Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Looking for a capable everyday 4x4/Softroader

Suzuki Grand Vitara.

Duster

The best softroader we have in the family is the First Wife's Pajero

Just kidding Riaan

Have a look at the Jeep Patriot. Bought my Laaitjie one out the box. Apart from ground clearance which is easily sorted, it takes him on fishing trips, part time and full time 4WD, nicely specced and lots of space. Easy to live with on road. Good safety features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku7CUedujdw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfXocI02BJc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpEpvcld5uA
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    The best softroader we have in the family is the First Wife's Pajero

Just kidding Riaan

Have a look at the Jeep Patriot. Bought my Laaitjie one out the box. Apart from ground clearance which is easily sorted, it takes him on fishing trips, part time and full time 4WD, nicely specced and lots of space. Easy to live with on road. Good safety features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku7CUedujdw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfXocI02BJc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpEpvcld5uA
    Riaan just choked on his Captain.

🤣

When traveling through Namibia last year if tourists weren’t in a hire bakkie they were in Dusters - must say something for their ability and durability

I'm in exactly the same boat as the OP at the moment. Need to replace SWAMBOS platkar that didn't survive a collision with a rock, so want to replace it with a decent softroader that can handle the gravel roads we travel on daily. I'm still deciding whether I should get something cheaper, in the R100k - R150k region, or splash out a bit more and look in the R150k - R200k region.

If I go with the cheaper price bracket options are obviously more limited, and one will be looking at an older duster (2013-2016) with 100k+ mileage.
    VW Tiguan (seems a bit small), 2010 -2012 with 120k+ mileage
    Hyundai ix35, 2010 - 2013 with 130k+ mileage
    Kia Sportage 2012-2014 with 130k+ mileage
    Mitsubishi Outlander 2010 -2012 with 130k+ mileage
    Mitsubishi ASX 2012 - 2014 with 120k+ mileage
    In this group, a newer Duster with much lower mileage would be the smart choice.

If I can convince the bank manager to help me out, and look in the R150k - R200k region:
    2016 - 2018 Renault Duster 1.5 dCi with <100k km
    2014 Pajero sport 2.5 (4x4 auto), 120k km - R200k
    2015 Pajero sport 2.5 (2x4 auto), 175k km - R170k
    2014 Outlander (newer shape), 100k km - R178k

I'm a big mitsu fan, so I'd really like to get a Pajero Sport. But the smarter choice would probably be a newer Duster with less mileage, wouldn't it? Plus, it's SWAMBOs car so it shouldn't really matter what I like.
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton D/C 2.4 manual 4x4
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 Auto 4x4
    1998 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.0 V6 - SOLD
    2017 Ford Ranger XLS Auto 4x4 D/C - SOLD
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD D/C - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Leeubok View Post
    I'm in exactly the same boat as the OP at the moment. Need to replace SWAMBOS platkar that didn't survive a collision with a rock, so want to replace it with a decent softroader that can handle the gravel roads we travel on daily. I'm still deciding whether I should get something cheaper, in the R100k - R150k region, or splash out a bit more and look in the R150k - R200k region.

If I go with the cheaper price bracket options are obviously more limited, and one will be looking at an older duster (2013-2016) with 100k+ mileage.
    VW Tiguan (seems a bit small), 2010 -2012 with 120k+ mileage
    Hyundai ix35, 2010 - 2013 with 130k+ mileage
    Kia Sportage 2012-2014 with 130k+ mileage
    Mitsubishi Outlander 2010 -2012 with 130k+ mileage
    Mitsubishi ASX 2012 - 2014 with 120k+ mileage
    In this group, a newer Duster with much lower mileage would be the smart choice.

If I can convince the bank manager to help me out, and look in the R150k - R200k region:
    2016 - 2018 Renault Duster 1.5 dCi with <100k km
    2014 Pajero sport 2.5 (4x4 auto), 120k km - R200k
    2015 Pajero sport 2.5 (2x4 auto), 175k km - R170k
    2014 Outlander (newer shape), 100k km - R178k

I'm a big mitsu fan, so I'd really like to get a Pajero Sport. But the smarter choice would probably be a newer Duster with less mileage, wouldn't it? Plus, it's SWAMBOs car so it shouldn't really matter what I like.
    Out of those I will probably get the Kia Sportage - great suv and reliable

I would net get a renault even if it was free....
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    Platkar - Haaihoendaai i20 1.4 SOLD

Ex'es
    KIA Sorento 2.5 Crdi 4x4 (diesel guzzler of note)
    Nissan Terrano II 2.7
    Mazda Drifter DC 2.5 4x4
    Toyota 60 series 5.7 V8
    Daihatsu Rocky 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    I would net get a renault even if it was free....
    And even less a Dacia.

Get one of the Mitsubishi's, probably the Outlander. How about the CRV or a Subaru?

Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    And even less a Dacia.

Get one of the Mitsubishi's, probably the Outlander. How about the CRV or a Subaru?
    We had an opportunity to buy a CRV from a friend of SWAMBOs who's emigrating. But I seriously dislike the look of the car, plus this specific one had a mechanical issue that they were busy sorting out. Also read it is very heavy on juice. Even more so than an auto PS.

Subaru... ja no.. I dunno! Very underrated vehicles here in SA, I know. I would probably consider a Forester, but lower down on my list.

Those saying they wouldn't touch a Duster, care to elaborate why?

Dacia has a better name than Renault in the UK. More Dusters are sold in the UK branded Dacia. Whereas here and in India, Dusters were rebranded Renault. Dacia sells well and many Dacia models do not make it to our shores.
    Renault Duster 4WD Gen1: No Meow, GC = 254mm

I wouldn't touch the Outlander. Friend of mine had to replace the CVT quite early on, maybe 120k km, and the mechanic said it's normal, they have a very limited lifespan.

I drove a rental Duster for a few days. Had 30k km on it and it was full of squeaks and creaks. Def not a high quality frame/body. I loved the diesel engine through, absolute gem. Hands down one of the best engines out there. Has a lot of grunt despite the displacement and it's cheaper in fuel than a bycicle.

As I said at the top of the thread I owned a 2007 forester. I loved it. But I can't comment on the newer ones. I never heard of reliability issues though, especially once the head gasket curse was fixed with the SH models.

Those saying they wouldn't touch a Duster, care to elaborate why?
    The correct answer to that would be perception I would suspect. Not much based on any factual information.
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

I did this exercise almost exactly a year ago. Test drove many of what's mentioned all above.
    Ended up with an outlander and love love love driving it everyday. Not as powerful as the Subaru, not as fancy as the fl2, not as fuel efficient as the duster but makes me happy all the time.
    As recently as last night I was on thick sand and pulled up next to a d4d and disco 2. Wide eyes from those guys who came over to see 'watte kar is die'.
    Currently on 135 000km and haven't had any issues thus far besides a dirty throttle body which I DIY'ed in 20 minutes with some spray cleaner from the local spares shop. Servicing also pretty simple DIY job.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    I did this exercise almost exactly a year ago. Test drove many of what's mentioned all above.
    Ended up with an outlander and love love love driving it everyday. Not as powerful as the Subaru, not as fancy as the fl2, not as fuel efficient as the duster but makes me happy all the time.
    As recently as last night I was on thick sand and pulled up next to a d4d and disco 2. Wide eyes from those guys who came over to see 'watte kar is die'.
    Currently on 135 000km and haven't had any issues thus far besides a dirty throttle body which I DIY'ed in 20 minutes with some spray cleaner from the local spares shop. Servicing also pretty simple DIY job.
    Hi Nabs. Good to hear this! I'm a big mitsu fan so would love to stick with the brand. What year model do you have? What is the cvt box and fuel consumption like?

I've got a 2012. Would've like something newer but the budget just didn't allow that. Fuel consumption is slightly on the heavier side of life but for the most part I've gotten used to it and adjusted my driving style a bit (less speeding fines as well) so I suppose it's a good thing.
    I'm perfectly fine with the CVT. That being said, this is also my first auto vehicle. I was a die hard manual fanboy until I took the auto box onto the sand. It's make life so much more relaxing.
    This is my fuel consumption over the last year. Bear in mind that I spend my time in bumper to bumper traffic twice a day and on occasion 4 times a day. I'm basically a school, work and extra murals taxi driver in my household.
    Hi Nabs. Good to hear this! I'm a big mitsu fan so would love to stick with the brand. What year model do you have? What is the cvt box and fuel consumption like?
    Name:  Screenshot_20200206-173905.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  21.4 KB

Thanks for the info! Last question, what's the ground clearance like? I don't need to do rock crawling with it, but it must be able to do gravel roads and the odd jeep track with ease

I haven't really tested the ground clearance but I believe it's quoted as being slightly more than an X-Trail. Think the X-Trail is 200mm. Outlander doesn't look like it's higher but it may be an optical illusion since it's quite long and not as boxy as the X-Trail.
    I drove the beach trail along De kelders in Gansbaai last month and didn't have a problem. The first half was loose rocks and some rocky holes and ditches. Also do regular beach sand and never bottomed out. As with anything else a bit of logic is involved. I won't go where I see V8 patrols having trouble.

I also have to add that I was under no illusion that the outlander would be a better performer offroad. I agree that the Grand Vitara, duster and fl2 would most probably out perform the outlander in an off road test but the space of the mitsu is what did it for me. I love long road trips and prefer having lots of space to pack so I can avoid dragging a trailer behind me. During the December holidays were 4 adults and a child, all sitting comfortably with everyone's bags and all my fishing things (3 rods, chiller, canvas bag, wader, nets, emergency kit and small essential toolbox plus food for 2 weeks. I doubt all of that would fit into any of the above.
    The Rockford sound system is not too shabby either.
    Last edited by Nabs; 2020/02/06 at 10:21 PM.

Nabs, thanks very much for your comments. How's this one look for you: https://www.webuycars.co.za/buy-a-car/3EEA41812

I have narrowed down my search to the pajero sport, outlander and duster. Three completely different vehicles, I know, but time will tell which one tickles my fancy the most. The Duster leads the pack in terms of fuel efficiency, the PS in terms of space and go anywhere, and the Outlander is sort of in the middle of the other two. There are tons of Dusters available, not so many PS's (in my price bracket) and even fewer Outlanders.

Thanks for the info! Last question, what's the ground clearance like? I don't need to do rock crawling with it, but it must be able to do gravel roads and the odd jeep track with ease
    The 4WD Duster's GC is 210mm and includes a fairly stout metal skidpan, which together are arguably class leading. Any higher GC will cost you a lot more of which most are on bakkie frames.
    Renault Duster 4WD Gen1: No Meow, GC = 254mm

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast