Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast

Default Re: Intermittent Fasting

Quote Originally Posted by Nitebob View Post
    You seem quite knowledgeable on the topic Emmie. What does sparkling water do to the biome? We all know sparkling water taste different even when the fizzle has gone. Does the carbonation have an effect on gut biome?
    I don't have a definitive answer on sparkling water yet. My unsubstantiated suspicion has more to do with pH than anything. I have read some stuff about teenage girls using a lot of sparkling water having issues with the enamel on their teeth and there are some rumors floating around the beauty world about the fact that it is bad for you, but nothing concrete that I could find. I have a feeling that the carbonation creates a more acidic environment (that's how it feels like to me when I drink it).

I don't like anything that makes the body more acidic, because cancers and other horrible things like acidic environments. The only way our bodies have to release carbon dioxide effectively is through diaphramatic breathing. Only when you complete an exhale to the extent that your tummy muscles kick in and you have to gasp for breath have you completed an exhale. None of us do this daily and only a few of us do this occassionaly. The tiny amount that the kidneys can release is neglible.

So all the pseudo science regarding alkaline diets have no base that I could establish. Breathing is the only thing that can make the body more alkaline, other than prayer. I never could understand the theory around eating foods to make you more alkaline. It's a self sustaining environment. So if you eat something that shifts pH, it's just going to shift back. It never made sense to me.

So until I can discover the actual truth, I only use it as an occassional treat. I will only drink it more regularly once I am convinced it's safe, until then I will reserve judgement. Maybe someone else has found some good information on sparkling water?

Wow guys I'm so glad i started this thread.
    I have learned a lot and it seems like some other also benefitted from it.

I have been off fasting for a while and stopped exercising because of lockdown and just work and I got into grove.

So 2 weeks ago I joined the gym again. Mostly weight training and very little cardio.

1 week onto IF and exactly 4kg down.

The weight training I do...
    3 exercises per muscle group
    3 sets
    20 repetitions but extremely slow
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    Hermie,

Because they are a match made in heaven.

Intermittent fasting is a separate concept from a low carb high fat medium protein or a low carb high protein medium fat diet.

Fasting has benefits that allow for cell repair, remodeling, normalizing of hormones etc. The benefits are multiple and amazing. The reason you fast will determine your fasting habits.

If you follow a low carb lifestyle, excess weight will melt of you. That's a fact. The rate at which it will melt away will be a steady, small increment. You will have long plato's in which the body makes the necessary adjustments and so forth.

However, if you are prediabetic, have severe inflammation, have hormonal issues etc, you won't lose weight. Or if you do it will be a hard won fight for every gram the body gives up.

This is where LC and IF meet in the perfect storm. The positive benefits of both systems overlap to enhance all that is good. Because low carb will help an inflamed system not to be further aggravated. And the cell repair etc. that IF does will help the cell recover.

If you have a carb addiction and the body lives of glucose energy (which is how you end up diabetic), the liver keeps on making more fat and more fat which is stored instead of used for daily consumption. When you eat low carb, you restrict carbs to anywhere from 20-100g (most often 30-50g per day). The liver then only produces glucose during the feasting window and not during the fasting window. Because the body is now fat adapted and uses fat energy instead of glucose energy, the stored energy can be accessed and put into use. It is no longer in the deep freeze and out of reach when you reach into the fridge for energy so to speak.

Because stored energy is accessible, the body uses it for consumption during the day. So only can the body rest and repair during the fasting period. You are well nourished and have energy from stored stores. Which as a bonus means you are shedding your excess weight. Those with hormonal imbalances start normalizing, inflammation lessens and eventually dies away and even the die hard can't lose peeps on low carb only suddenly start losing on IF combined with LC.

Hope this answers your question.
    Emmie
    Thank you for the coaching you provide to us all. Im not against the low carb, but not sure about no carb.
    You have seen my IAT posts and although I can live without carb rich food,but I do love the odd potato salad and braaibroodjie. (Not at the same meal)
    In the past I did cut bread and potatoes out of my meal plan, but if I have a slice of bread after one of those periods it upsets my system which confirms what you stated.

I will have a look into the low carb options as I am basically there already, just need multiple meal options to prevent boredom and to join IAT with new perspective and a ton of recipes.

What I have found through this recent journey is that if I dont drink enough water and dont walk, my progress reflects it.
    Hermie

Turning Vegan would be a big missed steak!!

Jurgens XT 140

Quote Originally Posted by JeepNewbe View Post
    Emmie
    Thank you for the coaching you provide to us all. Im not against the low carb, but not sure about no carb.
    You have seen my IAT posts and although I can live without carb rich food,but I do love the odd potato salad and braaibroodjie. (Not at the same meal)
    In the past I did cut bread and potatoes out of my meal plan, but if I have a slice of bread after one of those periods it upsets my system which confirms what you stated.

I will have a look into the low carb options as I am basically there already, just need multiple meal options to prevent boredom and to join IAT with new perspective and a ton of recipes.

What I have found through this recent journey is that if I dont drink enough water and dont walk, my progress reflects it.
    Hermie,

When you start restricting carbs, the body doesn't need to hold on to water in the same way. So you will suddenly find yourself dehydrated much more easily. Unfortunately I don't see people talking about the importance of electrolytes.

It's important not only to drink enough water and to drink often enough, but to also make sure you drink enough electrolytes. You can even take a pinch of salt during your fasting period. Often the 'hunger' you feel is actually a mineral deficiency.

I make a point to drink at least one liter of electrolytes a day. I don't like the taste of it, so I add lemon, cucumber etc. to the water as well to hide the taste. I use a product called e-lytes. They are drops and you only need about 5 drops per liter of water, so it's not in your face like some of the other flavoured ones.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Low carb is a blanket term that covers many opposing ideaologies.

Some people restrict every carb to the point that most veg are vilified and you are scared to ever put anything other than a salad leaf in your mounth.
    Others think that if you don't eat McDonalds for 2 out of 3 meals you are restricting carbs.

I personally have chosen to follow a strategy of increasing extremism across this scale taking it to the least extreme place I need to go to achieve my aim.

I personally am against vilifying food and creating food fear. Inevitably as more truth is added to the body of evidence the fears are proven unfounded. The poor egg and the humble potato I think have suffered most in this area. And let's not forget red meat. Soy is glorified in spite of the many documented studies that show the developmental problems they cause in children. Food should never have an over emphasis.

You need to realize that by the time you reach your mid forties and hormonal changes are staring you in the face (which is when most people reach the point when they make work of this) you have spent more than 20 years creating the problem.

Weight is only one of it. It's the most obvious and for most people uncomfortable symptom, but there are usually a plethora of others. The margin to auto immune disease is much thinner at this point with a number of people approaching the point where they are approaching the tipping point, sadly happily oblivious to it.

They will experience gout, arthritis, sinus, food sensitivities etc. These are the body's warning signs. There are more subtle ones, but our cultural training has nicely taught us to disregard it. As westerners we have gone to great lengths to ignore the messages from ... shall we call it the subtle body.

We ignore thirst, pain signals, hunger (you only eat when I let you, body), so subtle signs like skin tags and other small shouts of help from the body are disregarded. We excercise to the point of damaging our joints because 'no pain, no gain'. Change happens in a place of discomfort, but there is a world of difference between discomfort and pain. But because we ignore both, we have lost the ability to discern between the two. We are obsessed with 3 reps of 20, rather than stopping when the body warns in the second rep at number 13.

The sad part is that by the time it turns into a pathology where a doctor will start to treat, for example your adrenals, will be 80% destroyed. So instead of taking adrenal support for 3 or 6 months and correcting it, you end up with an auto immune disease that can't be undone.

The wonderful thing about low carb/ IF is that people start to lose weight and because they are accidentally doing the right things, blood sugar normalizes, hormones stabilize, long term inflammation clears up and risk factors move away from the very close edge they were next too.

After a few gout/ sinus etc flare ups in the first few months people's symptoms lessen significantly. Those with existing auto immune disorders see a lessening in symptoms etc.

So this is in an extreme carb restricted environment. Now let's take it to the more moderate end of the scale.

I don't ever want to be a food nazi. Don't eat fruit. Don't eat nuts. Don't eat this. Don't eat that. You just wonder what joy is left in life after talking to these extremists. Their skin stretches over their bony bodies and they don't look healthy. They are not glowing with health so that their bodies invite you to follow that path. No thank you. I don't want to go there. For some, even the thought of eating low carb takes them to a similar place.

Ironically, being thin is not a sign of good health. Just because you lessened one symptom called excess weight doesn't mean you are automatically healthy.

So when you choose where on the spectrum you are going to apply low carb eating as a lifestyle you need to ask yourself some serious questions.

Why am I doing this? Is my first aim health? Is my first aim to feel less 'bad' about myself because I still remember what my 20 year old self felt like? Where is my life at? Am I under a lot of stress or pressure currently? Do I really want to do this, am I ready for permanent change or do I just feel like I should change? Do I have the emotional resources to fight this battle currently?

These questions are going to determine where you are going to fall on the scale. If you are dangerously close to diabetes, or an auto immune disease you are going to be very committed to the process. You will willingly give up carbs in a second if it means averting disaster. For life. You dread it, but of course you will do it.

If you are just tired of being judged by the community around you for being plump, or mortally obese or wherever your weight falls, you are going to be less committed to going to the extreme end of the scale. If you are just starting to play with the idea of a lifestyle change, this is going to sound more like inconvenience and pain than something worthy of doing.

In my case, I have been on this road for almost 30 years. I have fasted and done low carb way before it became fashionable. Before the information was available. Before Paleo, Carnivore, Ketovore, before Noakes had a change of heart. I have been eating low carb for a long time. I have explored the many permutations of it over time.

But I did not start where I am now. I started at a way less expreme point. Now, I am fully convinced of the value of elimination 'diets'. Restricting a certain food or a group of foods for a period to let the body rest from something that is aggravating it is a wise thing to do. It doesn't imply cutting it out for life. It may however mean that you will only be allowed to enjoy it once a month instead the twice a week you used to. This is something different from following a certain way of eating as a lifestyle. A lifelong habit you are setting up for future success. This for me is where LC/IF falls. It is not an elimination diet. It is a lifestyle. There may be certain things I choose to eliminate for a year, two years, even three years, even up to five years. These I will occasionally add back once I have stabilized. But that does not include unlimited amounts of starch.

I will give you the various shades on the scale so you can see what a huge range low carb actually covers.

At the least extreme end of the scale.

You give up 2 blocks from your daily slab of large chocolate. - This is huge. You are taking the first tiny step to acknowledge that things need to change. You are very far away from giving up sugar. But you are taking the first step. This is wonderful! This will move from buying a big slab to a small slab. From a small slab to a bar. From a bar to a mini bar. From a mini bar to a Cote d'or mini bar. Then having the mini bar with your meal. Until one day you are ok letting it go.
    You give up one beer, one sandwich from your daily sandwich lunch a week. - This is huge. You are taking the first step towards thinking about what you are eating and why. You remove another, and then another moving gradually away from sandwiches for lunch.
    You eat one starch free meal a week. - You hate it. This is great. You are getting used to the idea that a starch free meal is possible. Well done. Stick with it. Let the discomfort of it ease with the familiarity of repetition.
    You restrict starch on alternate days. - This is great. You are testing the waters, easing into it slowly. That's a great strategy. This is the point where it starts to impact your life. Your shopping changes, you have to look for new meals to cook on those days. This is a fabulous sign.

At this point you start eating low carb in some fashion.
    You restrict starch from Monday to Thursday, but over the weekends you braai and want a braai broodjie and potato salad. - This is wonderful. There's actually 3 days in your week during which you can get a foretaste of ketosis. A word of caution here. You can go here initially, but over time you will become very frustrated here and it will actually let you fall back into old habits. You can move towards the next stage by changing the bread out from Sasko type to proper sourdough. You can lessen your potato salad portion to eventually the size of 3 baby potatoes. A taste, more than a portion. To not seeing it as the meal, but as a garnish or condiment. Present on the plate, but not the source of nutrition.
    You restrict all starch to a maximum of a third of a cup of brown rice, 3 baby potatoes, or half a cup of brown pasta. - At this point you will start to see a steady loss of weight. Assuming of course, that you have given up sugar at this point. However, if you have chronic inflammation or hormonal issues you will not see much weight loss.
    You restrict all starch as above, but sometimes can't be bothered to cook rice so have the meal without it. You discover as long as there was sufficient fat it the meal you still feel satsified and full.
    Note at this point we have not restricted portion sizes in any way other than that of starch.
    You start to cut starch every second day. And actually feel a bit less bloated and more energetic on those days.
    You cut starch during the week, but still reserve a bite of it for a weekend pleasure.
    You notice that fruit actually gives you a bit of a sugar spike, so you cut it out and the low grade sugar cravings you had goes away.
    You notice that root vegetables like potato, sweet potato, some pumpkin actually gives you a bit of a insulin response. You cut it out and miss it for a while but then eat it again and don't feel so good. So away it goes.
    You notice that when you have cheese or other dairy you have an inflammatory response so you cut it.
    You notice that when you eat veg too many days in a row you become bloated and develop a little pouch by your tummy, so start restricting how many times a week you have veg.
    You only consume meat, fish, organ meat and feel great great great. Your memory has never been so clear, you have sustained energy etc.
    You eat until you are satisfied. You only eat when you are hungry again. You notice that the period between meals have moved from three to two times per day. Then to once per day. Then to once every two or three days.
    You worry that this is not normal, yet you are healthier than you have been in a long time and your hair and skin glows. You are more muscular and don't have any of the simptoms you used to have.

This is the full spectrum of what is meant by low carb. I have been moving across various parts of the spectrum for a long time. You can see it's possible to be low carb from the point where the majority of your meals restrict starch. Perhaps you are not ready currently for a starch free way of life. But even restricting starch will put you in a better place than where you have been for the last 20 years. And when you have shifted once, you can shift again. Just because you are not ready this month, doesn't mean by September you won't be ready, or by next Feb, or next year this time.

You have to understand that every system has its limitations. As long as you eat enough starch that the liver lives of glucose energy rather than fat energy you will not stay in ketosis long enough to gain the benefits. That doesn't mean that restricting starch has no value.

Just because you see posts by people who are eating once a day or fast for 72 hours at a time who have been doing this for a while (or previously) doesn't mean you have to start there. This is a marathon, not a sprint. The aim is healthy living. There is no red lollipop to be won in doing it in three months instead of three years. It's completely ok to start by delaying breakfast once a week. When you can stick with that, you add a second day. This is way more sustainable than being so miserable on a restricted calorie diet where your body is in starvation mode and not in a fasted state.

The aim is a sustained change in life that is permanent. Not a 'diet' where you lose the weight, go back to old habits and undo it all. Low carb is a lifestyle, not a diet.

It's not about losing the weight. That's the easy part. It's about putting new habits in place that are sustainable so that when the elimination part is complete and your energy no longer comes from excess body fat but comes from nutrition you don't go back to previous habits that got you in a bad spot in the first place.

The posts and discussions on this thread are often technical and assume that you have journeyed on this road a bit. Don't let that make you feel disqualified from where you are in the beginning of the journey. We have all been there.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Morning All

Here are the stats as on 23 April 2021

I've been on IF now for 21 Days.
    Total Loss/Gain - -23.4kg
    Total Loss/Gain on IF - -8.3kg
    Week Loss/Gain - -2.1kg
    Total Distance walked - 55.43km

The coming week will be a tough one as I have to work harder to get rid of the 4 whiskeys I had last night celebrating my daughters birthday. It was worth it and I'll do it again.
    Hermie

Turning Vegan would be a big missed steak!!

Jurgens XT 140

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JeepNewbe For This Useful Post:

Needed to up the anti a bit...been on OMAD for the past 5 day's...along with some extra walking...been struggling to shake off last 4/5 kgs. Stuck on 89+_ now for a week or so.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finn McCool For This Useful Post:

Week 9 results:
    Weeks weight lost/(gained) 1.5kgs
    Cumulative weight lost/(gained) 16.3kgs
    Distance walked this week 7.2kms
    Distance cycled this week 128kms

Fourth week of IF using LCHF. A better week for my weight loss. Have changed exercise regime from walking to cycling, knee swelling has reduced significantly. For those in the know I have an embarrassing question, is constipation a common problem with LCHF or IF diets, Ive never had a problem before? Linda continues to do well, she lost 1.0kg.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Physilium husk should help with the flow ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    Week 9 results:
    Weeks weight lost/(gained) 1.5kgs
    Cumulative weight lost/(gained) 16.3kgs
    Distance walked this week 7.2kms
    Distance cycled this week 128kms

Fourth week of IF using LCHF. A better week for my weight loss. Have changed exercise regime from walking to cycling, knee swelling has reduced significantly. For those in the know I have an embarrassing question, is constipation a common problem with LCHF or IF diets, Ive never had a problem before? Linda continues to do well, she lost 1.0kg.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Finn McCool For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Finn McCool View Post
    Physilium husk should help with the flow ...
    Thanks Finn, Linda keeps telling me to take Psyllium husk, I tell her it contains too many carbs , yeah I know it doesn't, based on your agreement on the topic I have just taken my first dose, lets hope the flow begins........
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2021/04/26 at 05:18 AM.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Thanks Finn, Linda keeps telling me to take Psyllium husk, I tell her it contains too many carbs , yeah I know it doesn't, based on your agreement on the topic I have just taken my first dose, lets hope the flow begins........
    It works very well mixed with some yogurt.

Good food for the gut bacteria!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Great stuff...no need to send pics:-)))

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finn McCool For This Useful Post:

Lovely to see the numbers coming down guys. Keep on keeping on.

I'm also celebrating a 5kg milestone today. I'm so chuffed.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Finn McCool View Post
    Great stuff...no need to send pics:-)))
    I was soooo tempted to send a photograph of an empty toilet bowl and say the Psyllium hadn't worked, but I thought some refined folk on the forum may take exception
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    I'm also celebrating a 5kg milestone today. I'm so chuffed.
    Well done Emmie, happy for you, we know how good it feels, both of us have recently broken a 5kg barrier. We celebrated with a bottle of wine on the beachfront earlier this afternoon!! 7g carbs each, we cut down on other carbs for the rest of the day.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Week 10 results:
    Weeks weight lost/(gained) 1.0kgs
    Cumulative weight lost/(gained) 17.3kgs
    Distance cycled this week 97kms

Fifth week of IF using LCHF. A gap week, we stayed with mates for a few days to celebrate his 60th birthday, attended a major party. Therefore, happy with my weight loss. Linda lost 0.3kg. Despite lower weight loses it showed we could attend a party and still not gain weight or lose momentum.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

I'm a bit late to come and chat here but Mandy and I are on this same journey. Although mine is quite slow it is steady and I am ready to be the least I have been in years.
    Zerubbabel 2 the 2008 4.8 turbo Patrol with some kit
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabels way! (Zech 4:7)

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

I gained 800 grams this week as I expected to.

I'm on medication to be taken with meals which means back to 3 meals a day with the additional nutrition and insulin response that goes with that.

I'm delighted with my small gain as it is a sign of healing. Previously in the same circumstances I would gain 2kg or more.

It always takes me a week or two to figure out the redistribution of food across meals to make it work.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

@ Emmie, hope you feel better.

My journey continues and I have made some changes with my training and running. Going on IF 5 days, with Sunday being a normal. Weighing in at 71.0kg this morning and I have my check up tomorrow.
    Despite the stresses of a statutory shutdown, new staff interviews and life itself, I feel confident a drop in cm's.

Good luck guys and keep it going.

What was your weight before?...
    Quote Originally Posted by NoelN View Post
    @ Emmie, hope you feel better.

My journey continues and I have made some changes with my training and running. Going on IF 5 days, with Sunday being a normal. Weighing in at 71.0kg this morning and I have my check up tomorrow.
    Despite the stresses of a statutory shutdown, new staff interviews and life itself, I feel confident a drop in cm's.

Good luck guys and keep it going.

Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast