Where to get a higher lift bottle jack?

Default Where to get a higher lift bottle jack?

I have a Honda CRV suv and the max lift my 2Ton bottle jack will do is around 320mm with the screw-out part fully extended and to complicate matters with the jack fully down but with the screw extended it often doesn't get under the jack point which makes it even more useless. A 4Ton jack will do 380mm, I'm assuming with the screw part extended so I'm not sure if that will even work. A 2Ton trolley jack works fine but I don't have space for one.

Where can you get a bottle jack that starts low but goes high and isn't overly expensive, around R400-R500?

Default Re: Where to get a higher lift bottle jack?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    I have a Honda CRV suv and the max lift my 2Ton bottle jack will do is around 320mm with the screw-out part fully extended and to complicate matters with the jack fully down but with the screw extended it often doesn't get under the jack point which makes it even more useless. A 4Ton jack will do 380mm, I'm assuming with the screw part extended so I'm not sure if that will even work. A 2Ton trolley jack works fine but I don't have space for one.

Where can you get a bottle jack that starts low but goes high and isn't overly expensive, around R400-R500?
    Get a Land Rover discovery jack

Also a Toyota Hilux mechanical spiral jack works great....just don't buy the red spiral jacks from Midas....their construction is crap and they break...
    Last edited by John.oosthuizen95; 2020/01/12 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John.oosthuizen95 View Post
    Get a Land Rover discovery jack
    An original one, probably be rather pricey though?
    Quote Originally Posted by John.oosthuizen95 View Post
    Also a Toyota Hilux mechanical spiral jack works great....just don't buy the red spiral jacks from Midas....their construction is crap and they break...
    Thanks John that may be a winner, only problem with these spiral jack is you need to spend all day turning the handle, what is the ratio like on those jacks are they pretty quick to lift up and then down again?

If you need to do a lot of jacking up it can become a real pain in the behind winding a mechanical jack up and down which is why I don't want to use the Honda scissor jack the vehicle comes with when doing work on the vehicle.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2020/01/12 at 02:20 PM.

One does have to wind the crank a bit, but those Toyota LC jacks work well. Mine is now almost 37 years old and still works. I hope you don't plan on working underneath a vehicle that is balancing on a jack? Do yourself the favor and get one or two proper stands. That way you can also use your bottle jack with a 2 step lift, making use of the stands in between.
    But working underneath a vehicle held by a jack, be it a mechanical one or a hydraulic jack isn't a good idea. In any case, the surface area of most jacks is rather small, specially that of those scissor jacks. Easy to tilt over while under load. Hydraulic jacks can also fail suddenly or have slow internal leakage and loose height.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Have you considered keeping a few big wood blocks in the vehicle to pack under jack. I'm considering making a car stand that a bottle jack fits into. ie inside frame. The piece or pipe that goes up and down which pushes against chassis will be long. So height of jack plus pipe will give ample height. When jacked to required height, one inserts a pin into stand to keep it there. Jack can be removed to jack up other stand or just left in frame. Brilliant idea I must say
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    One does have to wind the crank a bit, but those Toyota LC jacks work well. Mine is now almost 37 years old and still works. I hope you don't plan on working underneath a vehicle that is balancing on a jack? Do yourself the favor and get one or two proper stands. That way you can also use your bottle jack with a 2 step lift, making use of the stands in between.
    But working underneath a vehicle held by a jack, be it a mechanical one or a hydraulic jack isn't a good idea. In any case, the surface area of most jacks is rather small, specially that of those scissor jacks. Easy to tilt over while under load. Hydraulic jacks can also fail suddenly or have slow internal leakage and loose height.
    Thanks for worrying about my safety Hugo, I have jack stands but I injured my back the other day playing rugby and now I can't lift the vehicle high enough with my bare hands to get the stands under anymore, hence the need for a jack

I'm hoping I can make an adaptor for my cordless drill to do most of the donkey work winding the mechanical jack up and down, has anyone tried that?

And I'd still like to consider a hydraulic high lift jack if anyone knows of something that's available.

Something similar but a much smaller stand.
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Have you considered keeping a few big wood blocks in the vehicle to pack under jack. I'm considering making a car stand that a bottle jack fits into. ie inside frame. The piece or pipe that goes up and down which pushes against chassis will be long. So height of jack plus pipe will give ample height. When jacked to required height, one inserts a pin into stand to keep it there. Jack can be removed to jack up other stand or just left in frame. Brilliant idea I must say
    That's actually a good idea and wood blocks is something I haven't tried, I actually have some nice hardwood wooden blocks to use for the job.
    But then again it does add more schlep and risk of the jack slipping off the blocks whilst jacking it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    That's actually a good idea and wood blocks is something I haven't tried, I actually have some nice hardwood wooden blocks to use for the job.
    But then again it does add more schlep and risk of the jack slipping off the blocks whilst jacking it up.
    Not if you do it right. I pack blocks under my jack base. Two together and one opposite to the two but on top ie bonding the two together.
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Not if you do it right. I pack blocks under my jack base. Two together and one opposite to the two but on top ie bonding the two together.
    The problem with that complication is often you try jack in one place, then realise the jack stand or similar can't get in to position, jack down move jack again, still not good, jack again and so on. By the end of a hard day wrenching and fighting with stuck bolts that gets ridiculously annoying.

The answer is a trolley jack but I don't have space for one.

For just a tyre change or pucture repair use the hilux spiral jack....it lifts in 2 stages....for other work where you need to get under the car use a trolley jack and put trestles under the car.....less complicatiins when lifting with a trolley jack....you can pick up front end once with the trolley jack by lifting it middle front....same with rear...

A large enough hardwood block of your preferred thickness will actually improve the stability, especially on softish sand/soil.

Then ad a two/three step bottle jack such as the ones from Mobi Jack, and bobs your uncle. http://www.mobi-jack.co.za/bottle_jacks.htm This works well when traveling.

In my garage, I use a trolly jack. Why sukkel?

Plus the mandatory supports!
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2020/01/13 at 09:01 AM.

Default Where to get a higher lift bottle jack?

I was at Pro Auto Rubber in Boksburg last week and they have a lot of solid rubber block options of various sizes. I didnít see the pricing but they look like good alternatives to wood.
    Last edited by KurtG; 2020/01/13 at 11:55 AM.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    I was at Pro Auto Rubber in Boksburg last week and they have a lot of various solid rubber block options of various sizes. I didnít see the pricing but they look like good alternatives to wood.
    Good idea. Will have a look myself.

The jack I use in my garage...lifting whole front end once....to put on trestles...