Looking for a capable everyday 4x4/Softroader - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Looking for a capable everyday 4x4/Softroader

Quote Originally Posted by Leeubok View Post
    Nabs, thanks very much for your comments. How's this one look for you: https://www.webuycars.co.za/buy-a-car/3EEA41812

I have narrowed down my search to the pajero sport, outlander and duster. Three completely different vehicles, I know, but time will tell which one tickles my fancy the most. The Duster leads the pack in terms of fuel efficiency, the PS in terms of space and go anywhere, and the Outlander is sort of in the middle of the other two. There are tons of Dusters available, not so many PS's (in my price bracket) and even fewer Outlanders.
    Looks good but then again what do I know. Best is to test drive. I feel like I got lucky with mine. Went into dealership looking for a Paj sport (having never owned any mitsu before). They didn't have any but an hour earlier the outlander was traded in and I could have a look and test. I was suitably impressed with it at the time and the rest is history

1 Duster with less than 40k km
    2 Grand Vitara with less than 70k km

Both very reliable, Grand Vitara probably slightly better off road, but duster very economical

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6.
    2003 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 - Surprisingly capable
    1996 Suzuki Samurai - work in progress

Sorry to Hijack...

So I am possible taking an early retirement...and will not be able to feed my Prado...so looking at capable alternative..not hardcore 4x4 ..
    Looked at all the options..and thinking of Freelander 2 post 2010 (diff issues)
    Appreciate comments please..

Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    Sorry to Hijack...

So I am possible taking an early retirement...and will not be able to feed my Prado...so looking at capable alternative..not hardcore 4x4 ..
    Please reconsider this if the Prado is paid off. Do the sums, it takes many MANY kilometres before you will break even. If it is a straight swop, then it might be a good idea, but I would still think twice on an old FL2 unless it has been properly maintained and even then.....
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

^ This. If you don't have a cheap, reliable runabout, perhaps consider one but you'll always miss your Prado once it's gone. Even if it's something like a R25k Citigolf or Uno.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

Sorry to Hijack...

This is a softroader thread. So, you have come to the right place for non-hardcore 4x4. Most softroaders offer all-wheel-drive. The Duster also offers a four-wheel lock selectable from the console and you can switch off the electronic skidding and braking nonsense for proper off-roading. The main thing about a softroader is the comfortable ride. If the boot isn't of sufficient size for your excursions, the diesel engine has plenty of torque for pulling a trailer.

Capable - I haven't been on an off-road course that's defeated me. I have opted out of certain vehicle damaging obstacles, but pulled the alternative path without difficulties. The Duster has good ground clearance even without my recent improvement.

"not able to feed" a Prado - the Duster's diesel is frugal. I'm getting 17.6 km / l or 5.68 l / 100 km. Also, the ongoing costs are comparatively low, especially if you are prepared to order parts from overseas. DIY is another cost-saving option.
    Renault Duster 4WD Gen1: No Meow, GC = 254mm

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Butch Dassie For This Useful Post:

Problem is it isn't...didn't think I would be looking at this so soon...but Covid has changed things..for many people...so I am having to re look at my options...I plan to do photographic tours...Botswana, Kgalagadi etc..nothing hardcore...
    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Please reconsider this if the Prado is paid off. Do the sums, it takes many MANY kilometres before you will break even. If it is a straight swop, then it might be a good idea, but I would still think twice on an old FL2 unless it has been properly maintained and even then.....

Had a long look at the Duster...just too small...and manual...
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch Dassie View Post
    This is a softroader thread. So, you have come to the right place for non-hardcore 4x4. Most softroaders offer all-wheel-drive. The Duster also offers a four-wheel lock selectable from the console and you can switch off the electronic skidding and braking nonsense for proper off-roading. The main thing about a softroader is the comfortable ride. If the boot isn't of sufficient size for your excursions, the diesel engine has plenty of torque for pulling a trailer.

Capable - I haven't been on an off-road course that's defeated me. I have opted out of certain vehicle damaging obstacles, but pulled the alternative path without difficulties. The Duster has good ground clearance even without my recent improvement.

"not able to feed" a Prado - the Duster's diesel is frugal. I'm getting 17.6 km / l or 5.68 l / 100 km. Also, the ongoing costs are comparatively low, especially if you are prepared to order parts from overseas. DIY is another cost-saving option.

Problem is it isn't...didn't think I would be looking at this so soon...but Covid has changed things..for many people...so I am having to re look at my options...I plan to do photographic tours...Botswana, Kgalagadi etc..nothing hardcore...
    Then you are getting deeper into debt for a tiny amount of fuel savings? I say again: do the sums.
    Percivamus

OT. @ Jelo, I sent you a PM. Please have a look
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Actually not deeper into debt...cost for the vehicle about the same...its the running cost I an trying to reduce..Prado 15lt/100... Duster..6 ish...FL2..8.5 ish...over time...at the km I do at least 2000km month....
    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Then you are getting deeper into debt for a tiny amount of fuel savings? I say again: do the sums.

What's the feeling...Duster cheaper to maintain than the FL2?

What's the feeling...Duster cheaper to maintain than the FL2?
    For sure.
    Percivamus

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

I’m running the same exercise at the moment - my bakkie is getting to the age where I’ve got big service (200 000km) and likely a clutch due for replacement within the next 20 000km.

As an aside, it’s amazing how well my Mazda BT50 has kept its value judging by advertised prices on Autotrader and Gumtree.

Thinking rather sell sell now, drive a softroader for a year or so and when I’ve saved a bit, get another DC bakkie and give my wife the softy to replace her 2015 Mazda 2.

We’ve just had our first child and the thought of the standard of drivers and active sabotage (bricks, glass from protests etc) on our roads makes me want wife and son in a higher vehicle with proper tyres.

I’ve owned two SG Foresters and loved them both. My XT head did go but I blame the prior owner and a lack of proper maintenance. We did many Mozam trips, Lesotho and miles of bad dirt roads.

I’ve found a ridiculously low mileage 2004 2.5X that I’m probably going to buy as it has been serviced properly so should be good.

The price of it also allows me to free up some nice cash for some needed house renovations from the sale of my BT50.

Father in law had a first gen Forester that was not cared for and it did 700000km!

I worked at Land Rover and agree that the Freelander 2 is a great car - I did some amazing trips in my company cars and they were solid, reliable and properly capable. The independent garages seem to have them figured out as well.

Suzuki Grand Vitara great car but quite heavy on fuel - same story as always - the simpler the engine the worse the consumption but the more peace of mind.

Two generation ago now RAV4 is a great option if you’re patient and find a Diesel 4x4 with good service history.

Limited personal experience with the Duster, I like the looks and the concept but there’s generally a reason for a vehicle to be priced lower than competitors.

To the O.P. Horses for courses - for a daily driver and short trips to game reserves, beach etc any of the above are great.

If if you can be patient you could find a great Hilux for R 200 k - I saw a 2009 4x4 D4D with under 150 000km, canopy etc for R 199 k this week with full service history. Once you’ve had a Double Cab your wife will love it as much as you they are just so versatile.

To Cruiser. For a Prado replacement and trips to more remote areas I would personally only go Rav4 or Suzuki Grand Vitara and then you’re only saving 3-5l / 100km.

Try to use other car in the family as much as possible and keep the Prado!
    Last edited by Andrew5336; 2020/07/06 at 07:29 AM.
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew5336 For This Useful Post:

Higher vehicle: The Duster has good height as evidenced by its higher ground clearance (GC) than its competitors. By replacing my dampers only with higher shock base, now only the Trailblazer, Grand Cherokee and Disco have higher GC.

The diesel Duster is very frugal at 17.6 km / l or 5.68 l / 100 km.

ďthereís generally a reason for a vehicle to be priced lower than competitorsĒ
    Yes, it doesn't have many of the fiddly electronic gizmos that typically break-down when you are far from a repair shop. Also, the engine is simpler with just eight valves. Again, less to go wrong. You can always add these items later with after-market trinkets.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butch Dassie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Dassie View Post
    Higher vehicle: The Duster has good height as evidenced by its higher ground clearance (GC) than its competitors. By replacing my dampers only with higher shock base, now only the Trailblazer, Grand Cherokee and Disco have higher GC.

The diesel Duster is very frugal at 17.6 km / l or 5.68 l / 100 km.

ďthereís generally a reason for a vehicle to be priced lower than competitorsĒ
    Yes, it doesn't have many of the fiddly electronic gizmos that typically break-down when you are far from a repair shop. Also, the engine is simpler with just eight valves. Again, less to go wrong. You can always add these items later with after-market trinkets.
    100% with you on unnecessary crap on modern cars.

I need AC, some airbags, central locking, decent radio and electric windows.

You can keep your rain sensing wipers, lane departure warning etc etc.
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew5336 For This Useful Post:

Actually not deeper into debt...cost for the vehicle about the same...its the running cost I an trying to reduce..Prado 15lt/100... Duster..6 ish...FL2..8.5 ish...over time...at the km I do at least 2000km month....
    Hi Cruiser - Just a heads up, the FL2 is great, I had a 2013 HSE 2.2 D - very comfortable, reasonable power, interior space a bit smaller than an X-trail, but they are not as fuel efficient as they are made out to be - 8.5l/100km you might see if you are lucky, it is safer to work on 10-12L per 100km.
    FJ CRUISER 2012
    EX Freelander 2 HSE SD 2.2 2013 Facelift
    EX 2017 Isuzu Kb300 Double Cab
    Ex 2015 Nissan X-Trail 1.6D
    Ex BMW 320d (great when running)
    Ex 1997 Isuzu KB280 DC
    EX 1993/4 Opel Astra 140

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Hendre10 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew5336 View Post
    100% with you on unnecessary crap on modern cars.

I need AC, some airbags, central locking, decent radio and electric windows.
    The Duster has these although I would recommend upgrading the speakers, which holds true for many vehicles that I have purchased.

The problem here is that you are only looking at fuel costs. You need to do the calculations for total costs that includes service, parts, insuranc, etc etc

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Greenhorn For This Useful Post:

Looked at the Grand...Heavy on fuel...I want Auto..and very small boot..
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew5336 View Post
    Iím running the same exercise at the moment - my bakkie is getting to the age where Iíve got big service (200 000km) and likely a clutch due for replacement within the next 20 000km.

As an aside, itís amazing how well my Mazda BT50 has kept its value judging by advertised prices on Autotrader and Gumtree.

Thinking rather sell sell now, drive a softroader for a year or so and when Iíve saved a bit, get another DC bakkie and give my wife the softy to replace her 2015 Mazda 2.

Weíve just had our first child and the thought of the standard of drivers and active sabotage (bricks, glass from protests etc) on our roads makes me want wife and son in a higher vehicle with proper tyres.

Iíve owned two SG Foresters and loved them both. My XT head did go but I blame the prior owner and a lack of proper maintenance. We did many Mozam trips, Lesotho and miles of bad dirt roads.

Iíve found a ridiculously low mileage 2004 2.5X that Iím probably going to buy as it has been serviced properly so should be good.

The price of it also allows me to free up some nice cash for some needed house renovations from the sale of my BT50.

Father in law had a first gen Forester that was not cared for and it did 700000km!

I worked at Land Rover and agree that the Freelander 2 is a great car - I did some amazing trips in my company cars and they were solid, reliable and properly capable. The independent garages seem to have them figured out as well.

Suzuki Grand Vitara great car but quite heavy on fuel - same story as always - the simpler the engine the worse the consumption but the more peace of mind.

Two generation ago now RAV4 is a great option if youíre patient and find a Diesel 4x4 with good service history.

Limited personal experience with the Duster, I like the looks and the concept but thereís generally a reason for a vehicle to be priced lower than competitors.

To the O.P. Horses for courses - for a daily driver and short trips to game reserves, beach etc any of the above are great.

If if you can be patient you could find a great Hilux for R 200 k - I saw a 2009 4x4 D4D with under 150 000km, canopy etc for R 199 k this week with full service history. Once youíve had a Double Cab your wife will love it as much as you they are just so versatile.

To Cruiser. For a Prado replacement and trips to more remote areas I would personally only go Rav4 or Suzuki Grand Vitara and then youíre only saving 3-5l / 100km.

Try to use other car in the family as much as possible and keep the Prado!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast