Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 14 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Default Re: Intermittent Fasting

Quote Originally Posted by Finn McCool View Post
    Bullet Coffee is my new favorite!!
    Currently I find it worse. That nice blend I received the other Sunday - as well as the one I normally drink, is about all I can stomach without milk. And even then - just about. But persisting till who knows when before I give up.
    Coffee with milk is still SO much better.
    Flying Spaghetti Monster

ZS1ETphonehome

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

Been a rollercoaster month on the IF side. The scale is a pain in the a** because I get stupid figures appearing that I don't like seeing..

Due for my monthly dietician visit tomorrow so will be breaking the equipment at gym to hopefully reduce a few cm's. Last notch on the belt so hoping to buy a new one soon

Nope, I just didn't lose any weight. I picked up two or three and lost them again. It's unlikely they were fat kgs. They were most likely fluid shifts.

This is a standard pattern for me. In between long times of frustration I drop a bit here and there. I'm mostly sharing on this thread to show people that it's not always as simple as losing a kg a week like some of the more innocent seem to think. The calorie in/ calorie out crowd need to see the realities of those who don't fit in their teeny tiny little box.

I don't need the accountability or transparency of a thread like this to keep me motivated. I am able to self manage this process. My hope is that someone that has a tougher time will read it and understand that it is OK if you don't reach the finish line with the shortest shortcut. That it's not all or nothing. That if you persist, if you keep on doing healthy things, eventually the body will respond in a healthy way. Even if it doesn't follow your perceived time table or expectations. That you get up again tomorrow and you are faithful again. And that all the little bites, even though they don't conform to your expectations still have a positive impact over time.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post
    Are you seeing any change in belt notches? Woman aren't even remotely as lucky as men - even if the circumstances are identical.
    Yes, we find the differences between Linda and my weight loss quite amazing. We are basically eating exactly the same food although I probably eat about 50% more than she does. Due to a foot injury Linda has been unable to exercise as much as I have. Only twice in fourteen weeks has she lost more than I have even in percentage terms.

The good news is that after said 14 weeks both of us have lost weight every single week which has been a great outcome. As regards "belt notches", I wish we had actually taken some measurements at the start, what I can say with absolute certainty is that both of us are fitting into clothes that we could only dream about when we first set out. As we are a retired couple I hardly ever have to wear an actual belt but last week I wore a pair of jeans and they were pretty loose, I put my belt on to support the jeans and I need new holes to use it.

Our self discipline has been absolute, I think because we "feed" off one another, it is so much easier to go through this together. Whilst our motivation is very strong I have found the accountability to this thread extremely helpful and the encouragement from others has had a profound positive impact.
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2021/06/03 at 02:09 AM.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D and 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Finn McCool View Post
    Bullet Coffee is my new favorite!!
    Hi Seamus, please explain. I've googled Bullet Coffee and seen a few different recipes, how exactly do you make it? Do you only drink this during your non-fasting period or do you drink it whenever you like? I only drink black coffee (very occasionally) during fasting periods and add cream (far better) during non-fasting periods. I would have thought that drinking Bullet Coffee may actually break your fast, am I correct? Thanks John
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    Hi Seamus, please explain. I've googled Bullet Coffee and seen a few different recipes, how exactly do you make it? Do you only drink this during your non-fasting period or do you drink it whenever you like? I only drink black coffee (very occasionally) during fasting periods and add cream (far better) during non-fasting periods. I would have thought that drinking Bullet Coffee may actually break your fast, am I correct? Thanks John
    Bulletproof coffee, of which there are many variations, will indeed break a fast as it's a calorie bomb.

I would try to wean myself off that sort of stuff (even tho I like butter!) as soon as you become fat adapted. It's really in my opinion only needed at the beginning of the keto process to push ketones production and shift metabolism. That fat will have to somewhere, so if you are still in the weight loss phase Bulletprrof coffee doesn't help...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

For me it's a black coffee with a good blob of butter stirred into it...it keeps the cravings at bay in my opinion. I only have it in the morning after psyllium...my OMAD is at 18.30ish...at the moment it works for me.
    Clothes at the back of the cupboard that I was about to chuck now fit me with space to spare...that made me very happy .

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finn McCool For This Useful Post:

Week 15 result:
    Week’s weight lost/(gained) – 1.4kgs
    Cumulative weight lost/(gained) – 24.7kgs

Record breaking week. At 85.8kgs I am the certainly the lowest weight I have been for over 40 years and quite probably I am the lowest I have been since leaving school or possibly since my basic training doing national service. No absolute records kept in those carefree days. I am now within 0.8kg of my ultimate target of 85.0kg, hopefully next week or the week after. Wish I had taken measurements of waist etc before I started this lifestyle/diet, we are going out tonight so tried on a pair of jeans (I never wear longs out of choice), jeans were pretty baggy, obviously, put on my belt, had to make new holes in it, the hole I am now using is 9cm from the hole I previously used . After 6 years Linda and I were able to take our tandem out of storage and start joint exercise, finally able to find an exercise Linda can manage with her buggered foot. Linda lost 0.6kgs.
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2021/06/08 at 06:23 AM.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Crazy Crazy crazy well done!
    Zerubbabel 2 the 2008 4.8 turbo Patrol with some kit
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabel’s way! (Zech 4:7)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

I am up 900g this week. It's the direct consequence of my bad choice(s).

On Friday I discovered one of my favourite European fruit juices. I haven't seen one for many years so of course I snatched up the opportunity to relive happy memories.

It was supposed to be an isolated incident. A blip, an allowable blip. No mess no fuss. Other than a portion of mash some weeks ago I have been on clean keto since Feb. So a juice theoretically should be fine.

Famous last words. It triggered a sugar craving of note. As the only thing approaching sugar I had in the house was a bottle of Nutella, I consumed a portion of that. As you can see, my body does not allow for 'cheat days' or in fact cheating of any kind. I have to be very circumspect in my diet, otherwise I balloon out of control.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

I feel your pain...my wife came home with a packet of chocolate coated Hobnob's ...needless to say the wheels fell off!...soooooo lekker though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    I am up 900g this week. It's the direct consequence of my bad choice(s).

On Friday I discovered one of my favourite European fruit juices. I haven't seen one for many years so of course I snatched up the opportunity to relive happy memories.

It was supposed to be an isolated incident. A blip, an allowable blip. No mess no fuss. Other than a portion of mash some weeks ago I have been on clean keto since Feb. So a juice theoretically should be fine.

Famous last words. It triggered a sugar craving of note. As the only thing approaching sugar I had in the house was a bottle of Nutella, I consumed a portion of that. As you can see, my body does not allow for 'cheat days' or in fact cheating of any kind. I have to be very circumspect in my diet, otherwise I balloon out of control.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finn McCool For This Useful Post:

That's the thing, this crap is quite delicious, it's designed to be...there's a you tube video where Rob Wolff talks about the guys that work for Doritos, biochemists of notes who know exactly what chemical triggers what, and how to hack the satiety pathways...it's not a corn chip anymore. And the guys working on these formulas do not touch the stuff, they are all super health conscious!

Then after a lifetime of eating this stuff, their friends on the board of Bayer/Novartis etc will sell you the statins and the other palliatives that might keep you alive a little longer.

I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist, but this one rings plausible to me...

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Up 100g. Without any 'help' from me.

For the rest of this week I'm taking a break from good behaviour. As IF and low carb is my lifestyle and not a 'diet' it is not a burden for me. I have made peace with the system's limitations and they don't bother me often.

However, as you might have noticed by now I my journey is not as straight forward as most. I do take a break for a week or two every three to six months and just maintain, where I don't conciously focus to lose weight.

However, for the next week my routine will be very disturbed. It will be very difficult for me to avoid disrupting my pattern. Instead of fighting it I'm embracing the opportunity to eat some things I normally won't. I will say thank you for the opportunity, enjoy them to the full and then wave them goodbye. So next week I most likely will be up, with significant help from my side.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    Up 100g. Without any 'help' from me.

For the rest of this week I'm taking a break from good behaviour. As IF and low carb is my lifestyle and not a 'diet' it is not a burden for me. I have made peace with the system's limitations and they don't bother me often.

However, as you might have noticed by now I my journey is not as straight forward as most. I do take a break for a week or two every three to six months and just maintain, where I don't conciously focus to lose weight.

However, for the next week my routine will be very disturbed. It will be very difficult for me to avoid disrupting my pattern. Instead of fighting it I'm embracing the opportunity to eat some things I normally won't. I will say thank you for the opportunity, enjoy them to the full and then wave them goodbye. So next week I most likely will be up, with significant help from my side.
    E

Emmie, I am wondering if these small increases/ decreases of 100g are even worth you following up and worrying about. 100 g is nothing and could be up to a lot of things, including different levels of hydration or even the food you have in your GI at the time you weigh yourself. Muscle is very heavy too, heavier than adipose tissue: I don't know how much you exercise but many people can put on 100g of lean mass quite quickly...which is why the scales are not always your friend and can mislead you.

There are those with a BMI that is not optimal but they are metabolically healthy and their blood work is great: low HbA1C, low insulin, high HDL etc. Also those with a good BMI but with blood parameters that are borderline diabetic, TOFI types.

What is your reason for trying to lose weight, if you don't mind me asking? In my case I was showing early signs of insulin resistance: visceral fat, high tryglicerides, tired and sleepy after meals, expanding waistline, sugar cravings etc

Anyway enjoy your break!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

I don't worry about 100g. It can be anything.

I'm 35kg overweight currently and on the verge of mortally obese. My doctor is determined that I lose weight for metabolic reasons. Also, my body doesn't like being fat. My skin rubs through etc.

I'm interested in IF more for cell repair reasons than anything else. As you know, you need the longer fasts for that. It also helps with the continuing inflammation that I'm fighting.

As adrenals don't want you to skip meals and inflammation insists on long fasts, I walk a tightrope of conflicting needs.

I'm tracking weight gain more than weight loss. You will see how much I'm going to balloon in this week just through introducing potatoes and fruit sugar. It's shocking how disproportionately my body responds to it.

I plan on enjoying a pear or two, freshly squeezed orange juice every morning, a few green juices, a dessert on Sunday with sugar most likely. Some baked potatoes and mash each once during the week. And a cordial 3x. All that is going to lead to a gain of anywhere between 2-5 kg.

I'm fighting to not become mortally obese, weight loss is a massive bonus for me. It is a sign of healing more than a goal in itself. Visible evidence that things are starting to function.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Week 16 result:
    Week’s weight lost/(gained) – 1.7kgs
    Cumulative weight lost/(gained) – 26.4kgs

Done it, I’m there . At 84.1kgs I have reached my target of getting under 85.0kgs, never imagined 16 weeks ago that I could reach this weight, my BMI reads 23.8. On 23 February I entered first post on this thread, my target was 95.0kgs by 30 June, can’t believe how relatively easy I reached 10.9kgs below the target. Sincere thanks to IF, LCHF plus all the advice and encouragement I have received from regular contributors on this thread. Now the challenge is to keep the weigh off, a new phase of lifestyle awaits. Some concern over recent blood tests performed by doctor, queries to follow. Linda lost 1.0kgs, and cumulative of 15.9kgs, very proud of her too.

From this on 22/2/21 to

This on 15/6/21
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weight 15_6_21.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	359.1 KB 
ID:	618724   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weight 22_2_21.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	576.3 KB 
ID:	618725  
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2021/06/15 at 01:35 AM.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

30. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Epic achievement John....I've had a few distractions off late which has caused me to loose focus and stagnate on 87/88 kg ...my VERY happy place is also in the kitchen which doesn't help matters much.
    Week 16 result:
    Week’s weight lost/(gained) – 1.7kgs
    Cumulative weight lost/(gained) – 26.4kgs

Done it, I’m there . At 84.1kgs I have reached my target of getting under 85.0kgs, never imagined 16 weeks ago that I could reach this weight, my BMI reads 23.8. On 23 February I entered first post on this thread, my target was 95.0kgs by 30 June, can’t believe how relatively easy I reached 10.9kgs below the target. Sincere thanks to IF, LCHF plus all the advice and encouragement I have received from regular contributors on this thread. Now the challenge is to keep the weigh off, a new phase of lifestyle awaits. Some concern over recent blood tests performed by doctor, queries to follow. Linda lost 1.0kgs, and cumulative of 15.9kgs, very proud of her too.

From this on 22/2/21 to

This on 15/6/21

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finn McCool For This Useful Post:

That truly is an epic achievement John. I echo Finn. Congratulations. Your unwavering commitment paid off indeed.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Well done John - and especially well done to Linda too. It is much harder for the ladies as you know, she really did well.

Remember what caused the weight gain to begin with - and stay away from that Best of luck !
    Last edited by EHoffmann; 2021/06/15 at 04:24 AM.
    Flying Spaghetti Monster

ZS1ETphonehome

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

John, you are going to need this information, but I'm writing in general.

Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 14 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast