Pros and Cons on new SUV - Need your input - Page 3





Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 65
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Harties
    Age
    34
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: Pros and Cons on new SUV - Need your input

    Hi all,

    The wife drove the Cx-5 and the X trail and prefers the Nissan. the 2.5 is not bad and I really enjoyed the drive.

    what I noticed on the x trail we are looking to purchase was the paintwork seemed to be different from the body and the inside of the doors. the vehicle is a pearl white , which looks kind of like an off-white but on the inside of the doors it is a normal white and you can clearly see the difference, I was advised by the dealer that this is normal and "not alot of effort" goes into the inside of the doors and engine area etc.

    can someone who has an Xtrail or knows more about this please confirm if that is true ?, could the vehicle have being in an accident ?

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Harties
    Age
    34
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: Pros and Cons on new SUV - Need your input

    One final thing, the vehicle was a rental from hertz car rentals, should that be a concern as it would have been passed a large number of different drivers and potentially taken alot of wear/tear or am I being paranoid ?

  3. #43

    Default Re: Pros and Cons on new SUV - Need your input

    Quote Originally Posted by Junz View Post
    what I noticed on the x trail we are looking to purchase was the paintwork seemed to be different from the body and the inside of the doors. the vehicle is a pearl white , which looks kind of like an off-white but on the inside of the doors it is a normal white and you can clearly see the difference, I was advised by the dealer that this is normal and "not alot of effort" goes into the inside of the doors and engine area etc.
    Mine was also that pearl type white and the paint was uniform throughout, there was no visible colour change like you have mentioned. Go and take a look at a similar model at your closest Nissan dealer to verify.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Pros and Cons on new SUV - Need your input

    Quote Originally Posted by Junz View Post
    Hi all,

    Wishing you all the best for the new year and many happy miles.

    I decided that its time to sell my opel utility and get something bigger and newer, however I travel an 80km round trip to work and back. so im looking a reliable vehicle,something not to heavy on fuel and easy on the pocket - affordability wise.

    Some context - I have a 2014 BMW F30 that is paid up(resale 200k worst case) and has about 105K on ODO and the corsa 2010 with 205k on ODO.(resale -60K,last offer I received)
    Im considering a larger vehicle to replace my utility as I need the space for a family of 4. I somehow made it work with my 1st child, no such luck with 2 kids now. we also go camping (about 4x a year) and the bin of the utility worked perfectly.

    The BMW is mostly used by my wife as the run around car, although it fits the family
    we cannot go camping or even a day out in the bush

    Do I:
    1. Sell the BMW and replace with a SUV and sell the utility and replace with small fuel efficient sedan ?
    2. Sell utility for a SUV that I can use as the daily runner and keep the BMW ?

    lastly and I know each person has their preference on brands, but can you point me in the right direction on what SUV/double cab would be a good option , I was thinking amarok,Rav4, ranger. my budget is R250k plus the sale from the old vehicle



    Regards

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Heliport
    Age
    50
    Posts
    273

    Default Re: Pros and Cons on new SUV - Need your input

    Quote Originally Posted by Junz View Post
    Hi all,

    The wife drove the Cx-5 and the X trail and prefers the Nissan. the 2.5 is not bad and I really enjoyed the drive.

    what I noticed on the x trail we are looking to purchase was the paintwork seemed to be different from the body and the inside of the doors. the vehicle is a pearl white , which looks kind of like an off-white but on the inside of the doors it is a normal white and you can clearly see the difference, I was advised by the dealer that this is normal and "not alot of effort" goes into the inside of the doors and engine area etc.

    can someone who has an Xtrail or knows more about this please confirm if that is true ?, could the vehicle have being in an accident ?
    The change in colour may be because of a lot of dirt road driving , on the farm all our white cars do this after a couple of years
    Using Tapatalk

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: Pros and Cons on new SUV - Need your input

    Quote Originally Posted by Junz View Post
    One final thing, the vehicle was a rental from hertz car rentals, should that be a concern as it would have been passed a large number of different drivers and potentially taken alot of wear/tear or am I being paranoid ?
    I owned a little Hyundai a few years ago that I suspect was a rental. That was never disclosed to me at the time of purchase and I should have asked.. Long story short the vehicle had been abused. It was 2 years old but it may as well have been 10. I will never buy ex-rentals again. However, if the price is right why not. The main problem with rentals is gearbox and suspensions. Xtrails are often used by tourists on harsh gravel roads, check the shocks for leaks. Make sure the bushings are good. Look out for a worn clutch. Check the air filter. If it's gunked with dust walk away.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    35
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Pros and Cons on new SUV - Need your input

    Quote Originally Posted by Junz View Post
    One final thing, the vehicle was a rental from hertz car rentals, should that be a concern as it would have been passed a large number of different drivers and potentially taken alot of wear/tear or am I being paranoid ?

    A few years ago on a motorcycle trip through the Transkei we found an Avis rental car waaaay down an embankment after obviously being taken offroad....there were skid marks everywhere and it was abandoned after what I can only assume hours of spinning and revving. Personally I would check, and avoid ex-rentals if possible.

    Seeing as you’re looking at Nissans...have you taken a Pathfinder for a test? Very practical and comfortable, the diesel is frugal, and oodles of space for the family. I bought a low mileage one in your price range...but now my wife has stolen it

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    42
    Posts
    703

    Default Re: Pros and Cons on new SUV - Need your input

    Why would you want to buy an old vehicle with 100k km plus? It would be madness!

    At 300k price you can buy a basically new Ford Ranger xl double cab. With full warranty and service plan. You will even be able to find a 4x4 one that is maybe 2-3 years old with 40 000km or less on the clock!

    And if you look around some even has canopy’s on them already.

    The 2.2 duratorq is a very good motor and is good on fuel. You should get around 9.5km/l in town and between 10 - 11km/l on the highway.
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    42
    Posts
    703

    Default Re: Pros and Cons on new SUV - Need your input

    2018 Ford Ranger 2.2TDCi XL Double Cab Bakkie
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...toria/5552874/


    2016 Ford Ranger 2.2TDCi XL 4X4 Double Cab Bakkie
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...eorge/5597441/
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    42
    Posts
    703

    Default Re: Pros and Cons on new SUV - Need your input

    2018 Ford Ranger 2.2TDCi XL Double Cab Bakkie
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...toria/5552874/


    2016 Ford Ranger 2.2TDCi XL 4X4 Double Cab Bakkie
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...eorge/5597441/


    2019 Ford Ranger 2.2TDCi Double Cab Bakkie
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...rtson/5409071/
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Harties
    Age
    34
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: Pros and Cons on new SUV - Need your input

    Thank you all so much

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    33
    Posts
    439

    Default Re: Pros and Cons on new SUV - Need your input

    I am basically in the same boat. Swambo needs more space for her and the 2 kids' luggage.

    Looking at replacing the Kuga for a Everest, Fortuner or Pajero. Have mostly limited it to those ones.

    SWAMBO not so keen on the Pajero but I think I can still work her over.

    Following the thread.
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

  13. #53
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    55
    Posts
    4,314

    Default Re: Pros and Cons on new SUV - Need your input

    Paint work is not my area of expertise and I know certain colours have more challenges than others, however, I would guess that modern automakers have nailed it to a large degree and if panels dont match, walk away from the vehicle and dealer.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

    2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

    FJ: One day when I am big

    Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Harties
    Age
    34
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: Pros and Cons on new SUV - Need your input

    I found an Everest 3.2XLTor 389k and my heart wants that but my head tells me that the xtrail is a more practical option for us and 80k cheaper. However I have advised the dealer my budget and he is trying to work a deal on the Everest. If not, il take it as a sign that I should settle with the XTrail.

    Everest 2018 3.2 XLT 56k odo R389k
    Everest 2017 LTD 3.250k odoR399k

    Xtrail 2.5cvt 2019 32k odo R309k

  15. #55

    Default Re: Pros and Cons on new SUV - Need your input

    Quote Originally Posted by Junz View Post
    Everest 2018 3.2 XLT 56k odo R389k
    Everest 2017 LTD 3.250k odoR399k

    Xtrail 2.5cvt 2019 32k odo R309k
    In that price bracket you can surely look at vehicles like the Fortuner, Pajero and even bakkies such as the Ranger as mentioned above. They will be far more capable that a softroader like the X-Trail or similar SUV.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Harties
    Age
    34
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: Pros and Cons on new SUV - Need your input

    Honestly, I'm battling to find something in that price range, help asb...is it just me or have the cost of vehicles sky rocketed

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: Pros and Cons on new SUV - Need your input

    Quote Originally Posted by Junz View Post
    Honestly, I'm battling to find something in that price range, help asb...is it just me or have the cost of vehicles sky rocketed
    I am biased, and I will likely continue to mention this but:

    Mahindra makes good reliable vehicles. You get a service plan and a warranty for the money you are prepared to spend. If you want comfort have a look at a XUV300 OR 500. The XUV500 is very spacious and sits 7. Unfortunately if you want 4wd you will need to look at the Scorpio and spend a little more money. The Scorpio is a nice car but it's utalitarian. The mHawk is a gem of a powerplant.

    I honestly think they need to be considered, especially now that they are still well priced. They will definitely go the way of Hyunday soon, and gain more status and confidence from consumers. Which means higher prices.

    If anything take them for a test drive?

  18. #58
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    55
    Posts
    4,314

    Default Re: Pros and Cons on new SUV - Need your input

    Quote Originally Posted by Schambies View Post
    I am biased, and I will likely continue to mention this but:

    Mahindra makes good reliable vehicles. You get a service plan and a warranty for the money you are prepared to spend. If you want comfort have a look at a XUV300 OR 500. The XUV500 is very spacious and sits 7. Unfortunately if you want 4wd you will need to look at the Scorpio and spend a little more money. The Scorpio is a nice car but it's utalitarian. The mHawk is a gem of a powerplant.

    I honestly think they need to be considered, especially now that they are still well priced. They will definitely go the way of Hyunday soon, and gain more status and confidence from consumers. Which means higher prices.

    If anything take them for a test drive?
    Definately worth a look
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

    2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

    FJ: One day when I am big

    Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    36
    Posts
    467

    Default Re: Pros and Cons on new SUV - Need your input

    I have a 2015 2.5 CVT X-Trail. It was an impulse buy as the price was good and my Land Rover was annoying me. The car has really grown on me. The 2.5 motor is quite powerful. It takes a while to get used to the CVT, but once you do, it makes complete sense. Very spacious inside, full size spare wheel, good safety features (the active braking function around bends is very cool, albeit freaky at times). Mine has the surround cameras, nav, lane departure and blind spot assist options. It also has a nifty boot floor thing that can be moved around to create a split level (works well as a table in the boot).

    For the price, there isn't much out there to compete and the ride is waaaay better than any of the bakkie based suv's (which I looked at as well). You could get the 2.5 RAV 4, but with much higher mileage and probably no warranty.

    We also looked at a brand new Tekna...for the price, the car has no xenons, heated seats or pdc, has an outdated radio display and lacks a few other bits...so I would not suggest that one...but if you get the normal 2.5 at a good price, then you won't mind it not having those features.

    I've used the 4x4 function on dirt roads and it works as expected. They also come with a long warranty, so that helps.

    The 2.5 engine and CVT gearbox have been around for a while, so they pretty much bullet proof.

    Only issue I had was squeaking brakes (seems to be a common issue). My neighbor fitted aftermarket brake pads and that fixed it.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    42
    Posts
    703

    Default Pros and Cons on new SUV - Need your input

    Quote Originally Posted by Junz View Post
    Honestly, I'm battling to find something in that price range, help asb...is it just me or have the cost of vehicles sky rocketed
    If you are shopping in the range up to about R400k you can get a almost new Everest 2.2 xls, if you are not worried about 4x4 its a very sensible choice. I know the 3.2’s are nice but the 2.2’s offer great value. I bought mine after owning a couple of double cabs and it is a great family car. We have also owned a Tiguan, RAV and Jeep Cherokee. Although these kind if crossovers are (slightly) nicer to drive, they cannot compare space wize!
    Last edited by Hooly; 2020/01/15 at 02:41 PM.
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •