Defender What would you do with this?

Default What would you do with this?

1997 Defender 110 TDi County Station Wagon. 238k km. Runs and sounds fine, but feels a bit weak going uphill, possibly a compression issue? Air-con not working and it gets quite hot under the passenger seat.

Would it be worth restoring or converting to an overlander and would you be able recoup your investment if you then sold it? What would you do and what are the figures one would be looking at? It's a family vehicle with lots of sentimental value, but it's just not being used and it feels like this legend is going to waste.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the car also has a roof rack and tent (not fitted)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3861.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	552217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3864.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	378.2 KB 
ID:	552218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3866.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	332.8 KB 
ID:	552219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3867.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	552220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3868.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	552221   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3869.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	552222   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3871.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	552223   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3874.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	340.3 KB 
ID:	552224  

Last edited by kari; 2019/12/30 at 11:28 AM.

Default Re: What would you do with this?

IMHO you will never make a profit. Either buy a vehicle for keeps, do it up to your comfort level or restore and sell straight away.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    IMHO you will never make a profit. Either buy a vehicle for keeps, do it up to your comfort level or restore and sell straight away.
    Forgot to say we already own this vehicle. Just don't want to make a net loss on it by restoring it.

It's a running Defender Tdi, which means it can be repaired/reconditioned mechanically without breaking the bank. It will always be a desirable vehicle so even as is you'll probably get R100k+. If you restore it fully and kit it out the costs and time constraints will be sky high. Since you won't be restoring it for yourself, rather sell as is and let the next owner accessorize it as he/she pleases.
    Last edited by Jens78; 2019/12/30 at 11:58 AM.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

The outcry following the realease of the new-not-real-defender, it seems demand is very high for these old true/real defenders. So you should have no issue selling it for whatever you want.
    - Commander Hemi
    - Metalian Genie

Quote Originally Posted by Adriaan29 View Post
    The outcry following the realease of the new-not-real-defender, it seems demand is very high for these old true/real defenders. So you should have no issue selling it for whatever you want.
    Did I miss something?

What “outcry” with the new Defender.

As far as I could gather from this forum is that most of us Defender owners would give a nut (or even two) to own the New Defender.

Yes, of course you will always get those one or two anoraks...but an “outcry”...not really.

PS...to the OP, sell it as is unless you ate serious fan and want to spend what ever it takes to get it perfect.
    Last edited by Regard; 2019/12/30 at 02:18 PM.

@kari

Keep it: spend some money on the engine, and build it into an overlander over time.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Point is, you owe nothing in instalments so my logic suggests,
    Many have said I should flog my 3x Discos and buy something newer/better/more reliable/more comfortable etc, etc, etc.....
    I own 3 vehicles. Not drive them and owe the bank. They are mine, paid for and I can never see why I should get rid of them to owe money to the bank again. I rather use the money I save on keeping them running and mod as I go along. I don't know if there are something else that will make me happy as I am with my girls. Pic is what my family deem as my happy place, behind the wheel of one of my paid Discos.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Henk
    So understand
    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
    Face up, make your stand
    And realize you're living in the golden years

Hi there

I assume you have owned the car since new? As in first and only owners?

I would keep it.

Being a TDI it is bullet proof if looked after and cared for. This is actually true of all Defenders and is also applicable to the car in its entirety.

Does it stand parked outside like that? The reason I am asking is that this often takes its toll on vehicles. Landys suffer the most because folks have the tough and rugged perception of these vehicles and this often is justification for neglect. Neglect and abuse are the destroyers of Landys and in most cases the reason for the unreliability reputation.

Yes they are rugged and tough IN THEIR APPLICATION AND ABILITY. But leaving any vehicle outside in the elements for a prolonged period will take its toll.

I note the pics of the car outside. If it stands outside come rain and shine it will eventually fall apart. This should be remedied regardless if you are keeping it or selling it. I was once told that cars and houses need people to keep them going. If you park a mint car under a tree just for 3 months it will start to deteriorate. Obviously some are better than others in taking this abuse. Same thing with houses. Leave a house unoccupied for 3 months and see how it crumbles. Ask any Estate agent.

Take it for a proper valet. Touch up the bonnet paint, redo the aircon (always worth it nevermind the cost), maybe go gunmetal grey on the roof (gloss black or white could also work). Have the engine checked out of needs be but beware, all TDIs lose power on hills. Complete new suspension with fitment will also do wonders. New tyres and you are ready for anything. This could easily be done on a budget of 50k.

If you go this route someone in your family and perhaps a generation or two younger will thank you for it (you said it has sentimental value) and keep it alive for future generations.

Just make sure you either drive it often or park it in a garage out of the elements.
    1998 Defender 110 Tdi 300
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

I would like that as a daily drive , sell one of my P38's, and keep the other one as a holiday/ tourer
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

Yes, the car has been with us since new. It stands outside, and has done so for its entire life. The interior has been stripped as it was 'gaar' and my dad was looking at DIY redoing the interior but realistically he will never get to it and he's got two left hands when it comes to things like that.

It's my dad's car and both he and my mom have other cars as daily drivers. (Ranger DC 2x4 and 1.5l Avanza). He wants something that is 4x4 that he can use to launch a boat. He drives about 60km a day of which 20 is on a bad dirt road. My mom just needs something reliable that can also handle the dirt road to do shopping with twice a week and to the city 2 hours away every couple of weeks. I want to advise them to sell all the cars which should net R400 to 450k and replace with two cars that will do the job of all 3 at lower cost and that will last longer. The Avanza is a really horrible car to drive, too large and also at risk of hijacking I reckon as it's very popular as a taxi.

Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    Yes, the car has been with us since new. It stands outside, and has done so for its entire life. The interior has been stripped as it was 'gaar' and my dad was looking at DIY redoing the interior but realistically he will never get to it and he's got two left hands when it comes to things like that.

It's my dad's car and both he and my mom have other cars as daily drivers. (Ranger DC 2x4 and 1.5l Avanza). He wants something that is 4x4 that he can use to launch a boat. He drives about 60km a day of which 20 is on a bad dirt road. My mom just needs something reliable that can also handle the dirt road to do shopping with twice a week and to the city 2 hours away every couple of weeks. I want to advise them to sell all the cars which should net R400 to 450k and replace with two cars that will do the job of all 3 at lower cost and that will last longer. The Avanza is a really horrible car to drive, too large and also at risk of hijacking I reckon as it's very popular as a taxi.
    But - why not use the Landy to launch the boat, surely it would suffice for that odd Saturday/Sunday outing?
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Sell the Ranger and the Avanza and spend some money on the Landy to make it nice inside and comfortable.
    Let them drive that to town and launching the boat, it's a no brainier.

Does the other two vehicles also stand out side?

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Sorry I was travelling for a few days....

Sell the other two cars and keep the Defender for launching the boat. It's made for that sort of thing.

This is what could be done if you spend either Rands or Elbow Grease:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180401-201629.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	552536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180401-201636.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	552537
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

And this is mine before, during and after the restore:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1998-Land-Rover-Defender-110-Tdi-D-300-2.5-4x4-man-2147483699-4041069_1.jpeg 
Views:	125 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	552538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180517_130709.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	552539Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180826_201951.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	552540Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180707_080918.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	552541
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

It depends on your lifestyle. If you overland and camp and all that, the Defender can be restored. The engine is running, so it's probably not difficult to get that sorted. If you like the DIY, then restoring this will be fun, and you can end up with something fantastic.

In my experience, the way to do this is to get the money to do it first (yes, some of us don't have a lot of it, and we have to save). Once you have the capital, it's much easier because you don't have to try to keep costs to a minimum. Make good choices with what you do. You could convert the back into a living space, for example. Nice suspension, wheels, and tyres makes a big difference. Maybe you'll want to attach a gas-cooking set to the roof rack, or a solar power system. These are things you can customize to your needs when doing a restore.

For me, I look at it with my mouth watering - I love to do projects like this, however, I do have a family I need to spend time with, so I don't have the time, and the wife acceptance factor would be very low. You have your constraints and life style. All I can say is that you have a fantastic platform to build on if you do do a restore.

To be honest, it sounds like neither you, nor your dad are keen on a DIY project, in this case, I would recommend flogging it as is and be done with it.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 4.2td

What would the cost of replacement be, with another vehicle of the same capability and with the same purpose in mind?

Use that as your guide.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Keep it if you going to use it. The heat under the passenger seat for example can be fixed in 2 minutes......just push the loose rubber grommet back into place.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma