Painting aluminium (aluminum?)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Painting aluminium (aluminum?)

Can aluminium be painted successfully? How?
    Would like to make my solar panel slides underneath the roof rack, permanently black

Default Re: Painting aluminium (aluminum?)

if bare metal then paint first with 1k etch primer then normal ms primer and youre 2k paint or what ever

As mentioned in the previous post you need to use an etch primer for aluminium that you can get from better auto paint outlets. Clean the surface with thinners and rub it down with Scotch Brite to get a matt finish. This allows the primer to adhere to the surface without peeling off. The spray normally with a good quality 2k paint. Just remember that the aluminium etch primer, fill primer and paint will all use different hardener and thinners at different ratios.
    If the frames sections can be removed from the panels you could have the aluminium annadised black which will be hardier than painting.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

I have aluminum roofrack that I had sandblasted. Then painted it with hammerite special metals primer and then with black hammerite. After a couple of years of duty it is still as new. I don't think you can get better than that.
    Choose life

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Coenoes For This Useful Post:

I used automotive primer for aluminium with good success. Beige stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    I used automotive primer for aluminium with good success. Beige stuff.
    It is probably okay when there is no flex in the aluminium but it's best to use the stuff the paint manufacturers recommend. I've seen sheets of paint come off the side skins of a Lotus 7 replica because they used normal steel paint and primer. If you are taking the trouble to do the job, do it the correct way the first time.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    It is probably okay when there is no flex in the aluminium but it's best to use the stuff the paint manufacturers recommend. I've seen sheets of paint come off the side skins of a Lotus 7 replica because they used normal steel paint and primer. If you are taking the trouble to do the job, do it the correct way the first time.
    The local automotive paint shops have different stuff for aluminium, according to them. Not sure of the make or name of it? Used it to spray some of my LRs as well as the Al canopy and RR I built. It never peeled - only tough Arcacia thorns cut through it

Jotun hardtop Flexi. No primer needed, sand or scour well and paint. 10000 km and 2 years and the doors on my caravan are still fine! One of the well known offroad caravan manufacturers, also use this successfully.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    As mentioned in the previous post you need to use an etch primer for aluminium that you can get from better auto paint outlets. Clean the surface with thinners and rub it down with Scotch Brite to get a matt finish. This allows the primer to adhere to the surface without peeling off. The spray normally with a good quality 2k paint. Just remember that the aluminium etch primer, fill primer and paint will all use different hardener and thinners at different ratios.
    If the frames sections can be removed from the panels you could have the aluminium annadised black which will be hardier than painting.
    Hence my question. As I understand it, oxidization of alu takes place so quickly (although not visible to the naked eye) that you do need a special primer, applied immediately after "cleaning" the material. But that is what I read many years ago. I assume technology has advanced and I am pushing my luck. Somewhere in my subconscious, the Hammerite option got stuck.

My "project" is really not something huge - just to lenghts of 25x 40 alu channel fixed to the RR with brackets made from 25 x 50 angle alu. I think the whole setup will look a lot better if the alu could look the same as the RR. You know that itch, the one until the next camping trip arrives, don't you?

Thanks for all the advise, I thing for interest sake and to scratch the itch, I will experiment a bit?

Thanks a lot for the inputs!
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2020/01/13 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    Jotun hardtop Flexi. No primer needed, sand or scour well and paint. 10000 km and 2 years and the doors on my caravan are still fine! One of the well known offroad caravan manufacturers, also use this successfully.
    Thanks, never heard of that. Where can it be sourced?

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Thanks, never heard of that. Where can it be sourced?
    Ciry Paint and Tool, or Google Jotum stockist

Quote Originally Posted by janseekat View Post

Thanks!

For the choppers that we used offshore when I was at Court Helicopters we used to scrub the ally with scotchbrite, treat with Alodine, then prime with Plascon EpiWash Strontium Chromate primer, and paint with topcoat of choice.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

OP, what did you end up using, and did it work? I want to paint my canopy doors and roofrack black, so looking for a diy optionClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0582.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	291.0 KB 
ID:	578758
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton D/C 2.4 manual 4x4
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 Auto 4x4
    1998 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.0 V6 - SOLD
    2017 Ford Ranger XLS Auto 4x4 D/C - SOLD
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD D/C - SOLD

Crikey, lots of overcooking here - clean well with a scotchpad and use the best paint in a can - Rustoleum......one very light coat followed by two more at 20 minute intervals.
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    Crikey, lots of overcooking here - clean well with a scotchpad and use the best paint in a can - Rustoleum......one very light coat followed by two more at 20 minute intervals.
    On bare metal or aluminium you need to first prime with etch primer or else that paint will be flaking off well before it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    On bare metal or aluminium you need to first prime with etch primer or else that paint will be flaking off well before it's time.
    Yes sorry I meant Rustoleum Self etching primer, fantastic stuff not needed for normal metal though, just usr the Rustoleum 2X for that.
    FJC - Just Cruising

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Can aluminium be painted successfully? How?
    Would like to make my solar panel slides underneath the roof rack, permanently black
    Why paint it? Much easier to chemically colour it black. Much easier and much more successful.

We did that to colour mag wheels when we were younger, colour the whole face black! Just polish the front edges to shiny silver.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/07/08 at 08:01 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

You have a number of option, as indicated above. Obviously, you get what you pay for.
    I used:
    https://www.duram.co.za/product/ns5-...e-etch-primer/ follow the instruction to the letter.
    And good quality PU satin black paint.

Since I painted small surfaces, 40x50 alu channel for my solar panel carrier, it was easy to obtain a even and smooth finish. I used a small sponge roller - the newer type that seems to have fine hairs on it. It gives a nice textured finish.

Durability still to be proven, but I can tell you that the end result gives a very hard finish. Being alu, peeling may eventual be the problem.

If I had to paint larger or more surfaces, I would have gone for other products that may have warranted the costs.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast