Sani, easy or not? Also cordinates please?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Sani, easy or not? Also cordinates please?

Hello all, ive read and seen quite some conflicting info between 2012 and now, in 2012 i see posts like "you need a proper 4x4 or atleast good AWD to go up sani pass

But then i hear people say you can go up with a "platkar" and i see videos on youtube of people go up with a FWD Qashqai

So did they improve it over the last few years?

Also i plan on going on tuesday but gps seems confused and keeps giving me the lodge where i want to know where the start of the pass is as i want to figure out how early i have to leave to get there. Currently im in clarens on a roadtrip.

Thanks in advance for any response, appreciate it greatly.

Default Re: Sani, easy or not? Also cordinates please?

Quote Originally Posted by XC90 View Post
    Hello all, ive read and seen quite some conflicting info between 2012 and now, in 2012 i see posts like "you need a proper 4x4 or atleast good AWD to go up sani pass

But then i hear people say you can go up with a "platkar" and i see videos on youtube of people go up with a FWD Qashqai

So did they improve it over the last few years?

Also i plan on going on tuesday but gps seems confused and keeps giving me the lodge where i want to know where the start of the pass is as i want to figure out how early i have to leave to get there. Currently im in clarens on a roadtrip.

Thanks in advance for any response, appreciate it greatly.

AWD is probably good - I've seen some RWD bakkies struggle a bit on some of the steeper sharp turns. If you were on it in winter in ice, it would be...exciting...

Stop at the Sani Lodge at the top (right just after the border post...you need R 40 there - good place for a beer. I don't have the coordinates - but it's well marked once you get close.

Have fun!

We went thru there once after a lot of rain - was pretty muddy down at the bottom - that was actually trickier than the pass. They are doing construction down there. This is before the SA border post.

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    AWD is probably good - I've seen some RWD bakkies struggle a bit on some of the steeper sharp turns. If you were on it in winter in ice, it would be...exciting...

Stop at the Sani Lodge at the top (right just after the border post...you need R 40 there - good place for a beer. I don't have the coordinates - but it's well marked once you get close.

Have fun!

We went thru there once after a lot of rain - was pretty muddy down at the bottom - that was actually trickier than the pass. They are doing construction down there. This is before the SA border post.
    Ahahaha i like your description for ice, interesting....

Thanks man i appreciate the feedback i was planning to hit that highest pub up there yes, do you by any chance perhaps have coordinates of the start and finish for me? Sorry ive never been there before so a bit confused about the pass and how it works

You cant get lost so stop stressing .
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

Hi

You not clear on your ask. Are you planning to go back to KZN via Lesotho and down Sani, or are you just planning to go up and down from Himeville?

I've done the Sani Pass this December. Mostly used 1st and 2nd low range with my 4x4 Fortuner. There are quite bad spots where you have to go slow over the Rocky sections. Without low range you would use your clutch quite a lot.

It is a beautiful drive though.

Just be aware of those Lesotho taxi's though. They drive like maniacs up and down the pass. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191221_092450.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	553001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191221_121635.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	553002Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200105-WA0017.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	553003Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200105-WA0010.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	553004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200105-WA0011.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	553005Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200105-WA0001.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	553006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200105-WA0000.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	553007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200105-WA0008.jpeg 
Views:	181 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	553008

As with most of Lesotho Sani is dependent on weather conditions. I had 4 different surface conditions in one day (up and down twice in one day).

Coming down Low Range can be handy. I have always been in 4 High going up.

If you are coming from Clarens side then its tar all the way to the pass. If you are coming from the Himville side its tar at the bottom.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

My apologies on not being clear on what i want to do.

The plan is to drive and enter from himeville side as i want to start with the ascent, have my beer and lunch at the pub and them come back down again into himeville and back to clarens. Basically a full day trip. The thing is i dont know where exactly the start lies on the himeville side so that i can calculate how far it is and the time it would take to get there.

Another option is if it takes too long then ill rather leave early on wednesday do the pass thing and on my way down head to margate as that is my next stop after clarens.

Also thanks so much im overwhelmed by the amount of responses for something as simple as this, really appreciate it
    Last edited by XC90; 2020/01/05 at 09:06 PM.

It took us about 3 hours from Underberg to the top and then 3 hours down again. We took it easy as well. Stopped a few times for photos.
    My apologies on not being clear on what i want to do.

The plan is to drive and enter from himeville side as i want to start with the ascent, have my beer and lunch at the pub and them come back down again into himeville and back to clarens. Basically a full day trip. The thing is i dont know where exactly the start lies on the himeville side so that i can calculate how far it is and the time it would take to get there.

Another option is if it takes too long then ill rather leave early on wednesday do the pass thing and on my way down head to margate as that is my next stop after clarens.

Also thanks so much im overwhelmed by the amount of responses for something as simple as this, really appreciate it
    Last edited by cornel1610; 2020/01/05 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cornel1610 View Post
    It took us about 3 hours from Underberg to the top and then 3 hours down again. We took it easy as well. Stopped a few times for photos.
    Yep, that's about where we were too.

You may know this - but the "pass" is really between SA and Lesotho. Coming northwest up Sani Pass Road it mostly flat, mostly paved (maybe fully now). You then stop at the SA border post, quite an informal affair, and drive up the pass to the very top. It gets gradually steeper nearer the top as you might imagine. Lots of switchbacks. There are some rocks in the road - it's not fast going - but it's not treacherous or anything (it would be if it was frozen, as I mentioned - or if you got hail. I was there about six months ago, and there was a destroyed Land Cruiser - had rolled on the paved (and flat!) road up at the top.

Anyway, when you get to the top, you clear Lesotho customs - also very informal. There are plenty of turnouts and places to stop.

Parts have no cell phone signal. Don't have coordinates but if you google "Sani Pass Border Control (Lesotho) in Google Maps, you will see the Lesotho border checkpoint. The pass runs from there downhill, to the Southeast towards Himeville.

Leaving Himville, its northeast initially, on "Sani Road" and a left, to head Northeast on Sani Pass Road.

Sani pass border control South Africa. Search from that in google maps. Much too long to come from Clarens go up for lunch and drove back again

Quote Originally Posted by joeboy69 View Post
    Sani pass border control South Africa. Search from that in google maps. Much too long to come from Clarens go up for lunch and drove back again

Quote Originally Posted by joeboy69 View Post

Is that showing a duck crossing

Holy smokes, never realised how long it takes just to get there, think ill rather save my sani urges for another holiday when i go to drakensberg or something. Even if i go there on my way to margate it will take way too much time.

Holy smokes, never realised how long it takes just to get there, think ill rather save my sani urges for another holiday when i go to drakensberg or something. Even if i go there on my way to margate it will take way too much time.

itís worth doing sometime. Stay at Lotheni.

Quote Originally Posted by estee View Post
    as with most of lesotho sani is dependent on weather conditions. I had 4 different surface conditions in one day (up and down twice in one day).

Coming down low range can be handy. i have always been in 4 high going up.

if you are coming from clarens side then its tar all the way to the pass. If you are coming from the himville side its tar at the bottom.
    YIKES!!! Lol....
    Last edited by EttiennedK; 2020/01/06 at 06:09 AM.
    ENJOY!!!
    Ettienne

196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    1980 Range Rover
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    2004 Disco Td5

Quote Originally Posted by EttiennedK View Post
    YIKES!!! Lol....
    Range Rover P38

Low range going up had too much torque and traction control kicked in way too much. Leaving it in H was more than adequate

Oh, and normal road tyre pressures

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

Quote Originally Posted by cornel1610 View Post

Coming off the N3 at Nottingham Road and taking the Lowerer Lotheni route to Himmeville will knock 2 hours off that at least.

Clarens - Buthe Butha (Lesotho) - Oxbow Lodge - Sani Top

This route could be the quickest. It is tar the whole way to Sani Top

Then down the pass and on to Margate

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    Is that showing a duck crossing
    Man carrying a fridge over road. Perhaps a Game nearby ?
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast