Where to fit second valve stem for TPMS

Default Where to fit second valve stem for TPMS

This discussion came up in Zapiture's December Odyssey thread. I have started a new thread so as not to derail his thread

Malcolm showed his wheel with a second valve placed near the original. I asked if it would not be better if it was placed opposite the original to facilitate balancing.
    Damdan replied that it would make balancing more difficult and should be near the original valve. Please could you explain why this is so as intuitively I would have thought that the extra weight would be better if it were opposite the existing valve.

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    Contact Abraham Kruger on 082 926-0585. He is in the south west of Pretoria (Hennops area IIRC). He sells the Tyre Guard system that the units fit on in place of a valve cap, so can be fitted with the tyre in place. That make it possible to change the rim on which the unit is fitted, meaning each unit retains it position (when rotating rims and tyres), the same unit can thus always represent the RF, or LF tyre, for instance.
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...itoring-System

It can take anything from 1 to 28 units on one system, and the dash unit is small, just bigger than a match box. Uses bluetooth comms.

What i did with my 2 4x4s is; I drilled an extra hole in the rim, on the inside of the wheel, behind a spoke (MAKE SURE THE NEW VALVE WILL MISS YOUR BRAKE CALIPER!!!! , fitted a new (VERY) short stemmed valve there and put the unit on this 2nd valve in each rim. This keeps the unit safe from prying eyes and minimises the risk of the filling station attendant accidentally forgetting the replace the unit after checking tyre pressures.

So far so good with mine after 2 years....
    You can just see the unit peeping out behind the spoke..... (not the easiest thing to set the phone camera to focus on!)
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...1&d=1577961550 Can't load the picture

Quote Originally Posted by Woolf View Post
    Would it not be better to place the additional valve opposite the existing valve to facilitate wheel balancing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Damdan View Post
    "Would it not be better to place the additional valve opposite the existing valve to facilitate wheel balancing?"

No, it makes balancing much more difficult.
    A second valve with attachment should be as close as possible to the existing valve, for instance in the space between the next spokes of the rim iykwim.

Default Re: Where to fit second valve stem for TPMS

I had extra holes drilled exactly opposite the original ones and have not experienced any balancing issues.

Yes. Having two things of same weight opposite to each other will cancel each other out.

That's why if someone balances your wheels and you see two weights opposite of each other, the guy doesn't know what he is doing.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

I had the holes drilled into my mags by Mag Master, who repairs and refurbishes mags here in eastern Jhb. The owner who used to do all the repairs before (he now has a guy doing it for him), told me in his experience it is best to fit the two valves closer together.

It does not seem to influence the balancing as the weights are still in random places, not opposite where the two valves are, nor does any wheel take a huge amount of weights. One wheel has a total of 40g, all 4 the others have 30g or less in total, on both inner and outer side of the rim.

I would think it is a matter of preference. I initially also wanted to put them opposite each other but the owner of Mag Master convinced me not to. I cannot exactly remember his explanation as to why his way was better.....

All I can remember was that he said to cancel each other out, the valves would both have to be fitted in the centre of the mag, not both on the outer half of the mag....
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/01/07 at 10:02 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

I would think it is a matter of preference. I initially also wanted to put them opposite each other but the owner of Mag Master convinced me not to. I cannot exactly remember his explanation as to why his way was better.....

All I can remember was that he said to cancel each other out, the valves would both have to be fitted in the centre of the mag, not both on the outer half of the mag....
    Preference I understand. Everybody has to right to choose.

But his reason in your last paragraph is just nonsense. Although the change will be very small, weight wise, the principal stays the same. What you have on one side of a rotating thing must be cancelled out by something on the opposite side.

Also in my opinion 2 holes on one side of wheel is potentially creating a weak spot and this is the biggest reason why I won't do it.

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

I'm curious... Why would you want a dedicated valve stem for the TPMS sensor? Have had mine on the normal valve stem for years, no issues.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

The Tyre Guard monitor, that screws onto the valve, comes with a lock nut type thing to make it a bit more difficult to be accidentally re-allocated. This is held in place by 3 tiny allen key jobbies. As a result it also makes it more difficult to remove when deflating or inflating. A 2nd valve solves this problem.

Wheel balancing is to balance the TYRES fitted to the wheels, as the wheel is designed with the valve stem in mind, but tyres are hugely variable items due to their manufacture and flexibility, so an additional stem fitted anywhere will make a minor difference to the RIM'S balancing as the bulk of the weights are there for the tyre.

I don't think road-going tyres are marked with them, but aircraft tyres and tubes have a mark that corresponds to the valve stem position for when they are installed.
    TUBE-TYPE

Use the correct tire and tube for the wheel assembly.
    Clean inside of tire, then lubricate lightly with talc.
    Inflate tube to slightly round, and insert in tire.
    Align yellow stripe on tube with red balance dot on tire. Align red dot with valve if no stripe on tube.
    When mounting tire and tube on wheel, be sure that wheel bolts are torqued to wheel manufacturer's instructions before inflating.
    Inflate tire in a safety cage to rated pressure.
    Deflate assembly to equalize stretch.
    Reinflate to rated pressure.
    After 12 hour stretch period, reinflate to rated inflation pressure.

NOTE: Aircraft tubes are made of 100% natural rubber and will diffuse limited amounts of inflation gas. Check inflation pressure prior to each flight.
    If pressure drops more than 5 percent in the next 24 hours:

Check valve core for leakage.
    If OK, disassemble tire/tube from wheels and check tube for leaks. Replace tube if necessary.

TUBELESS TIRES
    A new O-ring seal with the correct part number should be used at each tire change following the wheel manufacturer's specifications.

Check for word "Tubeless" on sidewall.
    Make sure tire is clean inside. Clean the bead base with a cloth dampened with denatured alcohol. Allow bead seat area to dry.
    Align red balance dot on tire with wheel valve or wheel heavy point, if indicated on wheel. If no balance dot appears on the tire, align the tire serial number and valve stem.
    Be sure that wheel bolts are properly torqued per the wheel manufacturer's instructions.
    Inflate tire in a safety cage to rated pressure.
    After 12 hour stretch period, reinflate to rated inflation pressure.

If pressure drops more than 5 percent in the next 24 hours:
    Check with water or soap solution for loose or defective valve, valve core, valve seal, fuse plug, pressure release plug, O-ring seal, wheel base and flanges.
    If no leaks are found, rerun 24 hour diffusion check. If pressure still drops more than 5%, disassemble tire/wheel assembly.
    Check wheel O-ring seal for condition, proper size and type, and lubricant.
    Check wheel for cracks, porosity, fuse plug or pressure release plug malfunction.

https://www.desser.com/content/tire_mounting_info.asp
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Yes, some manufacturers do add the balancing dot, although I have seen both red and yellow on tubeless tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    I'm curious... Why would you want a dedicated valve stem for the TPMS sensor? Have had mine on the normal valve stem for years, no issues.
    Theft and naughty boys when parked in public spaces... The second valve is hidden from view, behind a spoke of the mag. Also for the reason Daniek mentioned.

I've even had mag wheel centre caps stolen off my vehicle just recently, right outside a police station...
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/01/08 at 09:05 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Slightly off topic but probably the correct place to ask for advice. I bought the Tireguard TPMS from Abraham in July 2019, fantastic service, we met in Pretoria and he fitted everything for me. I have had two tyre problems since fitting the TPMS and on both occasions the alarm has sounded and I have reacted by stopping and recognising the problem. On both occasions it was not a puncture but rather a cracked valve stem. Both times the cracked valve stem was on the Bush Lapa. On the second occasion the tyre repairer said a cracked valve stem was highly unusual and when I explained that it had happened shortly before on the other Bush Lapa wheel the repairer said he thought that it could well be the additional weight of the unit that was causing excessive vibration of the stem leading to the cracking, the stems are pretty long, but standard. The stems on the vehicle, when having the foam wrap around provided by Tireguard fitted do not move much as they fit snuggly but there is no real protection on the caravan rims. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I am currently out of South Africa and I will contact Abraham when I return but interested to hear if I’m the first.
    John
    2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715
    Don't let your dreams remain dreams

I have fitted steel valve stems with the TPMS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    Slightly off topic but probably the correct place to ask for advice. I bought the Tireguard TPMS from Abraham in July 2019, fantastic service, we met in Pretoria and he fitted everything for me. I have had two tyre problems since fitting the TPMS and on both occasions the alarm has sounded and I have reacted by stopping and recognising the problem. On both occasions it was not a puncture but rather a cracked valve stem. Both times the cracked valve stem was on the Bush Lapa. On the second occasion the tyre repairer said a cracked valve stem was highly unusual and when I explained that it had happened shortly before on the other Bush Lapa wheel the repairer said he thought that it could well be the additional weight of the unit that was causing excessive vibration of the stem leading to the cracking, the stems are pretty long, but standard. The stems on the vehicle, when having the foam wrap around provided by Tireguard fitted do not move much as they fit snuggly but there is no real protection on the caravan rims. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I am currently out of South Africa and I will contact Abraham when I return but interested to hear if I’m the first.

You get several lengths of valve stems. I broke one of the normal length stems and went off to Mag Master and asked their opinion.

You get 2 valves with shorter stems than standard, so I got ten valves with the shortest stem possible and fitted 5 to the mags currently on the Patrol. I have not had a problem yet in the 18 months since.

I will fit the other 5 on the mags on which the muds are fitted when the occasion presents itself....

Eish, since fixing my phones cracked rear glass panel, my camera is pathetic... won't focus properly close-up...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/01/10 at 12:31 PM.
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

Quote Originally Posted by Daniek View Post
    I have fitted steel valve stems with the TPMS.
    You get several lengths of valve stems. I broke one of the normal length stems and went off to Mag Master and asked their opinion.

You get 2 valves with shorter stems than standard, so I got ten valves with the shortest stem possible and fitted 5 to the mags currently on the Patrol. I have not had a problem yet in the 18 months since.

I will fit the other 5 on the mags on which the muds are fitted when the occasion presents itself....

Eish, since fixing my phones cracked rear glass panel, my camera is pathetic... won't focus properly close-up...
    Thanks for the kind assistance, as soon as I get back to my caravan I will make the necessary adjustments. I'll do my car too.

By the way Malcolm you weren't related to the late Adrian Van Coller were you, it is an unusual surname?
    John
    Baobab BL1715

This was on my previous JK. External TPMS on the one valve.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

[QUOTE=Tedx2;4302215]By the way Malcolm you weren't related to the late Adrian Van Coller were you, it is an unusual surname?[/QUOTE

Must be family, only one Von Cóller came to SA, in about the 1680s, but there are quite a lot of us. I don't know him.
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

[QUOTE=mvcoller;4302306]
    By the way Malcolm you weren't related to the late Adrian Van Coller were you, it is an unusual surname?[/QUOTE

Must be family, only one Von Cóller came to SA, in about the 1680s, but there are quite a lot of us. I don't know him.
    He was my predecessor as Financial Director at a sugar refining company in Harare (ZSR (Pvt) Ltd), he would be in his 90's if he were still alive today. One of life's true gentlemen, I was honoured to get to know him, he taught me much!!
    John
    Baobab BL1715

By the way Malcolm you weren't related to the late Adrian Van Coller were you, it is an unusual surname?

But Reg Nield, ex Nield Enterprises and Eyes for Zimbabwe and ex Rhodesian Rugby captain circa 1970 was my dad's cousin. My wife, sons and I visited him and Iris and his extended family often when returning from our overlanding jaunts in Africa.

Once when we were visiting there, he invited me along to Old Hararians Rugby Club at lunchtime. He went there every lunchtime (he was in his 60s already) to play touch rugby with them and "to informally train the youngsters in the finer points of rugby". He was proud that he could still run with the "young dogs" for at least 20 to 30 minutes, despite his age.

I have not been there since he passed away, but his daughters are still organising donations of clothes mainly via the Mormons (they are all Mormons) in Utah and Salt Lake City for the poorer Zimbabweans , especially around Xmas, and corneas for cornea transplants organised by their charity called 'Eyes for Zimbabwe'
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/01/11 at 10:01 AM.
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

Abraham also recommended a second valve for his tpms system(I bought from him a while ago) but he does not install those.Where can I have a second hole drilled and is it safe on a alloy rim?
    Btw I recommend buying extra sensors , batteries and plastic caps(for the sensors) for Abrahams system, I had a few sensor failures and those plastic caps on the sensors crack easily. Abraham is helpful to replace / repair faulty units.
    VW Amarok 3.0
    Invader duo

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald View Post
    Wthere can I have a second hole drilled and is it safe on a alloy rim?
    Best to take it to a place that repairs mag wheels. They will then also be able to fit the valve, as at least one side of the tyre will have to be de-beaded off the rim. Valves have to be fitted from the inside of the tyre/rim cavity.

Very safe, two valve holes are no less safe than one.....
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/01/11 at 11:10 AM.
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec