Campsite suggestion between Twee Rivieren (KTP) en Lilydale (Mokala)

Default Campsite suggestion between Twee Rivieren (KTP) en Lilydale (Mokala)

Hello,

We're narrowing down the itinerary of our family trip (me and my wife and our kids of 3, 4 and 6y old) through SA and Namibia that kicks off next week and will end on the 9th of April. I'm in the process of planning the last days of our trip with 3 nights in Mata Mata, one night in Twee Rivieren and afterwards another three nights in Mokala (1 in Lilydale, 2 in Motswedi campsite) before we head back to Johannesburg to take our plane home.

My question is about the trip between Twee Rivieren and Mokala (northern gate). That is around 670km and 7h drive following Google Maps which is too long for us (and especially for our kids) to do in one single day. So we planned to have a stopover and spend a night in between. As I read about security issues around Upington I would rather not stay there. Anyone has a suggestion on a relaxed and safe camp site we could stay on about halfway the road between Twee Rivieren and Lilydale? No need for a resort with heaps of activities as this is just a stopover, but we anyhow appreciate staying on calm spots. We don't need a powered site neither as we will 'fill up our batteries' in Lilydale where we booked a bungalow.

Obviously, your suggestion may also influence the road we'll take, as there are different options. Thanks for giving us your suggestion!

Name:  Twee Rivieren Border Control (RSA) naar Lilydale Rest Camp - Google Maps kopie.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  133.3 KB

Default Re: Campsite suggestion between Twee Rivieren (KTP) en Lilydale (Mokala)

On the T4A map there is camping at Kheis Riverside Lodge just past Groblershoop on the N8. I have not been there but may be worth investigating.
    Pete

ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA

2002 Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo 3.0

Default Re: Campsite suggestion between Twee Rivieren (KTP) en Lilydale (Mokala)

Witsand Nature Reserve (https://www.northern-cape-info.co.za...nature-reserve) is at about the halfway point and is very definitely worth a visit but you'd probably want to spend at least a full day there and not just an overnight. Maybe slightly off your route but one of the best options closer to Upington, about 30Km southwest of the town Ornajerus is excellent for a stopover http://oranjerus.com/index.html.
    Cheers,
    Frank.

My Blog
    YouTube Channel

Boegoeberg on the Orange River between Groblershoop and Griekwastad also comes to mind.

Also about halfway from Twee Rivieren to Mokala.

Try Tkabies.co.za 7km west of Keimoes on the N14

Kheis is a nice place on the bank of the Orange river. There are neat chalets and a excellant camping site.
    I went there for a mere stopover and stayed 3 days..
    http://www.kheisriverside.co.za