Td5 steering shudder/shake 1999 Td5 D90

Exclamation Td5 steering shudder/shake 1999 Td5 D90

Howzit guys

Recently (1 week or so) my Defender started shuddering/shaking between 60-80km/h. Sometimes it's minor and sometimes its rough until I speed up or slow down. I thought maybe I lost a wheel weight which caused an imbalance.

To try get this sorted I purchased a voucher from Hyperli for balancing and alignment and took my car in to a shop in Randburg. Before they started the guy said there is a small flatspot on my rear tyres and they wont balance it, but will do alignment. Alignment done but no improvement.
    I was also quoted for 5 new tyres but told to find out what caused the problem before replacing tyres.

Part of me is not satisfied with the tyres not being balanced (or attempted to balance), and think I should go somewhere and pay full price for balance and alignment to see what they say.

How do I start troubleshooting this? Shocks have done 25k km's, wheel bearings seem fine (last checked 10k km's ago) and steering damper is not showing any visible leaks.

Any advice appreciated. The car is used daily so would like to get this sorted as soon as I can

Default Re: Td5 steering shudder/shake 1999 Td5 D90

Work done about 10k km's ago:

Panhard rod bushes
    Tie rod balljoints
    Steering box recon (still leaking at input side)
    Drop arm balljont

There was no shake/shudder before or after this was done.

Tyres have 50% + tread left but understand this doesn't mean the tyre is healthy.
    Last edited by miks.; 2020/01/13 at 08:44 AM.

I would also check your radius arm bushes as well as preload on swivels.

Its best practice to change the bushes all together.

Slap bang at the usual speed for worn Panhard rod bushes. Yes, I saw they were replaced a while ago, but I've seen new bushes being destroyed during installation by so -called experts. Also some pirate rubber parts are of dubious quality, I've eventually gone to PU bushes as they are easy to change in the veld, and I carry a set of spares. So check / have it checked as a start.
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

Flat spots on your rear tires will not cause steering wheel shake.
    They might cause a vibration to come through the whole vehicle but not the steering.

What you have sounds like the start of a death wobble and as mike N said, double check all your bushes.
    Land Rover Defender 90
    Almost expedition ready...

Did they check the panhard rod bolts as well as the round holes on the mounting plates, see some that have worn, so even with new bushes they still can be movement
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

Thanks guys.

I will take a look this evening. Is there a way to visually inspect the bushes or will I need to take the panhard rod out?

The bushes that were replaces are allmakes, I suspect that was the problem. We replaced the bolts as well when the bushes were done.