TPMS - Temperature Setting

Default TPMS - Temperature Setting

What is the correct / safe setting for tyre temperatures on a TPMS? I've tried to find a safe tyre operating temperature value on the net, but no luck.

On our December trip my caravan tyres gave an alarm on the Carnavon / Vosburg road. Temps where 71˚C! Vehicle was running at 65 on front wheels and 69 on back wheels. Unit alarm set at 70˚C on all axles.

Don't think there was an issue there, but would like to get the correct setting on the unit.

Thanks

Johan
    Pajero Gen 4 GLX 30 Year Heritage Edition - Grondpad
    VW Tiguan 2.0TDi - Teerpad
    Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow

Default Re: TPMS - Temperature Setting

Quote Originally Posted by LowRange View Post
    What is the correct / safe setting for tyre temperatures on a TPMS? I've tried to find a safe tyre operating temperature value on the net, but no luck.

On our December trip my caravan tyres gave an alarm on the Carnavon / Vosburg road. Temps where 71˚C! Vehicle was running at 65 on front wheels and 69 on back wheels. Unit alarm set at 70˚C on all axles.

Don't think there was an issue there, but would like to get the correct setting on the unit.

Thanks

Johan
    Leave it as it is. 70 is a safe bet. 5 or so degrees will not be an issue, but the alarm will ensure that you keep an eye on it. Just stop if it goes to much higher, also check the pressure. It may be way too low.

A lot of people deflate their tyres when going onto a dirt road, but do not realise if you drop to say about 1.6 bar, you must lower your speed accordingly, and not exceed 80, maybe even 70 kph. Low pressure and speed lead to overheating, and that is what causes tyre failure, very quickly.

If you set it to say 80 degrees, by the time you get a warning of it going over that setting, it may already have damaged the tyre
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    Leave it as it is. 70 is a safe bet. 5 or so degrees will not be an issue, but the alarm will ensure that you keep an eye on it. Just stop if it goes to much higher, also check the pressure. It may be way too low.

A lot of people deflate their tyres when going onto a dirt road, but do not realise if you drop to say about 1.6 bar, you must lower your speed accordingly, and not exceed 80, maybe even 70 kph. Low pressure and speed lead to overheating, and that is what causes tyre failure, very quickly.

If you set it to say 80 degrees, by the time you get a warning of it going over that setting, it may already have damaged the tyre
    The default setting on my TPMS system is 70 C so I would leave it at 70
    Ford Ranger Supercab 3.2 auto 4 x 4
    Blinkgat camper, Stofpad sump and gearbox guard,ironman snorkel,maxxis bighorn,firestone air springs
    Mazda MX5 _ sold after 5 happy years
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

OK, thanks. Going to leave it at 70 for the next trip. It was only on this particular stretch where it came on and I was in a bit of a hurry to make the gate at Mokala!
    Pajero Gen 4 GLX 30 Year Heritage Edition - Grondpad
    VW Tiguan 2.0TDi - Teerpad
    Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow

I set it on 60. Just to have an early warning, but so far never had a temperature warning. With a slow puncture you usually get a pressure warning long before it reach those temperatures.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe