Gas Geysers? - Page 2





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: Gas Geysers?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    durban
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,216
    Thanked: 854

    Default Re: Gas Geysers?

    Interesting subject. Dirk will be pulling 8kw if both geysers are on.I was also under the impression gas is slightly more expensive but in certain cases is better. Think b&b thats empty except for the weekend or long distances of pipe travel.Gas can be problematic in terms of flow rate(or so Im told)

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Friemersheim, Southern Cape
    Posts
    4,051
    Thanked: 2206

    Default Re: Gas Geysers?

    Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Interesting subject. Dirk will be pulling 8kw if both geysers are on.I was also under the impression gas is slightly more expensive but in certain cases is better. Think b&b thats empty except for the weekend or long distances of pipe travel.Gas can be problematic in terms of flow rate(or so Im told)
    Gas geyser must be as close as possible to usage point.
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Age
    48
    Posts
    15,657
    Thanked: 3105

    Default Re: Gas Geysers?

    In my case it will be back to back through exterior wall.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Vredenburg
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,711
    Thanked: 938

    Default Re: Gas Geysers?

    Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Interesting subject. Dirk will be pulling 8kw if both geysers are on.I was also under the impression gas is slightly more expensive but in certain cases is better. Think b&b thats empty except for the weekend or long distances of pipe travel.Gas can be problematic in terms of flow rate(or so Im told)
    Hi Plunger, it's either you or Mad Manny that told me about the Paloma and Renaai. Either way, thank you for that.
    For us a 19kg bottle lasts 2 months for four people showering.
    As I said my FIL has two Bosh and three Atlas gas geysers. They don't even com close in comparison. Heavy on gas and teperamental for water pressure.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Vredenburg
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,711
    Thanked: 938

    Default Re: Gas Geysers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    In my case it will be back to back through exterior wall.
    Not so fast.
    There are several requirements.

    Gas geyser installations may not be within 1m from a door, window or power outlet.
    Must be at least 2 metres away from any drain.

    There are other requirements as well but I can't remember them now.
    Last edited by Karoo Klong; 2020/01/13 at 10:09 PM.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hillrise, Kempton Park
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,830
    Thanked: 758

    Default Re: Gas Geysers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karoo Klong View Post
    Not so fast.
    There are several requirements.

    Gas geyser installations may not be within 1m from a door, window or power outlet.
    Must be at least 2 metres away from any drain.

    There are other requirements as well but I can't remember them now.
    AFAIK No.

    Not the geyser but the bottle station is what you are referring to. The geyser itself is not an explosion hazard.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Vredenburg
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,711
    Thanked: 938

    Default Re: Gas Geysers?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    AFAIK No.

    Not the geyser but the bottle station is what you are referring to. The geyser itself is not an explosion hazard.
    Strange. I tend to agree with you.
    The installation regulations quoting SANS referred to the unit also.
    But I'll have a look again when I'm back.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    59
    Posts
    28
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Gas Geysers?

    We have been running a dewhot 12l for over 10 years. With just the two of us, a 19kg bottle lasts six months!

    The bottle is outside in a locked cage.

    The only thing that has gone wrong in all that time is the lcd display went dark.

    There is a local supplier in Cpt, and R150 later sorted that issue

    One of my better decisions, this.

    Highly recommended.
    Last edited by xsel7; 2020/02/09 at 03:29 PM.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Durban North
    Age
    65
    Posts
    597
    Thanked: 989

    Default Re: Gas Geysers?

    I agree
    The only gas geyser I use

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Despatch
    Age
    36
    Posts
    27
    Thanked: 14

    Default Re: Gas Geysers?

    Yip, by installing a timer on each geyser and letting it kick in 1 hour before your peak usage time will save you a lot. No need for a geyser to run all day. But load shedding can be a problem if you have load shedding when the timer kicks in, but you can always manually switch the timer in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    Dirk

    Although I am a stern supporter of gas geysers it is not at all a moneysaving exercise but rather convenient when the power fails. I doubt if we are there yet and the few hours load shedding is not a good excuse.

    I assume your geyser element is 3000W, that is 3kW. I assume you pay not more than R2/kWh giving you R6/h when your geyser element is running.

    With a little adjustment to your living schedule you can switch a geyser for one hour a day, everyday. That will give you R6 x 30 days = R180. Not too bad, hey.

    Now compare a newly installed gas geyser.

    Installation with parts, labour and CF = R7000
    New 48kg gas bottle deposit = R500
    Total = R7500

    To recover this capital expense is going to take quite a while. Maybe wait until one geyser fails and then when you claim from insurance ask them not to instal a new unit but pay you the funds as you will be going for solar/gas. At least then you gain something towards your project. I did and it is possible.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest, Malaysia
    Age
    63
    Posts
    18,722
    Thanked: 6059

    Default Re: Gas Geysers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karoo Klong View Post
    Strange. I tend to agree with you.
    The installation regulations quoting SANS referred to the unit also.
    But I'll have a look again when I'm back.
    Neither the geyser nor the bottle are an explosion hazard, its the gas that is a problem.
    Cheers

    ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

    The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hillrise, Kempton Park
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,830
    Thanked: 758

    Default Re: Gas Geysers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Neither the geyser nor the bottle are an explosion hazard, its the gas that is a problem.
    Not actually correct.

    Why does the gas on our stove plate not explode?

    Maybe the compressed gas in the bottle combination?
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tesselaarsdal (dis inni Kaap!)
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,027
    Thanked: 570

    Default Re: Gas Geysers?

    Dirk, gaan kyk na hierdie "thread" - dit behoort jou vrae te antwoord: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...62#post4323462

    Wat die installasie regulasies aanbetref: Ek het die aangehegde foto gebruik om myne self te doen en daarna 'n installeerder gekry vir 'n COC. Geen probleme gehad nie. Let asseblief op 2 dinge: Indien die gasbottel binne die woning/struktuur gehou word, mag dit nie groter as 9kg wees nie. Indien die bottel/s buite is, moet die gaspype vanaf die toestel tot waar dit buite die struktuur is, van koper wees.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

    1959 SII 88"
    196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Vredenburg
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,711
    Thanked: 938

    Default Re: Gas Geysers?

    Quote Originally Posted by EttiennedK View Post
    Dirk, gaan kyk na hierdie "thread" - dit behoort jou vrae te antwoord: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...62#post4323462

    Wat die installasie regulasies aanbetref: Ek het die aangehegde foto gebruik om myne self te doen en daarna 'n installeerder gekry vir 'n COC. Geen probleme gehad nie. Let asseblief op 2 dinge: Indien die gasbottel binne die woning/struktuur gehou word, mag dit nie groter as 9kg wees nie. Indien die bottel/s buite is, moet die gaspype vanaf die toestel tot waar dit buite die struktuur is, van koper wees.
    Daarshy.
    Dis presies die uitleg wat ek ook verkry het om te voldoen aan 'n gas COC.
    Ek het ook alles self gedoen maar die persoon wat die COC uitreik moet self die soldeer werk vir die gas pype doen tot by die geyser anders gaan hy dit nie uitreik nie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •