Sani, easy or not? Also cordinates please? - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Sani, easy or not? Also cordinates please?

Quote Originally Posted by XC90 View Post
    We did option A, off at mooi rivier and then on to nottingham road and lower lotheni, was that the wrong one? Sorry im terrible with directions
    No problem. I havent tried it and I am sure it would be a scenic route but adding time. The quickest would have been N3 - Nottingham Road but hey, you got there, did it and had the time to do it which was one of your concerns so mission accomplished
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

This reminded me, how in the world do those taxis make it up there? Are they perhaps special order with the hilux 4x4 system in or something? Or do they just use momentum haha
    Most of the taxis that use the pass are indeed 4 wheel drive. There are many Japanese imports that come standard with 4wd and these are the ones they use.
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

This reminded me, how in the world do those taxis make it up there? Are they perhaps special order with the hilux 4x4 system in or something? Or do they just use momentum haha
    They are 4x4 Taxis mostly

They say the best vehicle to do Sani in is a ............................................

Rental car

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

XC90

Did you go back to Clarens, or did you carry on to Margate?

We are currently near Amanzimtoti and I am looking for the best road to Sani Pass. Staying over @ Mkomazana Mountain Cottage Thursday night before tackling Sani on Friday morning.

Google maps is suggesting we travel via R612 ( Ixopo, Bulwer, Underberg and Himeville - 223km & 3 hours ) but I do not know the road and am not sure about the condition of the road.
    https://www.google.co.za/maps/dir/Pr...29.6315915!3e0

Will it not be better to go via the Nottingham Road? This will add about an hour to the travel time, but it is highway to the Nottingham turn off and we can have a nice breakfast / brunch @ The Windmill Country Shop.

Apologies for the links, but I am struggling to paste the screen-shots of the suggested routes.

Any advice will be appreciated please.

Pieter

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter C View Post
    XC90

Did you go back to Clarens, or did you carry on to Margate

Pieter
    Hi, we went straight to margate but my route was a bit different to yours so im not sure how your route looks, this was my route

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200113-065157_Maps.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	554040

XC90

Did you go back to Clarens, or did you carry on to Margate?

We are currently near Amanzimtoti and I am looking for the best road to Sani Pass. Staying over @ Mkomazana Mountain Cottage Thursday night before tackling Sani on Friday morning.

Google maps is suggesting we travel via R612 ( Ixopo, Bulwer, Underberg and Himeville - 223km & 3 hours ) but I do not know the road and am not sure about the condition of the road.

Will it not be better to go via the Nottingham Road? This will add about an hour to the travel time, but it is highway to the Nottingham turn off and we can have a nice breakfast / brunch @ The Windmill Country Shop.

Apologies for the links, but I am struggling to paste the screen-shots of the suggested routes.

Any advice will be appreciated please.

Pieter
    Pieter, the last time I did the Ixopo route, it was scenic but a lot of cane type trucks. That will be season dependent of course. It appears to be the shortest route but could be the most timeous, given the nature of the road and possible slow traffic.

An alternative from 'Toti would be to head to Howick on the N3 and then to Bulwer - Underberg - Himmeville route.

The suggested Nottingham Rd route from 'Toti on the N3 might be slightly longer time wise with the extra distance/time from Howick to Notties but the Lower Lotheni Route from Notties to Himmeville I would, personally, prefer.

Some video of the conditions created by a recent storm on Sani, could be fun in an SUV...
    https://www.facebook.com/sanipasstou...1878116111109/

Last edited by pardus; 2020/01/13 at 07:44 AM.
    Ford Ranger XLS 4x4 D/C 2.2 Auto, Mazda CX-5 Akera, 2018 Honda Africa Twin DCT, 2019 Trent (Rear Fold Hard Floor Camper).
    Drone Consultant & Pilot Instructor, ex-Nature Site Guide (VPDA)[NQF6]

Hello all, ive read and seen quite some conflicting info between 2012 and now, in 2012 i see posts like "you need a proper 4x4 or atleast good AWD to go up sani passBut then i hear people say you can go up with a "platkar" and i see videos on youtube of people go up with a FWD QashqaiSo did they improve it over the last few years?Also i plan on going on tuesday but gps seems confused and keeps giving me the lodge where i want to know where the start of the pass is as i want to figure out how early i have to leave to get there. Currently im in clarens on a roadtrip.Thanks in advance for any response, appreciate it greatly.

We went through from clarens via fouriesburg via afriski and oxbow and down sani basically in one day some nice tar roads with a pot-hole here and there. Up it seems easier as ford ecosport passed us going up as we were going down. Down I am really scared and go on compression with the heavy old bakkie, if I touch the brakes its slides and the old bakkie does not like turning to steeply. Just finished a small write up for some places to stop maybe along the way etc...

https://twotracks.co.za/a-return-to-...om-in-the-sky/
    Our Travel and Photography blog- https://twotracks.co.za

The Beast - 2005 Toyota Hilux D/C 4L with freeflow

Daily Drive- Girlfriends Honda Jazz

This is one of the Lesotho taxi's that rolled just the day before we did Sani Pass this December. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191221_150105.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	554095Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191221_150025.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	554096Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191221_150050.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	554097

Clarens to Himeville 5 hrs ? Up Sani pass 2 hrs and down 2 hrs going to be a long day

Last edited by rodbucks; 2020/01/13 at 01:15 PM.

As said, Sani Pass conditions can change rapidly several times a day. From a comfortable green easy drive to black/red dangerous drive in minutes and back to easy drive a few hours later.

I have driven up the pass in thick snow, the first 4x4 up to the top on the day at 12:30 as conditions where bad at the bottom, but it was an easy drive near the top due to the cold and frozen ground. Five 4x4s later nobody could get up as the road had turned to water slippery slush. Getting down was no fun, I slipped and skidded all over the place.

I have driven the pass in all conditions, dozens of times. Is Sani, easy or not? yes and no.

In one day several hours apart, this pass can make the best driver with a fancy 4x4 look like a fool and a novice driver look like a pro, the same day.

My three easiest drives since 1984 have been in terrible conditions:
    1/ going up - heavy thick very cold snow, still snowing heavy 2018; V8 cruiser. Very tough going down.
    2/ going up and down on thick black ice tar like surface (1987); old Isuzu bakkie, with road tyres!!!!
    3/ going down in flood type weather (my daughter first drive on the pass was in this flood in the other 4x4 and it was full of people.) V8 cruiser and Hilux.

I made a safety stop a few years ago as it was snowing so heavy and a massive storm was coming in, I drove to the switchbacks and stopped as I did not think I would get down after the storm. I got up the furthest that day.

My hardest drive has been in the dry, dry, a dry hard surface with small rocks like small marbles - zero traction. tyre pressure would have fixed it, I was clueless back then.

Is Sani, easy or not? yes and no.

D
    on't let anybody fool you it's a walk in the park... every time.
    Last edited by K-9; 2020/01/13 at 01:52 PM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain.
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    SOLD 2020 Jan.
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

I drove up Sani in my LC79 DC a couple of weeks ago, in driving rain. After a few days of heavy rain.
    The mud, partly related I think to the road works on the lower section, was horrendous, and the general condition of the road the worst I have ever seen it.
    On the day we went up there, nothing other than 4x4 Low range would have been adequate. Used diff lock in a couple of sections of pretty extreme mud.
    On the way down found a young german fellow who had dropped his bike, with significant damage unfortunately.

SO I think condition will vary a lot according to weather, but as has been mentioned by others, that road has deteriorated a lot in the last couple of years.

Oh, if you don't like beer and its a very cold, wet and windy day, then the hot chocolate at the pub is very very very good!

D

[QUOTE=XC90;4303594]Hi, we went straight to margate but my route was a bit different to yours so im not sure how your route looks, this was my route

Yes, different routes, but thanx anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by pardus View Post
    Some video of the conditions created by a recent storm on Sani, could be fun in an SUV...

Now I am even more stressed about our trip on Friday. That Pass must be terrible now!
    I also saw that Semonkong was hit by some rain & hail on Monday or Sunday.

Now I am even more stressed about our trip on Friday. That Pass must be terrible now!
    I also saw that Semonkong was hit by some rain & hail on Monday or Sunday.
    Pieter, judge the conditions when you get there and then decide. I have also experienced 4 different conditions in one day to the extent I hardly recognised the pass on each individual run. The worst leg was the final leg with the road being washed over the side leaving just enough width to get my vehicle through before falling down the side. That was bad.

But as I said, make the call when you get there. There are a number of places before the switchbacks where you can turn around if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Pieter, the last time I did the Ixopo route, it was scenic but a lot of cane type trucks. That will be season dependent of course. It appears to be the shortest route but could be the most timeous, given the nature of the road and possible slow traffic.

An alternative from 'Toti would be to head to Howick on the N3 and then to Bulwer - Underberg - Himmeville route.

The suggested Nottingham Rd route from 'Toti on the N3 might be slightly longer time wise with the extra distance/time from Howick to Notties but the Lower Lotheni Route from Notties to Himmeville I would, personally, prefer.
    Yes, Howik - Bulwer - Underberg - Himeville will be shorter in distance, but I didn't feel comfortable on that road in 2018. Too many reckless drivers, pedestrians, free range animals etc on the road. I suspect the Ixopo - Bulwer - Underberg - Himeville might be the same. Maybe worth a try to see what it is like?

Toti - Windmill ( breakfast ) - Notties - Himeville is currently our preferred route.

Bucket list item, but for now I'll watch you guys do it.
    2018 Ford Everest XLT 3.2 4x4 Auto
    2013 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 LTZ 4x4 MT (SOLD)

Photography : https://500px.com/c0rn3llman5

My girlfriend asked me to whisper 4 special words into her ear... so I said : "Ons gaan NOU braai!"

After seeing this photo and reading about the taxi's.. I think we underestimate our vehicle's capabilities.

This is an awesome thread with a lot of info.. Excellent write up by the OP.

This trip is on my bucket list and will be done very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by pardus View Post

After seeing this video my SIL asked if he shouldn't rather swap his mountain bike for a canoe
    I anticipate a few laughs and strong words before the bike ends up in the car on Friday.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast