Aux fuel tank not feeding as it used to





Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Jhb
    Age
    37
    Posts
    57
    Thanked: 1

    Default Aux fuel tank not feeding as it used to

    I am having an issue with my aux fuel tank that I am wondering if someone else experienced the same issue.

    I have a fuel tank installed at the back of my ranger (above the spare wheel), that uses gravity to feed into my main tank. I installed it when the vehicle had about 10000km, and now that I am at 60000km, I noticed it is not as efficient as it used to; the vehicle was parked in my garage for 3 days, and it did not feed to the main. When driving every day, sometimes it only feeds after the second day of driving.

    I am wondering if it could be due to my rear shocks being more worn, and the back of my vehicle hanging lower than when it was originally installed, thus making it harder for gravity to do it's thing? Anyone else experienced something similar?

    Regards

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    59
    Posts
    16,007
    Thanked: 2255

    Default Re: Aux fuel tank not feeding as it used to

    I have seen plenty of these installations and I am sad to say, most are pretty poorly done. The design is usually fine, just installed poorly.

    Pipes get kinked etc. The biggest culprit is usually the breather. It mustn't have any low points. That is where the airlock starts. And then that tank is pretty useless.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Jhb
    Age
    37
    Posts
    57
    Thanked: 1

    Unhappy Re: Aux fuel tank not feeding as it used to

    Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    I have seen plenty of these installations and I am sad to say, most are pretty poorly done. The design is usually fine, just installed poorly.

    Pipes get kinked etc. The biggest culprit is usually the breather. It mustn't have any low points. That is where the airlock starts. And then that tank is pretty useless.
    Mmh, ok. The company I used was supposed to be quite reputed. So if I understand you correctly, it is when an airlock is created, that it stops feeding. Is there a manual way to circumvent this in case I am out in the bush and stuck without fuel in my main tank? I guess I will need to take it back to the installer, but just want to know if there is a solution for the time being.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    King Williams Town
    Age
    52
    Posts
    7,444
    Thanked: 1031

    Default Re: Aux fuel tank not feeding as it used to

    Quote Originally Posted by Liaank View Post
    Mmh, ok. The company I used was supposed to be quite reputed. So if I understand you correctly, it is when an airlock is created, that it stops feeding. Is there a manual way to circumvent this in case I am out in the bush and stuck without fuel in my main tank? I guess I will need to take it back to the installer, but just want to know if there is a solution for the time being.
    Maybe you have dirt in the pipe that is preventing fuel flow. If you think it's worn shocks, although imho shocks don't lift a vehicle. Jack up back to see if the fuel flows.

    Why not T in the reserve tank into the pipe that goes to your fuel pump. No need to worry about gravity feed because your fuel pump will suck.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Jhb
    Age
    37
    Posts
    57
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Aux fuel tank not feeding as it used to

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Maybe you have dirt in the pipe that is preventing fuel flow. If you think it's worn shocks, although imho shocks don't lift a vehicle. Jack up back to see if the fuel flows.

    Why not T in the reserve tank into the pipe that goes to your fuel pump. No need to worry about gravity feed because your fuel pump will suck.
    thanks, will give the jack a try and see what happens, that way i can at least cross one scenario off my list.

    Regards

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,114
    Thanked: 721

    Default Re: Aux fuel tank not feeding as it used to

    The Ranger I bought recently has a long range tank installed by previous owners and I want to have it removed. - Where or who can I get to have it removed and go back to standard? It also seem to not feed the main tank as it should so I just want it out.





    Bit of a hijack - sorry
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    Platkar - Haaihoendaai i20 1.4]

    Ex'es
    KIA Sorento 2.5 Crdi 4x4 (diesel guzzler of note)
    Nissan Terrano II 2.7
    Mazda Drifter DC 2.5 4x4
    Toyota 60 series 5.7 V8
    Daihatsu Rocky 2.8


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanked: 394

    Default Re: Aux fuel tank not feeding as it used to

    One of the problems with removing a long range tank is that the original filler pipes etc. were modified to make the tank work. You would probably need to find an original set of pipes somewhere. Very often the main filler pipe is modified.

    On the other, as Henri says, the breather pipe is often the culprit - or your trickle pipe is blocked. If your installation worked for 50,000km, then the original installation was probably fine.
    Last edited by gavpike; 2020/01/15 at 08:49 AM.
    Gavin

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    PUMULA
    Age
    59
    Posts
    350
    Thanked: 305

    Default Re: Aux fuel tank not feeding as it used to

    I have seen a wasp build a mud nest in the breather. Breather was plugged solid.

    and

    as the liquid fuel gravitation flow between tanks is very slow, it plugs up very easy.

    As said:- "
    If your installation worked for 50,000km, then the original installation was probably fine." it must be one of the above and easy to fix.
    Last edited by K-9; 2020/01/20 at 01:01 PM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain.
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    SOLD 2020 Jan.
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •