Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

Default Re: Intermittent Fasting

Quote Originally Posted by Ooba View Post
    How much water do you drink per day? Try 5 litres of water a day for a few days.
    I average about 2-3 liters a day. But I'm open to try a little experiment.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Week 11 results:
    Week’s weight lost/(gained) – 2.1kgs
    Cumulative weight lost/(gained) – 19.4kgs
    Distance cycled this week – 131kms

Good week After 11 weeks I have only once failed to lose less than 1kg. After 6 weeks of IF using LCHF, I’ve lost 8.6kgs, very happy with these results, we have been very strict with carb count and except with mate’s 60th party haven’t deviated from the fasting period at all. Linda lost 0.9kgs this week and in 6 weeks has lost 5.3kgs. Tough week coming up, moving house and have to live with mates for 3 days.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    So, I thought I’d share some of my experiences.
    This thread has had me thinking for a while and I find it rather interesting to see people’s progress and variations to what works for them.

I started “IF light” shall we call it, about 2/2.5 months ago.
    What I did was cut milk from my coffee (I drink a lot of it), this was primarily to try to reduce mucus build up that was leading to coughing fits.
    From there I stretched the gap between last and first calorie consumption, to more or less 16:8.
    I have not changed what I eat, just when.
    I eat too much carbs and consume too much sugar (none in my coffee for a few years now) but am working on it.

I have not been religiously sticking to it, but rather a “more often than not” approach.

In that period I have lost about 8kgs, there was however two periods where there was some weight gain - 1st I was involved in a car crash and was on some pretty heavy pain meds, that definitely had an impact, and second was Easter weekend - we did long hours in the car and did not eat properly during the day, rather lots of snacking on the move.

I think that this little experience has showed me what can be achieved using IF.
    I don’t have much weight to lose, but rather the belly fat.

For the record, I’m 2.05m tall and currently 102.4kgs (as of this morning).
    My weight has been pretty consistent between 105 & 110kgs for the last 15 years, with a peak at about 113kgs a few years ago.
    Ok, so a bit more on my experience here.

I’m not very strict, and don’t really think I need to drop more weight necessarily, but would like to drop a few more cm around the belt line- have dropped 2 notches on the belt during this experiment.

I seem to have stabilised between 101.5kgs and 102kgs with the odd day just a few hundred grams above or below.

To get more progress, I think the next change would be to cut down on carbs and up the exercise.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mambo For This Useful Post:

To get more progress, I think the next change would be to cut down on carbs and up the exercise.
    Yes, I think you say in the other post that you eat sugar and refined carbs, so that's where you need to start.

Once glycogen stores are full the liver will start lipogenesis and store the remaining glucose as fat. In your case, around your belly.

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    and refined carbs, ....
    Tashego, can you expand a bit of what is viewed as non-refined carbs if there is such a thing.

Under refined carbs I understand things like potatoes, white bread, white rice. But where does oats, brown rice and bulgar wheat fall? Also things like corn on the cob? Rice noodles? I looked on the packet for rice noodles and it seems quite low in carbs (no sugar at all, almost no fat which is important factor for my specific eating lifestyle) and we quite like rice noodles. Sort of end up eating it once every 2 weeks or so.

EDIT: I asked quite a few questions about IF and low carb for my son a few weeks ago. He never did the IF, but we looked at his carb intake a bit. Did not go crazy with it, but not going to school, he ate slightly less bread. I also got him off sugar in his coffee and he ate no other added sugars like energy bars which he sometimes take to school. I limited potatoes to once a week absolute max, but I did include butternut, sweet potato, bulgar wheat and brown rice on some days. He responded quite well.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/05/11 at 10:50 AM. Reason: removed unnecessary info
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Tashego, can you expand a bit of what is viewed as non-refined carbs if there is such a thing.

Under refined carbs I understand things like potatoes, white bread, white rice. But where does oats, brown rice and bulgar wheat fall? Also things like corn on the cob? Rice noodles? I looked on the packet for rice noodles and it seems quite low in carbs (no sugar at all, almost no fat which is important factor for my specific eating lifestyle) and we quite like rice noodles. Sort of end up eating it once every 2 weeks or so.

EDIT: I asked quite a few questions about IF and low carb for my son a few weeks ago. He never did the IF, but we looked at his carb intake a bit. Did not go crazy with it, but not going to school, he ate a bit less bread. I also got him off sugar in his coffee and he ate not other added sugars like energy bars which he sometimes take to school. I limited potatoes to once a week, but I did include butternut, sweet potato, bulgar wheat and brown rice on some days. He responded quite well. Unfortunately the bottom fell out of my weight on the same eating plan and I am now officially under weight. Probably quite seriously so and to turn that around is usually quite difficult for me.
    It's a good question and it would be interesting to hear what others think.

I tend to think that carbs that are incorporated within their natural coating and substrate, like a whole fruit or some whole grain, thanks to the natural fiber content have a lower glycemic index, because the fiber and matrix they are in prevents full absorption.

On the other hand, flour based products, fruit juices etc, being separated from their natural matrix, get absorbed more efficiently and quickly, hence a higher glycemic load.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Ok, so a bit more on my experience here.

I’m not very strict, and don’t really think I need to drop more weight necessarily, but would like to drop a few more cm around the belt line- have dropped 2 notches on the belt during this experiment.

I seem to have stabilised between 101.5kgs and 102kgs with the odd day just a few hundred grams above or below.

Please, please, pretty please don't develop a mindset that links exercise to diet. They are two separate things although they work together complementary and are very intertwined.

When you adopt a mindset that excercise supports a 'diet' you stop excercising the moment you abandon the 'diet'.

Both of these things should be a lifestyle. Healthy eating habits and healthy excercise habits should be kept as separate issues otherwise your struggles with implementation will make both fail.

I still need to move, even when I have hit a speed wobble with nutrition. I still need to eat well, even when I have hit a speed wobble with excercise. If they are one thing in your mind, both will cave at the first speed wobble for either.

Your first response will be to think 'but I'm not'. However, the language our brains use will link it together because you are implementing both together unless you are deliberate in your thinking about it. Be careful in the language you are using in your self talk during implementation, is all I'm suggesting.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    Please, please, pretty please don't develop a mindset that links exercise to diet. They are two separate things although they work together complementary and are very intertwined.

When you adopt a mindset that excercise supports a 'diet' you stop excercising the moment you abandon the 'diet'.

Both of these things should be a lifestyle. Healthy eating habits and healthy excercise habits should be kept as separate issues otherwise your struggles with implementation will make both fail.

I still need to move, even when I have hit a speed wobble with nutrition. I still need to eat well, even when I have hit a speed wobble with excercise. If they are one thing in your mind, both will cave at the first speed wobble for either.

Your first response will be to think 'but I'm not'. However, the language our brains use will link it together because you are implementing both together unless you are deliberate in your thinking about it. Be careful in the language you are using in your self talk during implementation, is all I'm suggesting.
    Thanks,

My comment on the exercise was more a general comment than specific to weight/waist loss, I spend a lot of time on my posterior- long hours in the office and driving.

I just think that it may have a linked impact.

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    Yes, I think you say in the other post that you eat sugar and refined carbs, so that's where you need to start.

Once glycogen stores are full the liver will start lipogenesis and store the remaining glucose as fat. In your case, around your belly.
    Yup, the carbs is probably the biggest “issue”.
    Pasta is a big staple in our house, and the proportion to other meat and veg is typically a bit distorted.

WRT sugar, being often on the road, the “salesman’s lunch” often takes hold - chips, coke and a bar-one.....

Unfortunately the bottom fell out of my weight on the same eating plan and I am now officially under weight. Probably quite seriously so and to turn that around is usually quite difficult for me.
    Christa, I think these sentences are posted on the wrong thread. This is a problem that most of us on this thread can only dream of having No, seriously, I can understand that for you this will be as big a problem as over weight is to those of us doing IF or LCHF or both. Good luck in resolving your problem.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    Christa, I think these sentences are posted on the wrong thread. This is a problem that most of us on this thread can only dream of having .
    Yes, apologies Ted. I should not have posted it, it could be seen as a bit insensitive. I will edit my post, but it will remain in your quote thereof.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Yes, apologies Ted. I should not have posted it, it could be seen as a bit insensitive. I will edit my post, but it will remain in your quote thereof.
    No, please don't, I was only kidding, I'm certain nobody here will take any offense. Oh, looks like I was too late.
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2021/05/11 at 11:21 AM.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

Thanks,

My comment on the exercise was more a general comment than specific to weight/waist loss, I spend a lot of time on my posterior- long hours in the office and driving.

I just think that it may have a linked impact.
    There is a definite link. Even if you run an hour a day after an eight hour work day, you will still only be classed as an active couch potato. That's why you hear of so many so called healthy guys that collapse of heart attacks. They are fit in only one small defnition of the word. Reference an older article called 'sitting is the new smoking' that was very controversial in its time.

You need to do both cardio and resistance training on a regular basis. In addition you need to be deliberate to do fascial work at least once a week. It's the correct combination of movement that counter acts the day in the chair.

If you spend 8 hours a day sitting at a desk, then sit in your car driving home for another hour, then sit in front of the tv for the whole evening you never remove the chair from your body. If you then choose to cycle to counteract that you still remain in the chair posture. Or if you go for a run, but instead of maintaining good tensegrity in your posture, you lean forward. It's shocking how subtle movement makes the different.

You need to move in ways that remove the chair from your body. That open up your posture. That use the muscles that you never used as part of your day. You need to move all of your joints to their full range so that you don't lose range of motion.

You need to breathe diaphramatically to the point of full exhalation which it is doubtful you have done at all during your day. You need to pandiculate to counteract the stress that is stuck in your body. You need to move in ways that rehabilitate your stuck places. And the places that your brain 'forgot' because you never use them.

Also, you need to learn how to move throughout the day to counteract the effect of keeping your body in the same posture for a long time during the day. You need to come to a point so that you can move between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems to enable you to actually rest when you sleep.

The journey to develop a programme that works for your lifestyle and excercise preferences is not a quick one. But it is beautiful and facinating and exciting as you feel your body changing and restoring and getting stronger.

I'm stronger and fitter at 47 than I was in my 20s. I find it remarkable.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

For those who can do a braai without a tjop but not without a broodjie -

No-flour cheese bread - makes in minutes, bakes in 25. Quite salty, but for me it will fill the braai broodjie gap.

Cut in blocks strips, sandwich slice size. I made it without the onion/garlic - and would use fresh if I do add it. I also will try do it on the fire next time.

Credit: https://www.thedietchefs.com/keto-cheese-bread/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0122.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	285.9 KB 
ID:	615076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cheese bread.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	180.7 KB 
ID:	615077  
    Last edited by EHoffmann; 2021/05/11 at 03:18 PM.
    ZS1ETphonehome

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

Christa, I wish you had left it so that the zealous IF crowd can see there are a few individuals that need starch. We fall on a spectrum from can't tolerate any to must have some and it's helpful for people to know that.

Also, those that struggle with being underweight struggle as much as those who are overweight, if not more. I have a friend that loses weight at the drop of a hat and spends all her effort trying to maintain a reasonable body weight.

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37