Vaccination and Medication for Overland trip Zim, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia

Default Vaccination and Medication for Overland trip Zim, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia

Hi

We doing an overland trip for a month through the above countries In July 2020 any vaccination and medication that I need to take before going on this trip.

Default Re: Vaccination and Medication for Overland trip Zim, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia

I’d suggest chatting to a travel clinic for up to date info

Default Re: Vaccination and Medication for Overland trip Zim, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia

A place like Klinicare will be your safest and most up to date option to ask. Also try to get the vaccinations well in advance. Some people get a bit sick after the vaccination and some vaccines need multiple treatments, a few days apart. A handy one to also get is rabies. It’s not compulsory, but you’ll be very glad you have it if something happens in the middle of Africa.

24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Malaria prophylaxis is essential. Other than that, consult a travel clinic/doctor, who will probably advise that it is preferable to ensure that your tetanus, rabies, typhoid, hep A etc are up to date. Yellow fever is dependent on whether or not you are coming from or travelling through a currently affected area. Some countries insist on cholera - check the latest.
    We carry a basic medical kit with the necessary first aid essentials, plus a couple of antibiotics as advised by our doctor for soft skin infections, chest infections, tooth abscesses (same as soft skin, as far as I know), and gut bugs like giardia. Make sure you have a letter or prescription from your doctor for all meds that are scheduled, like antibiotics.
    Again, essential to get qualified medical advice - and don't listen to any of the nonsense about not taking malaria meds - they are essential.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2020/01/08 at 06:32 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Tony has hit the nail on the head.

Don't use my info:

Having travelled through the above countries in the last couple of months I did not take anything or any inoculations. And was not asked for any certificates.

On the bright side I did get a dose of malaria just before I came down again. Coartem sorted that one out.
    Malaria dose number 23 I think over the last three decades.

I think I must point out that spoofcat lives in a malaria area. Traveling as a holiday maker to a malaria area is a totally different matter and as a medically qualified person I endorse Tony's advice totally.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    I think I must point out that spoofcat lives in a malaria area. Traveling as a holiday maker to a malaria area is a totally different matter and as a medically qualified person I endorse Tony's advice totally.
    Thanks for all the feedback guys appreciated

Hi,
    In my spare time I'm also a Paediatrician, so not quite a travel doctor but I'll give it a go.
    You can consult the CDC's website on the different countries you'll be visiting. They have great vaccine recommendations, see the link for Zambia attached. https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destina...er/none/zambia
    At the moment there's a measles outbreak in the DRC, so depending on your plan you might want to make sure your measles shots are up to date. Some Southern African countries have also issued a Polio warning like Mozambique and Zambia, so making sure you are immune would be good.
    Then the normal stuff like Yellow Fever, Typhoid and Hep A. Even though they might not check your yellow card at the border I'm sure you wouldn't want to spend your trip in some random government facility in the bush.
    Going to a travel clinic is really worth it even though it might be pricey.
    Malaria prophylaxis is essential. There are basically two options in addition to the normal Tabard, mozzie net etc precautions. Your travel clinic will advise you on the pro's and con's of both. There's Doxycycline and Atovaquone-Proguanil (Malanil, Mozitec etc). Big difference in price, so the length of your trip might influence your choice.
    I agree with Tony on asking your travel doctor/ GP for a script for some broad spectrum antibiotics, the links posted by ortelius in the thread are also great.

All the best with your trip

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleRdW View Post
    Hi,
    In my spare time I'm also a Paediatrician, so not quite a travel doctor but I'll give it a go.
    You can consult the CDC's website on the different countries you'll be visiting. They have great vaccine recommendations, see the link for Zambia attached. https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destina...er/none/zambia
    At the moment there's a measles outbreak in the DRC, so depending on your plan you might want to make sure your measles shots are up to date. Some Southern African countries have also issued a Polio warning like Mozambique and Zambia, so making sure you are immune would be good.
    Then the normal stuff like Yellow Fever, Typhoid and Hep A. Even though they might not check your yellow card at the border I'm sure you wouldn't want to spend your trip in some random government facility in the bush.
    Going to a travel clinic is really worth it even though it might be pricey.
    Malaria prophylaxis is essential. There are basically two options in addition to the normal Tabard, mozzie net etc precautions. Your travel clinic will advise you on the pro's and con's of both. There's Doxycycline and Atovaquone-Proguanil (Malanil, Mozitec etc). Big difference in price, so the length of your trip might influence your choice.
    I agree with Tony on asking your travel doctor/ GP for a script for some broad spectrum antibiotics, the links posted by ortelius in the thread are also great.

All the best with your trip

Thankyou very much