Rooiputs here we come! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Rooiputs here we come!

A neat solution and water saving! Never thought of Coke bottles.
    Thanks Peter!

We use garden sprays - the plastic bottles - which I find work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    mShower at your camp site with 2 coke bottles with luke warm water from the fire kettle and holes drilled in the bottle top ..Use one to soap up and the other to rinse off ..Best shower on the market ..No lion issues and either my Wife or I goes first at the campsite. Grey shower cubicle to the right of the trailer Attachment 553252

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

We love Rooiputs and will again be there in June. We've had lions very close by and a leopard unpacking the neighbours suitcase when they're out for a drive. Lesson learnt: zip and close up everything when you leave camp, even for a short drive.

That evening the leopard was watching us making an awesome ox tail pot as the sun sets. It is a bit unnerving to know he's there, but you can't see him anymore.

Tip 2: There is a small opening at the bottom of the enclosures of the showers and long drops. Peek underneath to see what surprises await you before entering.

Tip 3: Flatten out the sand around your camp before you go to bed and the next morning have a look at the spoor around your camp. We've had lions visiting us during the night without making any sound and we would not have known about them if it wasn't for the spoor.

Bonus tip: Those spray bottles that you pump to build up pressure works great for an economic shower. Fill with warm water, pump up the pressure and you can spray all the hard to reach places.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    ...Bonus tip: Those spray bottles that you pump to build up pressure works great for an economic shower. Fill with warm water, pump up the pressure and you can spray all the hard to reach places.
    Agreed 100%. That is all we use whether we use our shower cubicle or the shower shelter.

They are also handy for a cooling off mist, washing hands, rinsing dishes etc and very economical for a shower.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Paul, I cannot recall if you have camped unfenced amongst lions and other predators in the Kalahari such as Rooiputs, Polentawa, Mabuasehube and CKGR - before. If not, I hope you and any others will plan to do so soon, it is a wonderful experience. Unfortunate scares (especially for the sake of the ladies) can easily be avoided by adopting some sort of safe camp routine. These are the type of precautions I can recall offhand. For us these are an unconscious routine rather than a imposition:

• Shower in the heat of day when the lions are more visible and often are lying up in shade and less mobile. Here we work in pairs with one on the lookout and the other within the wooden stockade/shower. Just make sure they are not sharing your own shade. Take along your own collapsable "bucket" shower with rope as at times they are broken or missing. A midday shower between game drives is so refreshing. Also best in the cold winters. Try not to leave too much of your draining shower water lying about on the sand and some drainage spade work may be required. Pools of water might attract lions to drink in the arid Kalahari. Also no dripping taps or basins of water "for the birds". Most of the lion visits for water are when darkness approaches and visibility is poorer. The walk in daylight to the nearest ablution facility is usually not too far.
    • Never leave out any food for lions or hyenas, even the odour could attract them into camp when your guard is down or visibility poor.
    • Braai early in the evening whilst your all-round visibility is good and any predators attracted by the smell can be tracked.
    • Pack all camping items into a closed vehicle, especially if they carry a food odour of any sort. No food or cooking utensils to be stored in a ground tent.
    • Do not throw any bones or scraps into the surrounding bush.
    • Night vision is a very important factor and too much light pollution leads to relative night blindness and could enable a lion to approach closely to you before giving you a nasty fright. In camp we only work with off-and-on headlamps and then have a couple of lamps on the edge of the camp to increase our field of vision and possibly to deter unwelcome visitors.
    • Camp setup. We always plan this logically as a routine. The vehicle at our back also screening the most open section of the camp, vehicle seats empty for rapid refuge and vehicle doors unlocked. Fire between the outside bush and where we sit with our backs to the vehicle, close-by. Some use the foldup windscreens on poles as a further barrier to the one side, but with my night vision I prefer a clear field of vision. We have never used electric wires or motion-detecting lights.
    • Someone will always be on the lookout, not obsessively but when one is busy with a camp chore the other is better if not too preoccupied. These sort of things become a routine and need not be a paranoid pain in the butt.
    • If in a rooftop tent and lions are about and inquisitive, it might be best to life the vehicle bonnet to make it less attractive for them to climb onto the vehicle and explore. Some won't even braai if lions about?
    • If in a ground tent and lions enter camp, best to remain completely silent, motionless and calm. Best to lie down so that either your silhouttes or yourselves cannot be seen (through the gauze). Always zip up the tent securely before sleeping and leave only as much gauze open as needed for decent ventilation.
    • When answering a call of nature in the dark, from a ground or RTT, or a vehicle campervan, this must always be done in pairs with a strong torch. The eyes of cats show up very brightly in the dark. Others may require a She-wee device or in fact a broad-necked screw top bottle such as HTH where the chlorine drowns any odours. Others devise some sort of chamberpot or even a portaloo.
    • If lions are spotted in the vicinity, be especially aware as darkness approaches, as many Kalahari lions have become somewhat human habituated and often do an exploratory circuit of campsites before setting off for the night. Be particularly aware if there are subadult lions present, they are particularly mischievous and inquisitive. Never leave out food or water.
    • At night cats become far more mobile, inquisitive and predatory. Just observe how the personality of your sleepy domestic cat changes at night to become a fierce hunter.
    • Lions are particularly stimulated to hunt by the presence of obviously weak and vulnerable children and even the sounds of ther voices. Next time just notice how caged zoo lions immediately fixate onto children. Thes kids have to be very carefully controlled in lion areas, especially as dark approaches.
    • It is a great privilege to "live amongst lions" and those campers behaving unsafely and causing habituation could bring this privilege to an end, or even cause the death of campers.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

We had a leopard in the toilet of stand 2, fortunately we noticed him going in. That is why we avoid using the 'amenities' after dark.
    What to do if you come face to face with a lion or leopard in the shower? You definitely use the toilet............
    Danie Gerryts
    NSRI Station 31

2013 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T
    2016 Ford Ranger 3.2TDCi 4x4 A/T Supercab

Thanks, Stan!

When are you writing the Manual?

I phoned DWNP directly and spoke to Ruth/Joshua requesting for accomodation at Rooiputs for December 2020.
    Within minutes I received the Provisional Booking from them.
    We are so lucky to get Rooiputs No. 2 for 8 x nights only!! (I was planning for at least 12xNights)
    We will be 3 x Vehicles with 4x4 Trailers and everyone is already seeing forward to this December Kgalagadi holiday!!
    We've been to Kgalagadi so many times but every time we go there it is just an amazing holiday!!
    ...can't wait...

I'm addicted...to CAMPING...!!!
    Cheers...my campsite is waiting...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by soekiets View Post
    I phoned DWNP directly and spoke to Ruth/Joshua requesting for accomodation at Rooiputs for December 2020.
    We are so lucky to get Rooiputs No. 2 for 8 x nights only!! (I was planning for at least 12xNights)
    We will be 3 x Vehicles with 4x4 Trailers and everyone is already seeing forward to this December Kgalagadi holiday!!
    We've been to Kgalagadi so many times but every time we go there it is just an amazing holiday!!
    ...can't wait...
    What dates will you be there?

We will be at No 1 for 6 nights from 26 December 2020 until 1 January 2021.

We might be neighbors!

We leave Monday a little bush cure to see the cubs. We have pics of the females from last October. 2 nights Mata Mata 4 Nossob. Stay at Kgaligadi lodge so have the first and last day all day on the park.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

Hi Neville,
    We will be there from 14/12 to 22/12. (booked and paid)
    Then moving to Nossob till 28th.
    Might see you around when we pass Rooiputs area during our stay?

I'm addicted...to CAMPING...!!!
    Cheers...my campsite is waiting...!!!

...can't wait...
    Hi Neville,
    We will be there from 14/12 to 22/12. (booked and paid)
    Then moving to Nossob till 28th.
    Might see you around when we pass Rooiputs area during our stay?
    Dankie vir die uitnodigingSal dit dagboek
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2