Sani, easy or not? Also cordinates please? - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Sani, easy or not? Also cordinates please?

Quote Originally Posted by CornellMans View Post
    Bucket list item, but for now I'll watch you guys do it.
    Go and do it before it is tarred.

Always enjoy these Sani pass threads. What would you say is the 'safest' season/month to do the drive since I read stories of 10 different seasons in a day? And stories of platkarre regularly going up and down.
    Last time I was there was somewhere around 1988 with my parents. My dad drove us up and down there during December is his almost brand new 1983 brown Opel kadett 1.8 GTE. For those In the know, were the roads much easier or difficult back then?
    I'm thinking that if he could do it back then, then I should be able to with a modern vehicle with more power, traction, technology etc.
    I don't remember much but I do know it was a very rainy night with lots of lightning.
    Last edited by Nabs; 2020/02/06 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    Always enjoy these Sani pass threads. What would you say is the 'safest' season/month to do the drive since I read stories of 10 different seasons in a day? And stories of platkarre regularly going up and down.
    Last time I was there was somewhere around 1988 with my parents. My dad drove us up and down there during December is his almost brand new 1983 brown Opel kadett 1.8 GTE. For those In the know, were the roads much easier or difficult back then?
    I'm thinking that if he could do it back then, then I should be able to with a modern vehicle with more power, traction, technology etc.
    I don't remember much but I do know it was a very rainy night with lots of lightning.
    Anybody?

Anybody?
    If it rains you could find yourself in a heap of trouble. But Iíve been up there Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb. Once
    In a plat kar.

Our next trip is confirmed for 3 April with our annual Easter migration.

Looking forward to it. Apparently quite a challenge right now.

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

Anybody?
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...71-Sani-Update

We went up & down in January just after they had the heavy rains mentioned here and it was an experience we will not forget easily. No platkar would have made it then. Not even the Lesotho taxis were brave enough to attempt it. I can only credit the vehicle for us making it up and down safely.

Totally different story when we went up in 2018. Considering that I had no previous 4x4 / off-road driving experience, I was actually disappointed when we reached the top as easily as we did after all the anticipation of driving Sani Pass. I blamed it on the vehicle back then.

I don't know which would be a safer season / month to drive Sani Pass. I also don't know what the roads were like back then compared to today. I do know that it is against the law to drive Sani Pass without a 4x4 without prior approval from the administrator. I also do know that I will not attempt it without a high clearance 4x4 vehicle in its current state even if it was allowed - irrespective of what sophisticated technology your vehicle is equipped with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0016.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	557839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200117_071949.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	666.0 KB 
ID:	557840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200117_080312.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	557841  

Thanks guys. Suppose I'll have to just choose a date and go. Hopefully it's not too bad or I'll just have to turn around.

Subscribing to this thread.

Planning this in May or June with a Suzuki Grand Vitara. Hopefully that will suffice.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5