What size generator

Default What size generator

I need some guidance. I do some handyman and carpentary work at the moment. While busy on a site I would like to continue work during loadshedding. What size generator must I get to run the power tools such as drills, planer and router. It will normally only be one tool running at a time.

I don't want to get a too big generator as space is also limited in the trailer. All input will be appreciated.
    Brynmor

2014 Ford Ranger 3.2 Extracab 4x2
    2012 Ford Ranger 3.2 Extracab 4x2 (Sold)

2009 Mazda BT50 3.0 Extracab 4x2 (Sold)

Default Re: What size generator

I did a lot of site work where there was no power ..yet. I got away comfortably with a 3kva, big enough so that a grinder does not drown it out but still economical on fuel and relatively compact. It is not enough to weld with for that I would recommend a 6.5 at least. Going too small with power tools can burn your tools and the gennie
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    I did a lot of site work where there was no power ..yet. I got away comfortably with a 3kva, big enough so that a grinder does not drown it out but still economical on fuel and relatively compact. It is not enough to weld with for that I would recommend a 6.5 at least. Going too small with power tools can burn your tools and the gennie
    I was going to recommend the same size - I have a Yamaha 3kVA silent genset for load shedding, which replaced a 6.5VA. It comfortably runs two UPSes, lights, 2 fridges and freezer, and even the Microwave, but that battles. It battled with the 6.5kVA. I ran my 650W Makita drill (800W?) without a problem, and think with everything else off, would run my biggest tool, the big angle grinder easily. If your tools have speed controlled triggers, it would definitely not be a problem.

Thinking about this, the big Makita angle grinder has a soft start I think. It does not try and release itself from my grasp like the older ones I had before. Quite confident that the 3kVA will do the trick for you if it is not a cheap Chinese clone. And this 3kVA is very frugal fuel wise

I run a Hoffman 4kW for site work. Bought in 2008.

Big enough for tools that I need for carpentry work. Biggest tool I have is 1300W Plunge Cut Saw.

Have a 6kW genny as well.

The main diff is one has 8hp motor and other has 15hp. Both has same tank size (25l), but 8hp motor runs for two days (8hr stints) while other barely makes one day.

Quite frankly for carpentry work 3kW will be fine. We don't use 2300watt grinders like plumbers and electricians

The problem comes in when others want to plug into yours. That is a no-go. Besides messing their tools, they deprive your tools of the necessary power.

Been there, got the t-shirt
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Thank you for the info gents, atleast now I know what to look for.
    Brynmor

2014 Ford Ranger 3.2 Extracab 4x2
    2012 Ford Ranger 3.2 Extracab 4x2 (Sold)

2009 Mazda BT50 3.0 Extracab 4x2 (Sold)

The smaller generator (<3kVA) can also be handled by one person, where as the 6.5 kVa requires two ( able bodied) people to load and off load on a bakkie. ( I sometimes have to move roving generators between off grid, submersible pump equipped boreholes as a one man job) . I always prefer taking the 2.5 kVa Yanmar above the 6.5 kVa Grip China Clone generator

As mentioned , you will only need the larger generator for a welder and maybe for the house to power the geyser and/or stove during load shedding.

For most other power tools the < =3kVA should be fine
    Last edited by vlakkie; 2020/01/19 at 05:30 PM.
    Old:1998 Hilux SC 3000D
    Old: 2001 Hilux DC KZTE
    Old: 2007 Fortuner 3.0D4D
    Current: VW T5.1 BiTdi Transporter