Solar charging while driving

Default Solar charging while driving

Hi Guys

I need an answer on this, please -

Info -
    Land Rover Defender 110 2008
    3 batteries in the vehicle
    1 x Main Battery
    2 x 105ah Hig cycle Auxiliary batteries (1 x Aux bat next to main bat, 1 x Aux bat in Bat box in vehicle.) 1.5m x 16mm cable connecting the 2 Aux batteries.
    Pos to Pos, Neg to Neg connection between the Aux Bat's

I have a normal Solenoid Aux bat system charging the 2 x Au xbatteries (Genesyz system)
    180watt Solar Panels fixed to the roof
    Blue Solar Mppt75/15 installed between the panels and connect after the solenoid on to the 2 x aux batteries.

Question -

Can i leave my solar panels connected while i am driving?
    This will mean that while i am driving my batteries will get a charge from the solar panels as well as the vehicles Alternator.
    Can i damage something while doing this?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Default Re: Solar charging while driving

I do and have had no issues. Not sure why there should be.

Thanks Hylton

Logic tells me that there should not be a problem, but i have learnt in the past that logic does not always apply to electricity.

Surely the MPPT will keep any current from going from the alternator back to the panels?
    Is it possible for the panel to supply too much power to the batteries that it goes back to the alternator and damages it?

I dont know...

Haas
    I have the same configuration in my Land Cr¨ser 1Hz but with only one 100 ah gel battery.
    I have a (midas) intelligent charger permanently connected as well.
    I have use it for 60 k km now. No issues thusfar.

So logically, the battery bank is fed independently from the alterator/solenoid as well as from the solar controller. When driving, the solar charger will sense that the battery is full (say 14V) and it will throttle down the amps passed to the battery. Solar panels are fitted with diodes to prevent reverse current. When stationary, the solar charger will take over and feed the battery.

Perhaps someone can add which protection mechanisms a solenoid system has? But it is my understanding that the solenoid disconnects and does not draw current from the battery bank. At most it will sense the voltage on the battery bank?

I would then connect whatever load to the solar controller's output. If the controller is fancy enough, it will at least protect the battery bank from excessive discharge. (Such as when running a fridge without low-voltage cut-out (Engel)).

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

Thanks guys, much apprciated

So, it sounds like its OK to leave connected but possible that panels controller will sense the full voltage at battery ( caused by alternator feeding it) and throttle down/switch off feed from panels. If that is the case the panels are just sitting there idly while engine does the charging so an opportunity for free energy is lost. Am I reading this right?