4wd Action Test - Bakkies - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Double cab 4x4's properly tested and compared - Finally

Quote Originally Posted by Henkus View Post
    Exactly!!! And please don't take me serious.
    Ditto
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton D/C 2.4 manual 4x4
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 Auto 4x4
    1998 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.0 V6 - SOLD
    2017 Ford Ranger XLS Auto 4x4 D/C - SOLD
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD D/C - SOLD

Default Re: 4wd Action Test - Bakkies

There is no such thing as a un-biased vehicle review. That being said these guys probably take it for the closest though. There were still a lot of assumptions made in the tests which maybe could have been kept aside.
    Darryn Van Rooyen
    2014 D/C Amarok 4Motion H/L Auto - 76mm Decat Downpipe and Revo Stage 1 Tune
    Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6

Interesting test. My take is that the modern DC have developed into a SUV offspring. DC`s these days have lost the work horse image and ability. If I need a DC today it will seldom see severe off roading. Based on that I will go for the V6 Amarok. In person I do not think any DC out there can match it. My second choice will be the 2.8 Hilux.

I do not say the Triton or Isuzu is no good but nearest dealers are 240km away. While I still owned Isuzu`s their Dealers were pathetic so it will take some real convincing to buy an Isuzu again.

But then it is only me and Swambo and I do not need a DC anymore. Also not afraid to take what I own on serious off road trippies
    Last edited by grips; 2020/01/17 at 07:57 PM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Some further comments from my (very laymen) side:

1. Still very subjective as some of the points was given/deducted on perceived facts i.e. the D-max is super reliable, the Amarok's transmission will overheat etc.
    2. some scoring based on what you can do aftermarket - i.e. suspension. The D-max and Collarado won because you could lift them the most
    3. I liked the Bushproof test. Didn't know the alternator placement on the Amarok was so low and the air intake was so badly designed. Will check if it is the same on the Touareg (same engine)
    4. The Canopy one was very interesting for me. Here, the Amarok should have won (can carry the most) but because they deem you will find it difficult to get equipment due to how wide it is, and therefore you might pay more, points were deducted
    5. Comfort was again very subjective. They called the Triton "roomy" and gave it the edge because it had cloth seats and a "less fussy" driver view?
    6. value for money - damn, the Amarok is cheaper than the Hilux!!!!! yet it scored badly.

Just some of my murmurings
    Where's the "Like" button ?

What I found interesting is over and above the "formal" subjective review, is what was the go-to vehicle when the trailer was stuck in the soft sand and had to be towed off the beach ? Often the unconscious or "gut-feel" shows that despite the subjective reviews one specific vehicle was selected to do this task that they KNEW will get it done.
    Riaan
    2009 Mazda DrifterX

Very good review the guys did there. Funny to see how different markets can influence the outcome of the same product. For instance the price. See how expensive the Ranger is over there?
    you can knock 10k (ausie dollars) off that price in SA. Where will it put the value for money score then?

Also, the ranger 2.0 10 speed was rated crap. In SA it gets rated great. But in SA it gets tested as a platkar doing school runs and highway drives to umhlanga sands. In Aus it gets tested as a proper 4x4.

All in all i think it was a fair review, for their market, and for the intended offroad user.
    Good to see guys reviewing 4x4s that can actually drive offroad. You often see journalists sweeting on a grade 1 trail while a 7 year old passes with his BMX.
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

17 Ranger Supercab Tdci (Sold)
    97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

I enjoyed the review.

Knowing their likes and preferences, I was not surprised by their choices, but think it was a pretty good review.

Interesting review which I liked. As always you need to take what somebody says in context. Referring to the ability to fit aftermarket products which influenced the points awarded.

What I also would like to see is the on road manners loaded and towing. A lot of your trip is spent on road getting there. (Unless I missed it in the review). What weight it can safely carry and at what speed.

Towing with your fully laden DC up a hill and you need to pass slow traffic. That accelaration which some engines can do better than others. Then the capacity debate in the context of performance out of a smaller engine versus how long it will last.

(Disclaimer) Idrive a Colt DC 4x4. It is a known fact that the Triton is a very good vehicle which should (as a vehicle) be rated much better in South Africa. It is good that this report actually is willing to do that. I am asking to understand here. If this test was done (as is) in SA would the outcome be the same? For the Triton and others.

Somehow I dont think so.

Do I like the Triton shape? No I still dont like the tail end inspite of improvements in recent years. Would I buy it even knowing the outcome of the test? No because of the lack of dealers and the availability of spares and what if I get a breakdown in the middle of nowhere? When I bought the Colt a big part of the decision was the fact that it was (at the time) produced and serviced by MB.

So a availability of dealers and service should perhaps also be considered here.

I watched that vid and was wondering about the comments regarding aftermarket suspension etc.

Surely if you follow their advice and buy a lower spec model and use the savings on after market "upgrades" you will void any and all warranties....

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    I've market this to watch it later. Just jumped to the results for now.

But:

What is bushproof?? Will be interesting
    Hilux transmission better than Amarok and Ranger is a joke
    What does canopies have to do with this test?
    Absolute valid points!

Pieter
    Piet the Camper
    Bl 24

As Estee pointed out earlier in the thread... not all the points measured have an equal value to the individual. If you discount the columns that are unimportant and prioritize the most important ones, not just taking the numbers into account, I think this can help. More to figure out what you need in a DC pickup than which brand to buy.

The Australian market is different to ours...

Triton is a "budget" value bakkie there.
    Toyota is king, just like here - sceptics think it is overpriced and underpowered, but everyone loves a Toyota.
    Ford does not make a good value statement there, as it does here.
    Dieselgate did not go well for VW in Australia... they do not see the lighter side... (don't even mention the lack of rear airbags for the kids)

I am no expert, but I was following and supporting a mates decision between that lot from here... our choice would have been (here at least,) a Ford 2.2 4x4 Auto... not really an option there (even if it is on the lists)
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    , but everyone loves a Toyota.
    No they don't

There we go guys, mine is a bit modified but I get a lot of complements on the look....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 4x4 Auto
    Mercedes A class (Platkar)
    BushLapa Boskriek "Boskewer" B599
    Fluid Synergy

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    There we go guys, mine is a bit modified but I get a lot of complements on the look....
    Very nice! Would you mind giving me more details on that front bumper?

Quote Originally Posted by Leeubok View Post
    Very nice! Would you mind giving me more details on that front bumper?
    That looks a lot like the ARB/ MCC bumpers?

It is an Iron Man but Safari Centre could not fit it as it had to be modified, was referred to Rock Shockers in Paarl who did an excellent job. Canopy (RSI), Snorkel and Tough Dog suspension was fitted by Safari Centre.
    Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 4x4 Auto
    Mercedes A class (Platkar)
    BushLapa Boskriek "Boskewer" B599
    Fluid Synergy

I think it was a good test and the Triton has done good even if I am a Toyota fan

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4