Overberg Dune Driving

Default Overberg Dune Driving

Hi to all read this thread.

The Brandfontein Dune belt is an absolute no go zone. The issue is that the neighbouring farm, Renosterkop, is giving public access to the dunes through its adjoining land.

The Brandfontein/Rietfontein nature reserve does not allow any dune activity, or veld driving, and has been placed under great pressure by Facebook and Instagram postings of people driving on their property.

So yes, unfortunately it is illegal. The largest portion of this dune belt falls in the Brandfontein Nature Reserve.

The entire dune belt is declared a National Heritage site due to its very sensitive ecosystem with tons of breeding birds, insects and rare dune plants as well as fossils of plants and animals that are permanently disrupted, removed and destroyed by vehicular traffic.

The trust members are completely conservation orientated and dedicated to maintaining natural ecosystems. They also have a very strong alien vegetation policy for the dunes and the rest of the land.

So yes, let's respect their efforts to conserve.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dirk; 2020/01/09 at 05:18 PM.

Default Re: Overberg Dune Driving

Somewhere in the future Dept of Environmental Affairs is gonna dust off the work done towards establishing the Off Road Council of SA.

Those pesky rules or Norms and Standards for taking your 4x4 off road.

1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

I see there are regional dune driving competitions held on here, sponsored by a well known off-road tire brand.

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    I see there are regional dune driving competitions held on here, sponsored by a well known off-road tire brand.
    Details?
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Details?
    My SWAMBO just showed me an advert on facebook. I donít have facebook, but will get her to send me the link later.

Apparently if one just search for Brandfontein or Rietfontein duine it comes up.