TD5 ECU - dry joint suspected - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: TD5 ECU - dry joint suspected

Quote Originally Posted by Danie Gouws View Post
    Hi Tak23bos4 Dankie vir jou interessante respons! Net om my integriteit bietjie te verdedig (en my eie gewete) - ek het darem vir die koper aan wie ek haar verkoop het mooi vertel van die probleem. En om my (en haar) eer bietjie te herstel - ek is regdeur Botswana CKGR en die Kaudom en 3 keer deur die Kaokoveld sonder enige probleme! Net 'n plesier! Niks is beter as die klank van 'n gesonde Td5 enjin nie. En niks beat die loutere plesier van sit op die dakrak van 'n Landy terwyl jy die sonsondergang aanskou met 'n glasie single malt nie!! But I digress! Ek het baie kopgekrap oor die oorsaak van die probleem. Dit het my voorgekom asof dit meestal in die winter gebeur - nadat sy nat geword het. Ek het dus vermoed dat dit iets te doen gehad het met water wat iewers in die electrics gekom het. Maar - die feit dat die limp mode dan tog deur 'n stamp (selfs 'n geringe stamp) veroorsaak word, het my laat besef dat 'n "los" elektriese komponent/konneksie IEWERS in die ekosisteem verantwoordelik is. Dit kan natuurlik binne die ECU (of ander circuit board?) wees. Ek het egter ook 'n moontlike los earth iewers vermoed, of 'n elektriese "loom" i.e. bundle van kabels wat iewers, waar dit deur 'n bulkhead gaan, dalk skaaf. Ek dink my volgende stap sou die vervanging van die bedrading tussen my TRC (throttle response control) en die ECU gewees het. But - that might still have been clutching at straws.... Ek moet se, myne het nooit geweier of gesukkel om op te start nie! Sterkte! En - NEVER GIVE UP!!
    Netjies Danie! Ek moet bieg, die dakrak is regtig uniek. Die eerste ding wat die kleinspan gedoen het toe die Landy opdaag by die huis was om die dakrak as hulle eie te annekseer En ek kan glo oor die uitsig!
    Ek hou styf duime vas dat ons die spook kan opspoor - ek het ook die koue ervaring, nou min, maar na 'n koeler nag kan ek op my kop staan totdat die Engelsman soos Casper hom noem ontdooi het
    Ek sal julle op hoogte hou, groete

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    Just my 5c. When looking at circuit boards I find using my phones magnify function works better than a magnifying glass. Can see much clearer and the light/flash also helps to illuminate the circuit properly. iPhone X in my case.
    I agree! Especially when trying to decipher a chip's part nr.
    I got these spectacles and find they work very well too except that the focal distance to the part is very short :-D

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    The remote codes are stored in the BCU, not the ECU. It is really a 5 min job to program the BCU to match the ECU and vice versa when returning borrowed ECU, IRC its the "Learn Security code function"..For your purposes thats all that has to change, you can leave the injector codes as is , it wont have much effect and will confirm your ECU issue.

I have a nanocom, if you get somebody with a ECU to switch out for a few days you may borrow my nanocom.
    Has the Defender also got a BCU?
    2006 VW Touareg 4.2 V8 Auto
    2000 Disco 2 GS 4.6 V8 Auto

2013 Wildebeest Kalfie Boswa
    2002 Audi S6 4.2 V8 quattro

2013 Freelander SD4 (SWAMBO)
    ORRA Z07

Quote Originally Posted by TwinDisco View Post
    Has the Defender also got a BCU?
    No, good point it does not!

To the OP, my mistake, the Defender does not have a BCU, the security setup is different, but the nanocom still does it...

Speak with Landylover on the forum, he may be able to help you.
    Last edited by NewLandy; 2020/01/15 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    No, good point it does not!

To the OP, my mistake, the Defender does not have a BCU, the security setup is different, but the nanocom still does it...

Speak with Landylover on the forum, he may be able to help you.
    Thanks very much NewLandy, will give a shout when other avenues exhausted. Much appreciated.

Enige nuus of vordering Tak23bos4?

Wink Re: TD5 ECU - dry joint suspected

Enige nuus of vordering Tak23bos4?
    Hi Danie, made a little progress but the "cold ECU not starting" remains.
    The losing throttle control when hot seems to be resolved, I've not had a recurrence of that in the last week and a bit.
    I was able to heat the ECU to 45 deg C and then if I tapped on it while idling the fault could be reproduced. So resoldering all the header pins and through hole components on the ECU PCB has done nothing. It was a long and tedious job but alas - not the culprit.
    So... touching the loom on the black connector kept inducing the issue...
    Checking into the female receptacles I noticed that some of the holes were very open while others weren't... kind of like the spring part was pushed open further than normal.
    Interestingly one of these "loose" connectors was the TPS ground - logical eh! - Throttle Position Ground wire not making nice contact. So after googling how to get the pin out I bent the springy part back to more springy by using a flat jewelers screwdriver and voila! Hi temperature throttle cut out is solved (for now (this phrase is tought to one as compulsary when owning an older Landy))
    So I can heat the ECU to 55 deg C and tap it, pull on the wiring etc with no ill effects.

Name:  20200119_172442.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  259.1 KB

I was so happy that I inspected and reworked all the pin receptacles on both the red and black connectors hoping that the cold ECU no start issue would be solved but alas, that was a hope too far
    I keep thinking about the comment about the clock crystal for the processor... But once I get a bit more time to fiddle I'll dig into it again, for now I thankfully not stranded anymore.

Thanks all

Very glad to hear that part of the problem has been solved! Well done!Must be a nice feeling.Sounds to me like it's just a matter of time before you find the remaining culprit.Good luck!Danie

Very glad to hear that part of the problem has been solved! Well done!Must be a nice feeling.Sounds to me like it's just a matter of time before you find the remaining culprit.Good luck!Danie
    Ai Danie, thanks for the kind words but to be honest I'm a little deflated at this stage... The switch on the stalk for the headlights decided to let go and while learning about the electrics on this interestingly evolved machine I discovered that the wiper motor fuse is also blowing as if a short circuit developed. So initial research suggests the wiper motor so the dash will have to be stripped. I think the Landy and I need a little time apart to recharge my batteries and give my soft hands a little time to heal.
    It's like a rigged computer game. Just when you think you make progress another 3 challenges arise. And keeping notes won't help to stay motivated - because one might realize how much has gone in for what comes out
    Anyway... a few days and I'll feel better

Voorspoed vir die week

You may also fasten each of the ECU plugs with Land Rover Special Part No.1, ie cable ties, to prevent any minor movement causing open circuits. I am not sure if "cold ECU not starting" refers to a fault code from a Nanocom or similar. Please post the actual codes if available.
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by tak23bos4 View Post
    Ai Danie, thanks for the kind words but to be honest I'm a little deflated at this stage... The switch on the stalk for the headlights decided to let go
    When I bought my Td5 Disco it failed on the dim/bright selection, and the local auto lecky I took it to said those switches/stalks were prone to problems with the contacts. He opened it up and bent/re-straightened things and told me it was probably going to cause strife at some point in the future, but, a few years later on, it is still all good.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew D View Post
    I had this same problem on my TD5. Big yellow relay under the driver seat would move slightly and that would stop fuel pump
    ... yes ... this sounds most likely problem though twisting the male blades, of known problem relay set, must just be slight and not excessive as problem actually reflects issue with female unit !

When vehicle wont start press each
    relay while turning key to try locate
    problem set
    and or
    when engine idling touch each relay set ....

,.. usually one of back 3 or 4 sets.

I would venture that this relay issue
    (typically of bosch relays !) is single most common non-starting problem with TD5 s ??
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2020/02/04 at 07:27 AM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. : Own the road...Any road
    1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8... The Greatest Rover.
    1975 Series3 88 PUP... Simply Classic...
    2017 Metalian Mini ... A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

Quote Originally Posted by tak23bos4 View Post
    Ai Danie, thanks for the kind words but to be honest I'm a little deflated at this stage... The switch on the stalk for the headlights decided to let go and while learning about the electrics on this interestingly evolved machine I discovered that the wiper motor fuse is also blowing as if a short circuit developed. So initial research suggests the wiper motor so the dash will have to be stripped. I think the Landy and I need a little time apart to recharge my batteries and give my soft hands a little time to heal. It's like a rigged computer game. Just when you think you make progress another 3 challenges arise. And keeping notes won't help to stay motivated - because one might realize how much has gone in for what comes out Anyway... a few days and I'll feel betterVoorspoed vir die week
    I feel your pain Tak23bos4! I ended up selling my Disco 2 Td5 after experiencing a continuous string of problems. If it wasn't the automatic gearbox going into limp mode, it would be the fuel pressure regulator leaking, or the steering rack breaking, or the "unsolvable vibration" at 100 km/h, or the oil leaks appearing in key places. I even suspected foul play at some point....In the end I concluded that mine was just a "really bad dud". Built on a Monday.I do miss it however. Best drive ever!But that was the Discovery 2. My Defender Td5 was much, much better. And you must not give up! Somewhere there is something that is loose or broken. It must just be found! The Td5 is actually a fantastic engine. I often wish my 110 Puma had the Td5 engine!Don't give up!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2