Mabua - KAA Trip

Default Mabua - KAA Trip

Evening All,

We will be doing a Mabua trip in June starting off with two nights in Twee Rivieren, then one night spare before entering at Mabua gate in the east. For the one spare night we could not get a booking at Nossob, so we will have to travel around the outside of the Park. Can one overnight somewhere along the Kap-Line along the periferie of the park. Is there camping place around Khawa.

Default Re: Mabua - KAA Trip

You can make Mabua gate from TR if you go outside the park like you plan to do. Camp at the gate campsites on the spare night.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Ask for space at the mpayathulwa overflow campsite once you at the gate.
    Much better than staying at the gate.

There is always the option of carrying on past the Mabua East gate to the cut line, around 17kms. You can camp on the cut line.
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

What about Jack's Pan?

The thing with Jack's pan is:

it is community property and in all fairness we should pay to camp there. However finding someone to pay is very difficult.

The road is overgrown now and you will pick up scratches. It is also off the beaten track and if no sat phone/ get a problem, your chances of a recovery are slim.

Potential of poachers.

Although I have been there solo, I would not go solo again.

No amenities, . Now I know that is attractive to many of us, but you do need to be fully self sufficient.
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    The thing with Jack's pan is:

it is community property and in all fairness we should pay to camp there. However finding someone to pay is very difficult.

The road is overgrown now and you will pick up scratches. It is also off the beaten track and if no sat phone/ get a problem, your chances of a recovery are slim.

Potential of poachers.

Although I have been there solo, I would not go solo again.

No amenities, . Now I know that is attractive to many of us, but you do need to be fully self sufficient.
    We were there on Friday night and it was not difficult at all to find someone to pay. If you drive into Mabua via Bray you have to pass Kokotsha, turn left at the sign that says Kgotla and 100m down the road there are two official buildings and you just ask where to pay for Jack's Pan. We were directed to the building on the right and it was a painless exercise but it does require patience and we booked on our way in for the site a week ahead of our actual stay. The access is not easy but we found sticking to the cut line and taking the entrance from the east was the best. The west access road ( off the Hukhuntsi road) was difficult to find and the south one was completely overgrown, but as for the east one as you say expect some bush rash. As for amenities there were none other than a longdrop but that was more than we got from Thupapedi and Swartpan.

We were there solo and the fact that we were about 50km away from any other known humans added spice to the experience and then the lions roared.... but I'll do write up on that when the time allows.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Nicely done and thanks for the info on the Kgotla.
    Stranger

BMW R1200R

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Thank you for the info on Jack's Pan. We are planning to go there in March 2020, before we go to Mabua. Please advice me on the amount that you pay the community to camp at Jack's.

"Although I have been there solo, I would not go solo again."

Stranger - do you mind if I ask why? My DH and I (two seniors from Canada) are planning to stay solo at Jack's, Peach, Zonye, and Towe during an August/September self-drive that will also include KTP and Mabua. Do you feel it is no longer safe to travel/stay solo in that area?

It’s very safe from a human interaction point of view, it is also incredibly remote. If you run into trouble you are truly on your own. The chances of you bumping into someone on your route is about nought to zero.
    Last edited by RobH; 2020/01/14 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matie B View Post
    Thank you for the info on Jack's Pan. We are planning to go there in March 2020, before we go to Mabua. Please advice me on the amount that you pay the community to camp at Jack's.
    We were only two adults and we paid 2x30Pula for area fees and 2x60Pula in camping fees plus 10Pula for the vehicle we paid in Rands. We were given a number by Dorothy from Kgalagadi Wholesales @ the Bray border post where we got our meat and fresh produce of Tuelo +26773695146 she is the person to contact.

I recommend the rump steak from Kgalagadi Wholesales if you need to stock up.

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    Itís very safe from a human interaction point of view, it is also incredibly remote. If you run into trouble you are truly on your own. The chances of you bumping into someone on your route is about nought to zero.
    Agreed you become very aware of how remote you are from civilisation but that's the attraction for us.

River Rat I am not 100% following you. The east entrance is it the one if follow the kokotsha cutline to the mabua cutline then turn north and then on that corner you turn right and then a few km later you turn left to Jacks Pan?

How is the road regards to overgrown on that cutline when you turn right from the mabua cutline up to Jacks pan?

Planning going to Jacks pan in April.
    Last edited by Francois111; 2020/01/14 at 06:49 PM.
    Francois

"Itís very safe from a human interaction point of view, it is also incredibly remote. If you run into trouble you are truly on your own."

Thanks! I thought perhaps poachers had become an issue. We always travel with a sat phone, and the company from which we rent the vehicle tracks our progress - precautions we take because we do travel solo.

"Agreed you become very aware of how remote you are from civilisation but that's the attraction for us."

Exactly what appeals to us also!

Quote Originally Posted by Francois111 View Post
    River Rat I am not 100% following you. The east entrance is it the one if follow the kokotsha cutline to the mabua cutline then turn north and then on that corner you turn right and then a few km later you turn left to Jacks Pan?

How is the road regards to overgrown on that cutline when you turn right from the mabua cutline up to Jacks pan?

Planning going to Jacks pan in April.
    Yes that's the east entrance the other two are so overgrown you won't find them easily. The cutlines are open but expect thick sand.