Gauteng-a-leng GTG - Page 13

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Default Re: Gauteng-a-leng GTG

We’re also back home. It was such a great weekend despite the rain. Thanks all and it was nice to meet you
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2020 Nissan NP300 2.5TDi S/C

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

Thanks everyone especially Dirk and Estee for the great effort. Nice to meet everyone.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

Great meeting those that attended and putting some faces to names. Thanks for a great weekend Sean looking forward to the next.
    Kind regards

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamesV For This Useful Post:

What a wonderful weekend thanks to all

Garrie
    Defender 110 TD5 CSW 18P loving every moment driving it !!!!!
    Suzuki Jimny with custom made rack and drawers view here - Sold
    Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miems For This Useful Post:

Lekker weekend everyone.

And that trail was very nice

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Its you guys that made the GTG what it was. Come hail, rain or shine, nothing could dampen the spirits.

And how beautiful is our country and how fantastic was it to spend some time in its splendour.

When Sneaky Petes awnimg folded over on itself, the dustbins romping through the site like tumbleweed and we got wet under shelter and everyone just carried on afterwards at the slight incomvenience, thats GEES.

Awesome, awesome weekend.

Cheers all
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Back home.

Thanks to everybody who played a part in arranging (excluding those who arranged the rain ).

It was good to meet up with the new faces, and also to see those I have met before, with me being in PE there are many people I only ever get to see at these events!

If you have photos please pm me if you need the link, I have really neglected the galleries for far too long, time to get it going again.

Looking forward to the next one, hopefully with sunny blue skies

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

It was fun to attend a forum event again, even though I hate camping.

Meeting people like Estee for the first time and Bob, Hedgehog or Miems after a few years made me remember the value of such gatherings.

It is easy to be confrontational or dismissive on social media, particularly with people that do not exactly share your political, religious or social views.

But next time Hedgehog posts something that I disagree with I will remember our chat next to the fire and this will certainly modify or moderate my response.

So get to a GTG or breakfast run if you can, it will accentuate your enjoyment of the forum.

And the butchery in Swartruggens sells curried fillet sosaties at R115/kg - they were brilliant.

Thanks for organising Sean and Andrew.

My name is Rainier and I drive a Frotuna.

Why are you always in such a bad mood? Experience...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Just a quick run down on the GTG, phodies will be available shortly.

Thursday the 20th myself, daughter and SIL Nuno arrived at Rametsi after a leisurely trip with two vehicles and a Conqueror Caravan to be met by IncredibleBob and his mate Gerhard (who would play an important role later on) who had already pitched camp. After introductions (as is usually the case, I have been interacting with Bob for over 10 years as past LR fanatics, but never met him, we set up and then settled into a social evening. I opted to use a tent and slept with all the windows open and even considered not using the rain fly as it was a very pleasant and warm night a top of the sleeping bag.

The next morning dawned slowly allowing for the fragrances, sounds and sights of an awakening camp to ready us for the day. We had discussed with Nuno possible routes and potential obstacle gradings and settled on a circular route up to the top of Rondekop, the highest peak on the property, that when viewed from the dam, it looks totally inaccessible. SneakyPete and Elaine arrived and set up camp. After a hearty camp breakfast, Bob's well sorted FJ, my H3 with Pete riding navigator and Nuno and Sian on a quad, headed off to the dam and then Rondekop. We opted to take an anti-clockwise route at a fork in the road and this turned out to be very interesting indeed as it follows and crosses a gulley in a number of places. Nuno and Sian had done this route in December and when we compared phodies and video from then to what we were seeing now, we didnt recognise it at all.

Nuno cut trail on the quad with the H3 and FJ following. I took my Geko boot mat which doubles as a tent door mat and made it triple as a seed net by cable tying it to the bush bar. We soon reached a spot where Gerhard was put to work with his chain saw to cut away fallen branches. This would be required again further up the trail. This section was very scenic and reminiscent of KZN, the gulley we were following was going through a fern forest and had a distinct tropical feel to it. Eventually we reached the top and after enjoying the views, descended to reach the fork and then back on to camp.

It was decided that the Rondekop route would be ideal but in a clockwise direction as the exposed nature of this side of the kop was less dense in vegetation, Bob and I having acquired quite a bit of pin-striping on the more dense and leeward section. This would allow for everyone to reach the top, enjoy the views and head down the same way but those who wanted something slightly more challenging could continue with the clock-wise route from the top, in the opposite direction to the the recce route, making some of the gulley crossing less challenging but also reduce the risk of recovery and or damage. As it turned out, everyone who did the clockwise route to the top decided they had to complete the route down through the dense vegetation section.

We headed back to camp to enjoy the rest of Friday afternoon and await the arrival of members who continued to arrive up until the late evening. The camp was starting to grow nicely and introductions and greetings were being made. Then it started to rain! Lightly at first but all of a sudden, larger drops started to appear and withing seconds, a severe gust came through the middle road of the camp site, throwing wheelie bins all over, Pete's awning did a back flick-flack and his one sidewall came lose and a number of large branches came down at a couple of places. This lasted a number of minutes with driving, stinging rain. We took shelter behind Bob's FJ and under his 270 awning but the rain was horizontal and it just swirled around the FJ like a garden hose spray nozzle drenching us in seconds.

All thoughts of a group campfire were drowned at that point as a small recovery operation took place in the quickly fading light. Pete bore the brunt of the wind that came through camp and JamesV in his very, very impressive LC Motor Home, dodged a bullet having moved his camp site from his first choice which was now occupied by a half of a tree. Coenoes would arrive later and set up next to this in the adjacent site. Sian, Nuno and I set up the sidewalls on the Conquerors awning and resorted to doing that nights braai on gas. Gavin, Johan and Charl arrived and set up what can only be described as a Gazebo mess hall complete with dining area, lounge area and cooking area which then morphed into a sheltered but not dry, gathering spot for many. They assisted Pete and Elaine in getting their camp back to its former state albeit with a few modifications to fix broken brackets and other odds and ends.

The camp settled into the evening routine and the main part of the rain had subsided but not before Hedgehog discovered a large leak over the door of his Conqueror which in fairness, given the volume of water we received, probably would not have been noticed in a normal down pour. I had thoughts of sleeping in the Conqueror having gone into my tent and noticed drips of water falling onto my sleeping bag and other places where I turned my head. It turned out, my cap was so sodden that the water was wicking to the edge of the peak and dripping onto everything I was looking at giving me the impression the tent had become a sieve

Saturday dawned in almost the same way as Friday but with some ominous looking clouds to the East with down pours clearly visible against the rising sun. However, it held off as it had for the night but would come back to remind us it was still there later on Saturday evening. After a Driver Briefing at 09h00, the trail started at 10h30, giving everyone time to have a leisurely breakfast and pack and check vehicles. Bob and James assisted with Radio Comms which were used along the convoy. I remained behind in camp and had arranged with Christoff to take him down the trail so he could get some footage and phodies of the vehicles. Miems, who had lost her Garrie (Defender) to her son Ferdi, came along with us. We went down to the dam and then onto the trail following the clockwise up route as we thought this would present good phodie opportunities of the convoy coming down.

It was as though the convoy had disappeared into thin air. Not a vehicle in sight. We went back to the fork to see if they had decided to do the route in the anti-clockwise direction but we couldnt find any tracks. I though that maybe they had decided to change the route in its entirety so we headed back to camp. I checked in with James to see if there had been any radio chatter but this didnt shed any light on the missing convoy. Anyhoo, after an hour or two, the convoy returned to the camp and there were what appeared to be happy faces so that was a relief. I was quite concerned about finding a ''balanced'' route. Many if not all of us use our vehicles daily so the risk of serious damage or worse still injury, was playing on my mind and was at the forefront of the trail selection criteria. It was only debriefing Nuno that I found that everyone wanted to do the heavily vegetated route section and so had opted for that. This is why Christoff and I didnt encounter any downward vehicles on our trip and why I didnt find any tracks on the anti-clockwise fork in the trail as the convoy hadnt quite reached that point yet.

The weather was still looking a bit iffy by late afternoon. Our surprise visitors arrived, Dirk and Rainier who proceeded to introduce themselves to the members and for many of whom, it was the first time they had met the man behind the forum. Then the heavens opened again and Dirk eventually took shelter in the ''Mess Hall'' where he pointed out the correlation between GTG rain and my presence. I reminded him in turn, that he was also present at each of these GTGs that were notable for being, shall we say, blessed with preciptation. The rain let up to a slight drizzle at which Hedgehog, in SGT Major fashion, rounded up the troops to get a fire going, which he did admirably. By around 17h00 we had assembled and a small Prize giving ceremony took place for an informal competition judged by Sian and Nuno which consisted of 3 categories based on their inexperienced of view of what was the best in each category, these being Vehicle, Camp and Power Source. While it wasnt approached from a true technical scrutineering perspective, the results were probably a good reflection of what an ordinary person would judge:

1. Vehicle: Incredible Bob
    2. Camp: JamesV
    3. Power: Christoff

Each of the winners received a Forum Tyre kit in a canvas pouch consisting of a tyre gauge and gloves as well as a small Outdoor Warehouse gift voucher donated by Sian and Nuno. Dirk as always, came bearing goodies and every member received a Forum cap and a chicken tooth (Domed Forum Sticker). The formalities were kept to the minimum as they should be and on queue, it started to rain. Hedgehog and Mrs Hedgehog had a very welcome curry and rice which I was fortunate to sample (although it was larger than sample size) along with FWM's Swambo and eventually it was just EmmieL and I at the boma campfire and then just EmmieL as the rain got a bit heavier. I left Sian and Nuno to fend for themselves with the contents of the fridge, ice box and chuck box, which they did convincingly did while I was content to have been fed by Hedgehog, (Curry and Rice), Sneaky Pete (Braai Paai) and the brothers Johan and Charl (Rib Eye slivers). I was hoping that Coenoes would have had a Sous Vide sample on hand but maybe next time. Feeding Estee is a tradition started by Riaan at the KZN GTG so why stop it now I could have kicked myself at my politeness and did later on because I could have scoffed much larger portions than I did. Blerry awesome grub and these guys should be on It Are Time more often. It was a fairly early night for most and I slipped into sleep by about 21h30, lulled by the sounds of a camp slowly settling in for the night.

Sunday morning came all too quickly and the breaking of camp was a leisurely affair which took till noon for many and was marked by a parting of the physical ways, for now, until the next one. Keep in mind that KZN is in March so watch the info post on that one. If you are keen to attend, let Riaan know as I think the numbers on this one will be fairly limited and it will be a stunner with the Ongoye forest being a highlight of the trail section. Skihili managed to celebrate a family members birthday by attending and next time he will camp with us. Ama-Newbie, in fairness, admitted to being a fair-weather camper and let me know that he had decided to take a rain-check Hopefully they will both be on the next one.

Again, the GTG happens thanks to you members who make it happen. Hedgehog's Brekkie Runs are mini GTGs so please try and get onto one of these. Its a half a day and close by. Check the main events planned for the Forum for 2020 in the events section. There is a sticky

Many, many thanks for a great weekend and you are all great people.

Cheers

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

18. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Thanks for a great write-up, Esstee!

Thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and seeing all the photies and videos on the WhatsApp group. Thanks to all who contributed... Looks like great fun was had by all, in spite of the weather!

I have every intention of attending the next one. As a newbie with a fairly new vehicle I'm not sure I'll tackle the trails; besides I never bought it with the intention of "serious" 4x4-ing. But I look forward to meeting some members face-to-face around a campfire...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ama-newbie For This Useful Post:

Some phodies

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200220_181419.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	559282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200220_184243.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	559283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200220_184228.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	559284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200220_185538.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	559286Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200220_181419.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	559282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200221_123543.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	559287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200221_123820.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	559288Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200221_123836.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	559289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200221-WA0040.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	559290Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200221-WA0041.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	559291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200222_061513.jpg 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	559292Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200222-WA0018.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	559293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200222-WA0020.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	559294Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200222-WA0019.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	559295Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200222-WA0022.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	559296Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200223-WA0032.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	559297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200223-WA0030.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	559298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200223-WA0029.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	559299Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200223-WA0031.jpg 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	559300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200223-WA0033.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	559301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200223-WA0034.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	559302Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200223-WA0035.jpg 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	559303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200223-WA0036.jpg 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	559304Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200223-WA0037.jpg 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	559305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200223-WA0038.jpg 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	559306Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200223-WA0071.jpg 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	559307Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200223-WA0077.jpg 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	559308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200223-WA0078.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	559309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200223-WA0080.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	559310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200223-WA0084.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	559311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200223-WA0083.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	559312Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200222-WA0024.jpg 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	559313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200222-WA0023.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	559314

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

At least we met Estee, Hedgehog, Nuno, Sian and Emmie L. Folks never to be forgotten.

For this family it was a weekend of wonders: celebrating three birthdays, getting wet, having no phone reception, et al. Sorry we left in a hurry yesterday: my son-in-law was chosen for a league cricket match in Rooihuiskraal on reasonably short notice. A 20-overs match in which he took 3 wickets and made 54 runs.

Concerning the trip around the farm: for me it was a virgin 4X4 trip behind the wheel. I really did not know what to expect, and decided to stay in the group after the optional turn-around point, to not look silly. And the small-engined Ranger (2.2) did its part to cool my nerves after the first few "obstacles". Also the auto box made it so easy to concentrate on the way ahead.

Thanks to Nuno for his assistance at the more difficult corners and crossings.

The Ranger's fuel consumption at the start of driving toward the hilly area was 7.6l/100km.

After the mountain trip it went up to only 8.7l/100km.

I'm sure if I do it again we (the truck and I) will do even better.

