Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 15 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Default Re: Intermittent Fasting

Let's talk about the magic number... the goal weight.

You have to have a goal. Something to aim at. Otherwise how will you manage the whole thing? So having a number is a good thing.

Until you get there.

You derived your goal weight from educated guess work. A weight you used to weigh at some point in the past, a table that provides guidance etc.

But the reality is that those tables and your past self are only indicators.

So I'm floating the idea that your goal weight may not be your goal weight.

Mine certainly wasn't. It was a big shock to me. It turned out my goal weight was 2kg higher than my target number.

It took so much work to stay at my goal, then I would pick up 2 at the drop of a hat and stay there until I wrestle it down again with much effort.

For a friend the true weight was 3kg lower.

I'm suggesting being open to the truth being slightly different at the goal, than your perception of it.

It took an embarrassingly long time for the penny to drop in my case. That's why I'm writing this. It may not seem as obvious in your experience as it does reading it here.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

John, I'm excited for you because you understand that this is not a quick fix, but a changed way of life.

You are about to discover that losing the weight is the easy part. That stabilizing after is the trickier part of the journey. But your commitment to being healthy will see you through.

A portion of your nutrition was derived from stored body fat for the last 16 weeks. Those fat stores are running out. Lucky fish!

Now you have to change eating again to incorporate all your nutrition coming from outside the body.

Will you get it right from the get go? No, of course not.

You don't know what size the portion was that the body contributed. And that is what you will be learning over the coming period.

There's much fewer information available on this out in internet land because this is far more personal to each person. To where you plan on drawing the line regarding what you are going to eat long term.

One option you can eliminate firmly, is to go back to before. That is a surefire way to pick the weight back up again.

Interestingly the first six months are fine usually. The pain of the effort is fresh enough to act as deterrent. But then the season changes and you crave carbs, you have been stable so what harm... and the death spiral begins.

So how do you discover what your nutritional needs are?
    Although you may end up introducing the occasional potato or a bit of pumpkin for example back into your life, you will still follow the low carb principles.
    A safe starting point is to eat the same, but more of it. If you were doing OMAD, go to 2 meals for example.

I don't know what to advise for how you are going too far except to use myself as an example. If I pick up more than 2kg, it's more than a fluid shift or a full tummy. Then I am picking up weight. At this point I do IF again.

IF is part of your life to stay. The question is how long and how often you need to fast.

The reason why you are fasting will also be changing. Until now you have fasted for weight loss.

Now that the excess weight is gone and you have some understanding of IF and the impact of nutrition on health, your focus will be changing to cell repair so you can relace all the partially functioning cells with healthy cells in the next cell replacement cycle.

These fasts are much longer. Autophagy is still not well understood and information is conflicting. Some claim that it kicks in at 48 hours. I suspect it's more around 52 hours. Or probably over a spectrum for different individuals.

So getting rid of the saggy skin will require a series of longer fasts. But if you do the longer, cell repair fasts you can't continue to lose weight to the point of emaciation. So you won't be able to race through them like with weight loss. You will probably do one or two a month for quite a while.

One thing we do know. It works.
    Last edited by Emmie L; 2021/06/15 at 05:07 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

This is one of the reasons I am choosing to work on the longer fasts currently. I need a more regular series of them to help my body heal. I had a number of cellular processes that were not working that have been repaired over the last 5 years.

I know this will be easier to sustain if I'm still in the portion where I have access to stored body fat during the process. As an added bonus I may lose a bit of weight in the process.

The good news is that you are fully equipped to deal with this exciting new phase. You know how to do LC and you know how to IF. You only have to play around with volumes and ratios to find yours.

The same rules still apply. You eat until satiety and then eat again when you are hungry.

Depending on your energy consumption, that may be a meal a day or three days later. Time will tell.

Happy feasting and happy fasting.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

After reading thru this thread for the past 30 minutes (since exactly 05:00 when my alarm went off), I realised how lucky I am... Clearly, some of you battle more than obesity (insomnia). I never realised how much of an issue obesity is. I always (silently) laughed at overweight people around me. Now I see is not just their abnormal eating habits. I got so scared reading this thread, I jumped on my old scale (1st time this year) It showed 82.3 kg. Last year was 80 or so. I can't remember exactly. I am a 54y old male (1.7m tall). Thank you mother and father for the genes you gave me Never bother to check what and when I eat or drink. Wish you all luck very interesting thread...
    I love Mozambique!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gomario For This Useful Post:

Gomario, the cultural norm is what is common. Not necessarily what is normal. The historic data shows what is normal.

However we have been persuaded that the current common experience is healthy. The number of people having auto immune issues have skyrocketed alarmingly in the last 30 years.

Nobody seems to ask questions like why gluten intolerance has shot up from 2% of the population to the majority in a single generation. It's clearly environmental. Obesity leading to late adult onset disease has become normalized.

If we had any idea what a disastrous impact our bad habits would have later we obviously won't go there.

But those that have experienced the perfect storm of circumstances that tipped them into an auto immune or diabetic life are too busy fighting to recover quality of life. They have been shamed into silence for their poor life management.

LC/IF offers a solution to many that have been desperately seeking answers for years. Its cheap, accessible and will have a positive effect on the most stressed and inflamed body.

Society has become polarized about eating habits because of the conflicting agendas and abounding misinformation from years of chaotic research. The last 10 years is the first time that I can remember where the research start forming a cohesive picture.

That picture looks remarkably like we used to eat before food manufacturers started convincing us otherwise. It makes you think.

Obesity has far reaching implications other than excess weight. The weight is a symptom. Not the problem. It is a problem. That won't resolve until you adress the underlying causes. Isn't it lucky for us that with LC/IF you will accidentally fix a lot of those without knowing about them or what to do about them.

A word of caution though. Being thin is not an automatic assumption of health. Otherwise seemingly healthy guys don't collapse out of nowhere.

You still need to pay attention to nutrition as a thin person. You are less prone, not immune. In fact it may be to your detriment, because there's no monitoring or even an awareness of risk factors. Rather educate yourself timeously.

Optimal living has to be carefully invited from a body. Human bodies are designed to carry on no matter what. It will compensate for a missing limb, kidney, lung etc. But for it to function to it's full potential you need to help it understand its boundaries. That happens with gentle invitation only.

Here is an example. Old people lose a lot of range of motion, except for a minority that are supple and impressive. Why is that? Because the minority use their joints to the full range. They never lose it because they continue use it. The body has a use it or lose it policy. If you only lift your arms to 45 degrees for a sustained period, your brain will say 'you clearly don't use the other 45' therefore you don't need it and it will 'forget' that it exists. Now your range truly is only 45 degrees. For you to get the second half back takes sustained effort and you can't bully the body to give it back either. It only will if it feels safe to do so. And that only happens through gentle invitation. Repeatedly until the body accepts. Then you start functioning in ways you thought permanently lost or even better than you were 20. It's a remarkable thing.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Goal weight a year ago - 75kg
    Current goal weight - 68kg - 65kg as long as the belly goes...

Hovering around 71.3kg for a while even with 4 runs and 4 gym sessions a week. IF 5 days and even gone to Diet protein shakes as brekkies and supper.

Noel, what is happening on the inside is way more important than what you are observing on the outside when you are in the goal range. I know you hate waiting. But your body is busy on the inside. Give it the opportunity to do what it needs to do. It will move when it's ready. Not when you think it should be ready.

Your body has been given an incredible intelligence. Just support it by doing the right things. Healthy plato's can last up to 2 years.

That time is passing anyway. Rather let it pass while you are healing at a cellular level than making it conform to what your incomplete understanding is of what should happen.

Yes, the frustration is real, but perhaps it's time to redefine the thinking as well.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Nobody has to fear becoming too thin by doing LC. Bodies don't like being in starvation mode (which is different from being in a fasted state). You will lose the excess and then your body will equalize. It will ask for food when it needs it. As long as you don't impose ideas on it it will know how to manage. But it most likely will look different than your expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn McCool View Post
    Epic achievement John....I've had a few distractions off late which has caused me to loose focus and stagnate on 87/88 kg ...my VERY happy place is also in the kitchen which doesn't help matters much.
    Thanks Seamus, sounds like our weights have been closely aligned over the last few weeks. Fortunately for me I don't know my way around the kitchen very well. We have also been very disciplined about what we have in the pantry, if it isn't there you can't eat it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    That truly is an epic achievement John. I echo Finn. Congratulations. Your unwavering commitment paid off indeed.
    Thanks Emmie especially for sharing your knowledge with us all, always food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post
    Well done John - and especially well done to Linda too. It is much harder for the ladies as you know, she really did well. Remember what caused the weight gain to begin with - and stay away from that Best of luck !
    Thanks Elsa, yes I know only to well how lucky I am to have shared this journey with Linda, having your significant other doing the hard yards together with you really does make it so much easier. I agree that it is much easier for men than the fairer sex, Linda still has a few kilos to shed and I will therefore remain pretty much on the current pathway but adding a few carbs so that I can stabilize but be able to support Linda in the weeks ahead. Yes, agreed we certainly don't want to slip into our old ways.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D and 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    Badger 4i BL2 "Ratel"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Emmie, have you considered a protein sparing modified fast (under medical supervision) to shake things up and give the stubborn weight a bit of a shock? I read it's used in clinical settings for a quick shift. The average weight regain following the regime seems to be 40%, so not bad...

I came across it yesterday. I'm investigating.

I'm hesitant about such drastic solutions as my body is already stressed. It's good to keep it guessing so it doesn't become used to a particular pattern, but I have never been in favor of putting a system that is under pressure under more pressure. It can boomerang badly.
    Last edited by Emmie L; 2021/06/16 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    I came across it yesterday. I'm investigating.

I'm hesitant about such drastic solutions as my body is already stressed. It's good to keep it guessing so it doesn't become used to a particular pattern, but I have never been in favor of putting a system that is under pressure under more pressure. It can boomerang badly.
    Fair point, if you are stressed/inflamed it's better to maybe calm things down first.

Hold thumbs guys: I am going to attempt a 48 hour fast. I am now 10 hours in. Longest I've gone before is 36 hours (once), but lately have struggled to last 22 hours. Usually easily manage 18 but unfortunately don't lose weight on 18:6 because of my personal relationship with food....once I break a fast, I don't stop eating, so a smaller eating window followed by sleep and waking semi-fasted shows results.

Telling you all as an accountability tactic
    2011 Honda CRV 2.4
    2012 Fiat Panda 1200

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nitebob For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nitebob View Post
    Hold thumbs guys: I am going to attempt a 48 hour fast. I am now 10 hours in. Longest I've gone before is 36 hours (once), but lately have struggled to last 22 hours. Usually easily manage 18 but unfortunately don't lose weight on 18:6 because of my personal relationship with food....once I break a fast, I don't stop eating, so a smaller eating window followed by sleep and waking semi-fasted shows results.

Good luck!

Keep well hydrated with salty water, it helps.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Going to give that a go next week...

Electrolytes are very important for this Nitebob.

Just remember the hunger comes in waves, just try and ride out the single wave you are in.

And try eating a pinch of salt if the hunger persists.

Your body is going to feel so much better after. It is worth it.

I know you can do it.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

I hope you make it, the best thing is to plan enough interesting activities to keep you busy. When i build radio control planes I often work 20 hrs straight even till 4 in the morning without noticing the time flying past.

Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 15 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast