FJ vs Jeep Grand 3.6 or?

Question FJ vs Jeep Grand 3.6 or?

Hello Hello;

Okay now some people might shoot me but its a risk- I currently have a thread open asking should I buy a 2013 Jeep GC 3.6 or 3.0 CRD but after trolling this thread - I have seen allot about the FJ - this was generally a car I never considered but it seems to be very popular amongst the group.

So my job?

I am a salesrep - travel allot - but company pays my fuel - however my current daily driver is a 3.3 v6 hardbody and my toy is a 2015 stage 2 M135i - now I want to settle down about - found the woman I want to spend my life with and basically start saving some cash -holidays ,engagements ,weddings etc-so the toy must go for now, and I want a vehicle under R250k or as cheap as possible as the bmw will have abit of a shortfall.

So I travel around 35km a year-some years more - some much less. I am looking for something reliable,great to drive, and reasonable to maintain - i Saw the Jeeps and they are dead cheap and I know the 3.6 Penta as a solid motor,although my jeep knowledge is limited.

I like cars that you dont see everywhere , And I dont want a bakkie because I am going to keep my current one,additionally the insurance is very expensive on a bakkie because of the theft risk, and I am looking for low risk cars. I need something with 4 seats, fits 4 humans, I want to replace speed with off road ability and go do - sani, some 4x4 trails and live a more adventure lifestyle.

I do drive like a sane person even in my 135i but I do get my days.

so in short I found a JGC 3.6 13 model for 208 with 99k km and a FJ 2011 with 144k km for 221.

So any opinions will be appreciated - I have never been more confused in my life because its important to me to get this one right.
    BMW M135i - 2015 F21 - Blue Bullet - 440hp
    Nissan Hardbody Kingcab 3.3 V6 -2005 - Tank

Default Re: FJ vs Jeep Grand 3.6 or?

Go and drive both and decide.

Opinions are like %$holes, everyone has one.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

I can't say much about the Jeep,but check out the Toyota section about FJ problems-very few
    A legend in his own mind

The FJ is much small on the inside, so depends if you need the space or not. In my experience the FJ's are more expensive, so perhaps take a close look at that one. For the rest I agree with Rainier, go and drive them and make your decision based on that, you pay for it, you drive it, you decide.

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    Go and drive both and decide.

Opinions are like %$holes, everyone has one.
    Agree, go drive them both...........then get the FJ
    FJC - Just Cruising

I can give you some sound advice, Go drive the FJ 1st...
    Then you dont need to drive the Jeep

I've driven both and they are totally different vehicles. It depends what you want from it.
    If you are two people, the FJ can become a bakkie once you remove the seats or even just fold them flat.
    Add a roof rack and you wont have a problem.

They will be similar on fuel, a friend has the 3.6 GC and he gets slightly better than I do. The later FJ's have long range tanks as standard. This is a big must have!

Nothing breaks easily on the FJ, really...
    The seats are rather comfortable in my opinion and the arm rests are a winner for me!
    The ride is really great, really soaks up corrugations. They come standard with a decent size wheel/tyre combination (265/70R17), this makes the world of difference when hitting the dirt.
    You might want to upgrade the standard radio (head unit) for something better. Most do!
    Very easy to modify and plenty accessories for them.
    The later models (late 2013 + have crawl control and some gadgets positioned on the roof liner in front of the rear view mirror).

Enjoy the hunting!
    Current: Toyota FJ Sport Cruiser

Previous: VW Amarok ULTIMATE 4motion (auto)
    Previous: Amarok 4motion (MT) with a few goodies
    Previous: Isuzu KB300 Dteq 4x4 not that many goodies
    Prevous: Isuzu KB360 4x4 with a few goodies

You mention wanting to save money for the new chapter in your life. Don't get a Chrysler product. Looking at your budget it seems that you want something relatively new - Jeep will not give you reliability unless it's an XJ. Yes the 3.6L is good, but everything else is a hit and miss. Lots of scary stories on this forum. Also, Jeep/Fiat dealerships are few and far between. The FJ is what you want. It's thirsty but hey, you don't pay for it. Rather go for something reliable and with lots of support. We had a 4.7L V8 JGC, I think it was the WJ if I'm not mistaken. It was comfortable and amazing on the road. My family sold it as soon as we got the suspension repair quote. @FJpeople is it true that the suspension is very comfortable? I remember hearing that it's very, very comfortable. Also, there is something to be said about the peace and satisfaction of driving a vehicle that you know will take you places without breaking down or costing an arm and a leg every 6 months.

Good luck and congrats on the new chapter!

Quote Originally Posted by Schambies View Post
    @FJpeople is it true that the suspension is very comfortable? I remember hearing that it's very, very comfortable
    Well, I've come from bakkies. I had isuzu's and amaroks and were definitely the comfiest when I compared them to other bakkies at the time. I can easily and truthfully say that my FJ is the comfiest and least fussy vehicle I have owned.
    Current: Toyota FJ Sport Cruiser

Previous: VW Amarok ULTIMATE 4motion (auto)
    Previous: Amarok 4motion (MT) with a few goodies
    Previous: Isuzu KB300 Dteq 4x4 not that many goodies
    Prevous: Isuzu KB360 4x4 with a few goodies

Drive both....both really good although I have not owned a GC

I owned a FJ for three years...did about 25k/year in it and it did everything really well. The auto could be irritating in cruise control at the speed limit, likes to kick down and rev its nuts off on inclines...just learn to anticipate this and knock the gear lever into 4th. If you are not paying for fuel you are golden. Services at Toyota were reasonable, only when they change plugs does it become a bit expensive but thats every 100k if I recall correctly.
    Get one with the dual tanks if you can but thats not deal breaker as aftermarket tanks arenít astronomically expensive.
    If you have the urge to push a bit and miss your BM the FJ is suprisingly quick for what it is. I think you are going to do better with the resale on the FJ too if you decide to upgrade later.

Quote Originally Posted by jonoB View Post
    Well, I've come from bakkies. I had isuzu's and amaroks and were definitely the comfiest when I compared them to other bakkies at the time. I can easily and truthfully say that my FJ is the comfiest and least fussy vehicle I have owned.

I agree, most comfortable car Iíve owned. lovely cruiser for long distances

Geez, you FJ guys remind me of Shrek seeing Lord Farquart's palace for the first time.

Fortunately Jeep guys are not as thin-skinned as LR owners, but comparing a WK2 to WJ and XJ's is stupid.

By all means extol the virtues of your FJ, but unless you have owned a WK2 and it was a lemon why comment on Jeep reliability issues.

I have driven both and love both. Difficult choice.

If two came up at the same time in the same price range I would take the FJ. Reliability and service network. Highly sought after vehicles. Easier to live with.

Touring and trails including Sani, the FJ

I wish I had your problem
    Last edited by Estee; 2020/01/21 at 08:32 AM.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    Geez, you FJ guys remind me of Shrek seeing Lord Farquart's palace for the first time.

Fortunately Jeep guys are not as thin-skinned as LR owners, but comparing a WK2 to WJ and XJ's is stupid.

By all means extol the virtues of your FJ, but unless you have owned a WK2 and it was a lemon why comment on Jeep reliability issues.
    FCA products are notoriously unreliable. Yes, there are lucky owners that put on 200k km without major issues, but the man mentioned he wants to save money and I don't feel comfortable recommending a jeep. I wouldn't recommend a LR either. Again, I've had experience with both brands. I've had experience with Toyota and they have been bulletproof. Yes my post was focused on brand rather than product, but that is a good gauge for what to buy. Are jeeps and LRs bad vehicles? Not at all. I think both brands make some of the best touring vehicles out there, definitely some of the most comfortable. If the man had said that he has an unlimited budget for repairs I would not have suggested against them. Maybe share you experiences with repair costs and maintenance instead of just complaining about other posts?

The FJ Cruiser shares lots of components with the Prado 120 model, sort of a shortened chassis, same suspension and axles. The engine and gearbox are from the Prado 150. Like the Toyota 4Runner, which the FJ is actually based on, it got selectable 4 wheel drive, it's not a permanent 4x4 like the Prado.
    For 2 people the FJ is a great vehicle and offers enough space. There will still be enough luggage space for 4. If you want to go camping, you will need a roof rack if you are 4.
    Capability wise, the FJ Cruiser is very capable, even in standard form. I don't think there is a big difference between the Jeep and FJ in that aspect.

It's much easier to fit a roof rack on the FJ, than on the Jeep.
    FJs in your price range would come with a 72 litre fuel tank only, but it's easy to have a 85+ litre long range tank fitted, cost should be around 8-10k.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Schambies View Post
    FCA products are notoriously unreliable. Yes, there are lucky owners that put on 200k km without major issues, but the man mentioned he wants to save money and I don't feel comfortable recommending a jeep. I wouldn't recommend a LR either. Again, I've had experience with both brands. I've had experience with Toyota and they have been bulletproof. Yes my post was focused on brand rather than product, but that is a good gauge for what to buy. Are jeeps and LRs bad vehicles? Not at all. I think both brands make some of the best touring vehicles out there, definitely some of the most comfortable. If the man had said that he has an unlimited budget for repairs I would not have suggested against them. Maybe share you experiences with repair costs and maintenance instead of just complaining about other posts?
    My WK is on 370000km, engine never opened or turbo replaced.

Maybe direct your comments to specific models, instead of lazy generalisations.

Quote Originally Posted by JD_Crafford View Post
    Hello Hello;

Okay now some people might shoot me but its a risk- I currently have a thread open asking should I buy a 2013 Jeep GC 3.6 or 3.0 CRD but after trolling this thread - I have seen allot about the FJ - this was generally a car I never considered but it seems to be very popular amongst the group.

So my job?

I am a salesrep - travel allot - but company pays my fuel - however my current daily driver is a 3.3 v6 hardbody and my toy is a 2015 stage 2 M135i - now I want to settle down about - found the woman I want to spend my life with and basically start saving some cash -holidays ,engagements ,weddings etc-so the toy must go for now, and I want a vehicle under R250k or as cheap as possible as the bmw will have abit of a shortfall.

So I travel around 35km a year-some years more - some much less. I am looking for something reliable,great to drive, and reasonable to maintain - i Saw the Jeeps and they are dead cheap and I know the 3.6 Penta as a solid motor,although my jeep knowledge is limited.

I like cars that you dont see everywhere , And I dont want a bakkie because I am going to keep my current one,additionally the insurance is very expensive on a bakkie because of the theft risk, and I am looking for low risk cars. I need something with 4 seats, fits 4 humans, I want to replace speed with off road ability and go do - sani, some 4x4 trails and live a more adventure lifestyle.

I do drive like a sane person even in my 135i but I do get my days.

so in short I found a JGC 3.6 13 model for 208 with 99k km and a FJ 2011 with 144k km for 221.

So any opinions will be appreciated - I have never been more confused in my life because its important to me to get this one right.
    I've owned both GC 2005 GC 2010 3.0crd 2014 Rubicon 3.6 Penta, and now the FJ.

Jeeps are awesome and the last iteration of the GC is a beaut. All the bells and whistles you can think of and then some more you didn't imagine. My son drives the 3.6 OL and loves it. I recently sold the 3.6 Rubi and bought a 9yr old FJ. No tech, OK it has a reverse camera and rear PDC, but nothing else. Easy to fix and loads of space for 2 adults in the back, but access is difficult.

FJ is bullet proof but you need to service every 10k. Open road consumption at 125kmh is 11.4 litres 100km. Town consumption on the FJ is 15 litres 100km and GC about the same. FJ has a 160 litre tank and costs plenty to fill but lasts a long time and is awesome when traveling.

GC doesn't have the best service network and resale will bite you. Consumption is 10.4 litres 100km.

GC is an 8 speed auto, FJ is 5 speed auto. FJ is a very strong and ugly Donkey, GC is a gorgeous fast racehorse.

I prefer the FJ, but for the reason that I do a lot of overland touring with a trailer and prefer the towing power of the 4.0 litre.

You need to choose a car that makes you smile whenever you drive it
    Ubbo
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2014 Rubicon - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Ubbo View Post
    I've owned both GC 2005 GC 2010 3.0crd 2014 Rubicon 3.6 Penta, and now the FJ.

Jeeps are awesome and the last iteration of the GC is a beaut. All the bells and whistles you can think of and then some more you didn't imagine. My son drives the 3.6 OL and loves it. I recently sold the 3.6 Rubi and bought a 9yr old FJ. No tech, OK it has a reverse camera and rear PDC, but nothing else. Easy to fix and loads of space for 2 adults in the back, but access is difficult.

FJ is bullet proof but you need to service every 10k. Open road consumption at 125kmh is 11.4 litres 100km. Town consumption on the FJ is 15 litres 100km and GC about the same. FJ has a 160 litre tank and costs plenty to fill but lasts a long time and is awesome when traveling.

GC doesn't have the best service network and resale will bite you. Consumption is 10.4 litres 100km.

GC is an 8 speed auto, FJ is 5 speed auto. FJ is a very strong and ugly Donkey, GC is a gorgeous fast racehorse.

I prefer the FJ, but for the reason that I do a lot of overland touring with a trailer and prefer the towing power of the 4.0 litre.

You need to choose a car that makes you smile whenever you drive it
    Name:  Thank You.jpeg
Views: 127
Size:  10.1 KB

Thank You ladies and gentlemen;

The misses to be and my self went to WBC this weekend - just to have a look at the differences - to be honest the salesmen where beyond useless but we ended up between the wrangler and the FJ...

they both look fantastic and the levels of kit was proper,

Ultimately the Wrangler 3.6 is just a better 4 person car than the FJ -once I adjusted to my driving the position there was no space in the back of the FJ (i am 6.4ft) this unfortunately just wont work for us - whom want to take the car on holiday, load our friends in the car and do dumb things before we have little ones.

unless I missed something that the seats can move on the FJ -the Wife to be and myself both looked and said wrangler unlimited it is!
    as its the only vehicle that fits all our requirements - 4 seats, boot space and 4x4 as a bonus the roof comes off XD.

I am busy with a deal on wrangler 3.6 rubicon - I just hope all goes well - very excited to be part of the 4x4 family!
    BMW M135i - 2015 F21 - Blue Bullet - 440hp
    Nissan Hardbody Kingcab 3.3 V6 -2005 - Tank

Great to hear bud! Enjoy the wrangler May you embark on many many adventures