In total, a very enjoyable experience.
    Skihili

2019 Ford Ranger 2.2 DC 4x4 Auto
    Old school. QL is not an instructor.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Skihili For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skihili View Post
    At least we met Estee, Hedgehog, Nuno, Sian and Emmie L. Folks never to be forgotten.

For this family it was a weekend of wonders: celebrating three birthdays, getting wet, having no phone reception, et al. Sorry we left in a hurry yesterday: my son-in-law was chosen for a league cricket match in Rooihuiskraal on reasonably short notice. A 20-overs match in which he took 3 wickets and made 54 runs.

Concerning the trip around the farm: for me it was a virgin 4X4 trip behind the wheel. I really did not know what to expect, and decided to stay in the group after the optional turn-around point, to not look silly. And the small-engined Ranger (2.2) did its part to cool my nerves after the first few "obstacles". Also the auto box made it so easy to concentrate on the way ahead.

Thanks to Nuno for his assistance at the more difficult corners and crossings.

The Ranger's fuel consumption at the start of driving toward the hilly area was 7.6l/100km.

After the mountain trip it went up to only 8.7l/100km.

I'm sure if I do it again we (the truck and I) will do even better.

In total, a very enjoyable experience.
    Im not sure if anybody turned around, we were one of the cars in front, but I know how you felt when it came to the turn around spot I also did not want to look silly. Not knowing what lies ahead I looked at the cars in front of us and said to Swambo if they can do I can most definitely do it and so glad we did. It was great fun and so nice to drive through the thick bush.

As mentioned Nunu and Sian did a great job at navigating us through the trail and it was very well planned to cater for all the vehicle types and all types of drivers with and with less experience.
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2020 Nissan NP300 2.5TDi S/C

26. The Following User Says Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

Said to swambo just now, I still wish we could have joined, even with the not so good weather, lekker uitgemis op daai trip
    -----------------------
    Current - FORD RANGER T6 4X4 WITH 4.3 LEXUS" title="Evil" border="">
    Previous - MAZDA DRIFTER 2.5 2X4
    FORD RANGER 2.5 2X4

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PietRangerbostrok For This Useful Post:

Definately next time Piet

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Cool Re: Gauteng-a-leng GTG

We are still not home, Henk always makes a detour and this time it happened to be a couple of nights in Pilanesberg! 😆

Thank you all for a wonderful weekend, rain and all! Hope to see you on the next one! 😎

Customization and custom canvas work for any trailer, no matter the model or make.

Catch us on FaceBook!

Ultimate Overland - 4x4 Trailer Sales, Rental and Customization

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JennyB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JennyB View Post
    We are still not home, Henk always makes a detour and this time it happened to be a couple of nights in Pilanesberg!

Thank you all for a wonderful weekend, rain and all! Hope to see you on the next one!
    Awesome J. Great meeting you and H. Awesome guys with great spirit. If I dont see you before May then will see in the Ongoye Forest?

;-)

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

I am so tempted to do Ongoye, like I told you it is paradise on earth and home to some awesome birds and plants. For what it's worth that was the only location of the Woodii cycad. Only 2 male specimens
    were ever found. It is a natural treasure trove and I am sure it will still have quite a few surprises waiting to be discovered. As you know itooka wrong turn on Sunday. This is what I found sommer on a cell phone Real camera stayed behind

Name:	IMG_20200223_161746.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	512.1 KB 
ID:	559555

Thanks to all for the hard work you put in to make sure that the event was a huge success.
    Next time I suggest we wrap Donita in a rain coat to scare away the rain. Regardless of the weather it was still great to see her and all the other friends, new and existing.
    Last edited by hbannink; 2020/02/26 at 10:46 PM.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

That would be awesome Henk. I want to hear more about your trips on a motorbike and your views on travelling light and travelling far.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    I am so tempted to do Ongoye, like I told you it is paradise on earth and home to some awesome birds and plants. For what it's worth that was the only location of the Woodii cycad. Only 2 male specimens
    were ever found. It is a natural treasure trove and I am sure it will still have quite a few surprises waiting to be discovered. As you know itooka wrong turn on Sunday. This is what I found sommer on a cell phone Real camera stayed behind

Name:	IMG_20200223_161746.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	512.1 KB 
ID:	559555

Thanks to all for the hard work you put in to make sure that the event was a huge success.
    Next time I suggest we wrap Donita in a rain coat to scare away the rain. Regardless of the weather it was still great to see her and all the other friends, new and existing.
    It would be a privilege if you decide to join us in Ongoye Henk.

Estee, awesome GTG you had. The KZN bafowethu will have to up their game it seems.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast