Mercedes - not what it used to be - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Mercedes - not what it used to be

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    I bought a W123 C200 as a company car while I was based in OFS working for an oil Co. I was surprised when the timing chain had to be replaced at 30K km. Knew the MB rep well. He said "Yep, first one for free, thereafter at your cost every 30K km. You must be kidding - I was doing 5K km a month! Another story! It was otherwise a great car, amazing on gravel and I got more for it when I sold it than what I paid for it!
    Now, I cannot believe MB in recent years, are still having timing chain sprocket wear problems!
    Well I must mention in fairness that the company car before that was a BMW and it broke down twice (for 2 different reasons) on the first day I got.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

The w123/126 range of Merc were probably the best motor vehicles ever produced. They were totally overengineerd.
    I think a couple of market forces made Benz move away from building cars like that and the biggest factor is probably the BMW e34.
    Merc were used to asking basically what they wanted for their cars and the people bought it. The BM e34 changed all of that. It was a modern car, well buildt and reliable. A truly great competitor, but where the Merc was buildt like a tank, the BM were modern, sporty and dynamic.
    I think that if Merc to keep on building cars like the w123, they would just have become too expensive.
    They had to adapt and improve. It was like a new ballgame for them in the 90s, where they mostly played catchup to BM.
    Ironically, the late 80/90s were again BMWs golden age of cars. They were building great cars and motors in that era.

Nowadays it seems that all of them are also building expendable cars like everybody else.
    Drive it for 7years and chuck it away.

Sad but true...

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    I must admit, I am much more of a BMW fan, but I did like some of the Mercs quite a bit.

The W203 was quite nice. Drove a friends one, was the C200 Kompressor. Then drove a colleagues W204, C180 Kompressor, and I found I didn't like it as much as the W203.

Fast forward to 2019 I drove a W205, and I liked that one the least of all. I just personally felt that the built quality was kinda cheap. The sounds coming from the Rear Parking Camera sounded cheap, the door closing didn't sound solid, the drive didn't sound nice, so not sure what went wrong. I always thought of german cars to be quite solid, well at least Mercs and Beamers, but the newer ones seems tinny, if that makes sense. Anyway, I am sure they are still nice cars mostly, suppose one would just have to get use to the "less solid" feel of it.
    My father had the W203, the C200K in automatic. He loved it.
    He was very annoyed at himself when he sold it, at 250'000km. Not a day's worth of issues other than normal wear and tear.
    The mechanic at that stage told him that the W203 was the last "good" C class.

Sure, expensive out of maintenance plan, but so is BMW, etc. The timing chain was a pricey R20k at 200'000km.

The normal services weren't too bad.

Love my XC90 to bits. Always the old story about resell value, getting old now. If you worry about that buy demo or slightly used (All brands by the way) Most reliable top-end SUV in a long time. Some standard feutures in the Volvo's are very expensive extra's on other brands. Used to also dirve Merc's but it seems that's for the masses now! Hate the interior's of late on the Mercs.
    Die reŽn is 'n dag nader as gister.

Ek het in laaste 3 weke 3 gekoop.
    Ek het nou n 300D, 230E, 250, 280, en 380se. Ek absolutely love n ou merc. As jy my wil label as brand fanatic, doen dit op ou merc
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9e7f84f0-3f9a-4f13-91f9-5350c2aabdbc.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	555691
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4e34c84d-8b82-42ee-bd12-cf7b91fa5f39.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	555692Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11fd9dd9-9d08-4e4a-ad93-90f97489c236.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	555693
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2