Which campings/route to choose for remote travelling with young kids in SA & Namibia? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Which campings/route to choose for remote travelling with young kids in SA & Nami

Quote Originally Posted by PedroD View Post
    Their reply? " . . . the trampoline at Ghwai River Lodge!"
    ;-) very recognizable...

Considering the remote places you plan to visit, it will be worth investing in Tracks4Africa, both the GPS version and the paper map book."
    Check

We'll book both MZNP and Addo. My oldest son would kill me if I said we skipped a park with 'elephant' in its name. Thinking about having a day drive in the park and finding a more relaxed camping spot outside Addo NP (suggestions are welcome)

You're probably right about finding a better balance between arid and hot landscapes and green forests. Other community members adviced us in the same way. I try to figure out how we can make a loop combining some of the spots you mentionned together with a route through the mountain passes north of Oudsthoorn.

Game viewing is challenging for small children. We always tried to get our children interested in the small things as well; flowers, seeds, leaves, insects, birds, trees, projects and games. Then when the odd lion or elephant comes along it is a great bonus and an exciting time.
    +1, we'll take a bird and mammal guide with us. I also take a trail camera with us, so can discover nightlife around our tent. Our oldest one will make a travel diary she will share with her friends at school - she'd love to show everything what she discovered.

About baboons on the campsites - any precaution to take to prevent our children to be bitten by them? One bite means a direct drive to an hospital for Rabies vaccin. Or are they just annoying without being aggressive?

We are aware of the distances. And although my wife and I are experienced travellers (Australia, S-America en Mongolia with a bycicle), this is our first big adventure with our kids. So better be warned indeed.

Default Re: Which campings/route to choose for remote travelling with young kids in SA & Nami

Quote Originally Posted by FreekenGriet View Post
    ;

You're probably right about finding a better balance between arid and hot landscapes and green forests. Other community members adviced us in the same way. I try to figure out how we can make a loop combining some of the spots you mentionned together with a route through the mountain passes north of Oudsthoorn.

About baboons on the campsites - any precaution to take to prevent our children to be bitten by them? One bite means a direct drive to an hospital for Rabies vaccin. Or are they just annoying without being aggressive?

We are aware of the distances. And although my wife and I are experienced travellers (Australia, S-America en Mongolia with a bycicle), this is our first big adventure with our kids. So better be warned indeed.
    Two possible routes to go north from the Garden Route: From Knysna up through the forests on the Prince Alfred Pass to Uniondale and Oudtshoorn. Or just further down from George up the Outeniqua Pass to Oudtshorn. From there I suggest travel to De Rust and through Meiringspoort to Klaarstroom and then onto Prince Albert. Then come back over the Swartberg Pass towards Oudtshoorn. All of that route is spectacular. Then you are on the R62 which will take you across the Little Karoo to Worcester from where you can turn up to Ceres and the Cederburg.

Baboons and monkeys are more of a nuisance than a danger. Number one rule is do not feed them. They would only bite trying to take something out of your hand. Mostly they just steal food when your back is turned, but they can also be very destructive in a campsite, so be sure to close up everything when you go for a walk. In the national parks in the US, there are signs saying "if a bear has taken your backpack, it is no longer your backpack". Same applies here, if they do happen to take something, just leave it alone.

Wow, I see you have already been to the "big distance" countries! You will find Namibia to be similar then.
    PedroD

Toyota Prado TX 3.0D & Bush Lapa Boskriek

They arrived latish yesterday afternoon, the kids had a ball with "Ouma Trudie" while Freek and Griet organised their truck and stuff

Bon voyage guys...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200117_085439.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	554667Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200117_085356.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	554668Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200116_185953.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	554669Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200116_185012.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	554670
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

[QUOTE=FreekenGriet;4301731];-) very recognizable...
    Ah yes that trampoline. I remember it well. When we used to drive from Hwange to Bulawayo(And back) as a lightie we used to pull in there for refreshments. I couldn't wait to get there for that trampoline.
    Last edited by andrewdjulyan; 2020/01/17 at 05:37 PM.

Hello,

just a small update on our trip. We’ve been helped greatly by Johan en Trudy at our arrival in JHB (and the kids loved it) so we kicked off our trip with valuable advice. We loved Mountain Zebra, much more than Addo by the way. The crossing of Baviaanskloof was challenging but lovely (thanks Tony Yeo for that 4x4 training), Wilderness NP was a good change on all our arid destinations and the riverside camp at Bontebok NP was an absolute succes for the kids. Altough there are few animals, we really loved staying in Bontebok. After that, we hit the road towards Cederberg, skipping Tankwa Karoo because of the hot weather. We now take a rest in the lovely Enjo Nature Farm (new owners, extremely friendly - great place to stay) before we head to the Western coastline this afternoon.

We first need a stop in Clanwilliam for a new fridge battery and upon advice of Johan, we will drive up the coastline from Lambert’s bay till port Nolloth (Johan, please remember us which lady we needed to remind that nightly bike-ride) and than decide where we’ll cross the border to Namibia (either at Alexander bay or at Richtersveld sendelingendrift).

Any short term suggestions on good camping spots on the western coast are very welcome. Hopefully the weather will be great next week. We’ll send a new update when we have a proper wifi connection again (the one in Enjo reception is great and is free).

And another update (Freek called me earlier today), their fridge has packed up, so they have to backtrack to Worcester or Cape Town to get it fixed as their rental company can only get a replacement to them by Monday. I advised them to try phoning Worcester first as it's closer to Clanwilliam.

EDIT UPDATE TO the update - no stock in Worcester, so they are heading to Cape Town. Unfortunately we have a full house because of a family funeral so can't help them, but Freek says they have found a B&B close to the repair workshop.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2020/02/07 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Remove cell no.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Freek

Sounds good. Sorry about the fridge. I am sure someone will sort you out quick.

The lady in Port Nolloth is Anita at Anita's Tavern. Used to be very good with seafood. Hoping still the case.

Going up coastline will be chilly at night. If you go as far as Luderitz DO NOT give Kolmanskop a miss.

Safe travels.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

Thanks Tony and Johan, we arrived safely in Cape Town and were happy with our improvised Airbnb accomodation but were looking forward to pick up our track again - we quickly miss it to sleep in our comfy rooftop tent in the middle of nowhere.

Well try to meet Anita and taste the seafood over there - and yes Luderitz is still on our plan. First another week on the SA west coast...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2