Botsalano Nature Reserve camping update

Default Botsalano Nature Reserve camping update

Hi good folk of the 4x4community,

Complements to you all for 2020, and may it be a great year for getting out and adventuring more often.

So, this is an update of the Botsalano Nature Reserve and our 3 night camping trip.
    (Please admin, remove if not appropriate, or move to relevant thread)

Last year October, 3 youtube vlogging channels traveled out to Botsalano Nature Reserve for a 3 night camping trip. 4x4ventures, Get Out Go, and Edward Bath Overlanding. We wanted to create new content for you all and experience a reserve I'd never been to.

For some of us it was a new experience, and for @Christoff from Get Out Go, it is a place he travels to at least once a year. His channel has a full video campsite review, so head on over if you would like to watch it.

For Edward Bath and myself it was magical, as we were blown away with the scenic visuals, different type of game species and the fact that we had never heard of this little know reserve.

A 287Km trip, one way from Johannesburg, Fourways, heading towards Mahikeng, or the Botswana, Gabs border post.
    The road trip is easy going (using google maps), and once crested over the plateau, the bushveld changes to what one can only describe as something similar, and very close, to that of the bushveld you'd expect in Botswana - hence the title of this episode: Botswana camping in South Africa.

We stayed at the Legora campsite, which was a bit small to cater for the 3 vehicles, but we made a plan no problem.
    Our setup was 2 X RTT's and 1 X off-road trailer, so we parked up at the entrance to the half fenced in Boma, setup camp, survived a storm, lit a fire, and cracked a couple of cold ones. As campfires do, we fell into a trance of great conversations whilst listening to the night sounds. Perfect.
    The campsite was great under the acacia trees, with more than enough shade from the Patio covering that has been put up, this surely saved us from the heat. Toilets are up to scratch and working, with showers connected to JoJo tank, albeit open to the elements, which is right up my alley.
    The wood pile was stocked every morning by the staff at our request.

Overall, a great trip and what a place. Would recommend this as your next out of city trip.

We hope to see you out there.

Watch our latest episode here, it was a cracker of a trip with good mates:
    https://youtu.be/2UjCwVO45tU
    Name:  4x4ventures_Botsolano_Camping_Youtube_Thumbnail.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  1.82 MB
    Do more, more often . . . live the dream

http://www.youtube.com/c/4x4ventures_southafrica

Current
    2016 2.2 XL 4X4 Manual Ford Ranger
    Previous
    2010 2.0 TDi 4X2 VW Amarok

Default Re: Botsalano Nature Reserve camping update

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Crocker View Post

Complements to you all for 2020, and may it be a great year for getting out and adventuring more often.

So, this is an update of the Botsalano Nature Reserve and our 3 night camping trip.

Last year October, 3 youtube vlogging channels traveled out to Botsalano Nature Reserve for a 3 night camping trip. 4x4ventures, Get Out Go, and Edward Bath Overlanding. We wanted to create new content for you all and experience a reserve I'd never been to.

For some of us it was a new experience, and for @Christoff from Get Out Go, it is a place he travels to at least once a year. His channel has a full video campsite review, so head on over if you would like to watch it.

For Edward Bath and myself it was magical, as we were blown away with the scenic visuals, different type of game species and the fact that we had never heard of this little know reserve.

A 287Km trip, one way from Johannesburg, Fourways, heading towards Mahikeng, or the Botswana, Gabs border post.
    The road trip is easy going (using google maps), and once crested over the plateau, the bushveld changes to what one can only describe as something similar, and very close, to that of the bushveld you'd expect in Botswana - hence the title of this episode: Botswana camping in South Africa.

We stayed at the Legora campsite, which was a bit small to cater for the 3 vehicles, but we made a plan no problem.
    Our setup was 2 X RTT's and 1 X off-road trailer, so we parked up at the entrance to the half fenced in Boma, setup camp, survived a storm, lit a fire, and cracked a couple of cold ones. As campfires do, we fell into a trance of great conversations whilst listening to the night sounds. Perfect.
    The campsite was great under the acacia trees, with more than enough shade from the Patio covering that has been put up, this surely saved us from the heat. Toilets are up to scratch and working, with showers connected to JoJo tank, albeit open to the elements, which is right up my alley.

Overall, a great trip and what a place. Would recommend this as your next out of city trip.

Thanks Ryan
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Thanks Ryan
    Thank you @Estee. Much appreciated and hope you enjoyed the episode.

Current
    Previous

One of my favorites, apart from the last stay a few years ago in the tented accommodation, they were in desperate need of repair then. We normally camped, but this one occasion.

We use to take a specific road which had loads of animals, stopped, sat on the RR, crack a cold one and just absorbed nature’s beauty, not disturbing the game. Awesome x1000!!

Perhaps it is time again.

They also suffered many rhino losses, which hopefully they got under control in the meantime. We once camped ~100 meters from a carcass, it was devastating to see.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride

So glad t see Botsalano is still worth a visit. I havent been for a while, but always enjoyed the rustic ness of the place. this has put it right back on my radar

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    One of my favorites, apart from the last stay a few years ago in the tented accommodation, they were in desperate need of repair then. We normally camped, but this one occasion.

We use to take a specific road which had loads of animals, stopped, sat on the RR, crack a cold one and just absorbed nature’s beauty, not disturbing the game. Awesome x1000!!

Perhaps it is time again.

They also suffered many rhino losses, which hopefully they got under control in the meantime. We once camped ~100 meters from a carcass, it was devastating to see.
    Hey Dirk, thank you for your response.

Yes, what I noticed, and you will see from the footage is that the animals are very skittish. Did think of poaching or controlled culling? Maybe?
    In the 3 days we were there, we never saw Rhino or Buffalo. But, nature wins every time for me. It is just a different place in most ways and it left an impression on me.

Always sad to hear about Rhino losses, and can in some way understand why it might be high there. Villages are within proximity to the reserve and there is allot of light pollution at night. Maybe easy access to the reserve at night, or day when not busy.

Thanks again.

Current
    Previous

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    So glad t see Botsalano is still worth a visit. I havent been for a while, but always enjoyed the rustic ness of the place. this has put it right back on my radar
    Absolutely. I enjoyed it and will definitely be back to explore more.
    I am an easy chap, so roughing it, is something I'd prefer and the rusticness of the camps was fine for me.
    The campsites do need a bit of maintenance, clean up and TLC, but other than that I wasn't too worried.
    Glad you enjoyed the episode, and keep that radar pinging.
    New content coming

Current
    Previous

Awsome awsome dankie vir deel

Thanks for sharing Ryan, great vid. Subscribed to your channel.
    Definitely adding Botsalano to the list of places to see. I thought your Ranger looked familiar, have seen it a few times round these parts
    '98 P38 Rangie

Craig

Although the facilities at Botsalano need a little TLC it's still one of my favourite places to camp in SA.

Friends of Botsalano and Mafikeng are also doing a lot of good work with regards to wildlife conservation and maintenance.
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...10#post4056310

Quote Originally Posted by Boslover View Post
    Awsome awsome dankie vir deel
    Thank you Boslover. Appreciate the comment. Keep well

Current
    Previous

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Thanks for sharing Ryan, great vid. Subscribed to your channel.
    Definitely adding Botsalano to the list of places to see. I thought your Ranger looked familiar, have seen it a few times round these parts
    Awesome man, and definitely a place to add to your list.
    Yeh, I get that allot. It's a bit loud visually, but hey, that's why it is the way it is. Thanks for the comment and we'll see you out there.

Current
    Previous

Quote Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
    Although the facilities at Botsalano need a little TLC it's still one of my favourite places to camp in SA.

Friends of Botsalano and Mafikeng are also doing a lot of good work with regards to wildlife conservation and maintenance.
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...10#post4056310
    Thank you for the share, and an awesome initiative. You can see that here and there sponsorship and finance is needed, so a great motivation to chip in and play our part in keeping Botsalano up to scratch.

Thanks again for taking us on a really great adventure.
    Last edited by Ryan Crocker; 2020/01/15 at 07:26 PM.

Current
    Previous

loved the episode and the whole vibe of your trip, laid back and fun. looking forward to the next one

Quote Originally Posted by Kariba View Post
    loved the episode and the whole vibe of your trip, laid back and fun. looking forward to the next one
    Thank you mate. What a lekker comment. Much appreciated and more to come as we go, and visit these magic places. A bit of sneaky info. the three of us head out to Nxai Pans, Botswana for an 11 day overland trailer trip, on Sunday the 19th Jan. Should be something quite spectacular.

Current
    Previous

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Crocker View Post

Great work! I have not watched the videos yet, I'll the moment I get home this evening. Not sure if you already discussed this in the video, which roof top tent is it by the way? Please give some info.

Nice video Ryan...

Just a quick question if I may please.... Did you power that NL Ice Maker from the Flexopower unit and if so what sort of 'consumption' did it use. I see the unit is 400w with a 1200w surge 'ultra-pure sine' with the ice maker draw being 220w (don't know what the startup surge is).

Thanks
    Happy are those that dream dreams and is willing to pay the price to make them come true