last. Maltahohe etc, as next town would be swakopmund. Solitaire not much of a selection, better bet would be the little shop at the shell service station just across the road from the sesriem gate.
    I think after solitaire we shall follow the d1275 to camp at spreetshoogte > via C26 to Namib's Valley of a Thousand Hills > Mirabib > Bloedkoppie or Rock arch > swakopmund

so I understand we shall have to buy food for 4 nights at Sesriem, meat water beer wine etc available??

About Africa..
    Kindly guide our NAM guest. He has a nice route plan .
    Maybe offer your services.

Kind Regards
    Coenie

Quote Originally Posted by janseekat View Post
    About Africa..
    Kindly guide our NAM guest. He has a nice route plan .
    Maybe offer your services.

Kind Regards
    Coenie
    LOL, hulle skinder oor my ( I hope this is wel translated )

Bastiaan, we did a three week trip in Dec, covering more or less the same route as yours in that part for a few days.
    Yes, permits at Sesriem, but perhaps pay for an additional day or so if you are unsure.
    Mirabib! Sounds and looks so romantic on pics, but the harsh reality is a rock with one or two campsites to the south of it. North, east or west the sun will attempt to kill you in summer. I suppose not bad for a one-night-stand. The road to Mirabib is the worst corrugated road I have ever been on! We were booked in Naukluft for two nights, and as the 'nice' sites at Mirabib were occupied, we turned around and braved the same road again to find a better place, which was Ganab in the end. It turned out to be a good decision.
    Almost like in the Richtersveld, there is zero control over which campsite you indicate on your permit vs where you actually camp. In fact, I don't think they control it at all. When buying the permits, they could not tell us how many spots at specific sites such as Mirabib and Ganab were open/occupied.
    Enjoy!!

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

Quote Originally Posted by bastiaan View Post
    I think after solitaire we shall follow the d1275 to camp at spreetshoogte > via C26 to Namib's Valley of a Thousand Hills > Mirabib > Bloedkoppie or Rock arch > swakopmund

so I understand we shall have to buy food for 4 nights at Sesriem, meat water beer wine etc available??
    As above, would also rather skip Mirabib. From valley of a thousand hills take the C14 through Kuiseb Canyon, then turn right onto the D1998, then right onto the D1982, left onto the D1985 till you get the C28, and on to bloedkoppie or rockarch from there. The D1985 is a nice road and often you will see animals.

The other road cutting through the park past Hotsas/Ganab is terrible so best to avoid, rather take the above route.

You should be able to get most of what you need at the "Taleni Service Station" shop. The shop at solitaire is not always greatly stocked, but do pop in there when you drive past.

looks like you have a nice relaxed route. Take it easy and enjoy.
    About Africa Adventures, Tours & Travel
    web: www.aboutafrica.co
    mail: [email protected]
    fb: https://www.facebook.com/aboutafricaco/
    tel: +264 64 463434
    Watsap: +264 eight one 143 43 four three
    Namibia

Quote Originally Posted by AAANAM View Post
    As above, would also rather skip Mirabib. From valley of a thousand hills take the C14 through Kuiseb Canyon, then turn right onto the D1998, then right onto the D1982, left onto the D1985 till you get the C28, and on to bloedkoppie or rockarch from there. The D1985 is a nice road and often you will see animals.

The other road cutting through the park past Hotsas/Ganab is terrible so best to avoid, rather take the above route.

You should be able to get most of what you need at the "Taleni Service Station" shop. The shop at solitaire is not always greatly stocked, but do pop in there when you drive past.

looks like you have a nice relaxed route. Take it easy and enjoy.
    Allright, seems to be a sound advice! tx, will hand it over to swambo

I believed we had plenty of time but I'm running out of dates...................must skip something so was indeed already considering to skip Mirabib.

Only 14 days left before departure so must get organised by now................
    starting to think of last purchases like deet / first aid missings etc.

For us overlander it's always difficult to consider what to take with you,and what to buy locally. Especially tools because we are also depending on the rental company what they give you. Last year with Britz they gave nothing! no screwdriver no nothing. ( ofcourse they give the compressor, jack etc)