Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gauteng
    Age
    46
    Posts
    602
    Thanked: 92

    Default Legend 35 (KZ-TE) with D4D transplant

    I have asked on this forum previously about replacing my Legend 35 Hilux KZ-TE engine with D4D engine and most of the advice was not to do it. Mostly because of the cost involved and also resale value as people generally dont like to buy 'half breeds'. I acknowledge those sentiments and advice.
    However, are there any technical limitations why it cannot be done? And if so what are those challenges I may face?
    Would an entire D4D engine fit in my engine bay, would I also have to use the D4D gearbox and transfer case, or will my gearbox and transfer case fit to the D4D engine ?
    What happens to all the electronics and cables - I presume my vehicle has far less electronics, cables, interfaces and sensors etc etc to what a D4D has.
    I know i would probably have to modify the bonnet to accommodate the intercooler intake.
    If anyone has done this please can they share their experiences or give me some advice.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    59
    Posts
    10,109
    Thanked: 3741

    Default Re: Legend 35 (KZ-TE) with D4D transplant

    The biggest hurdle will be the standalone ECU to run the D4D. Standalone Diesel ECU's are in the region of R30k

    As far as I know the KZ uses the same R151 gearbox as the D4D. You will only need a bellhousing swap to D4D.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    60
    Posts
    16,178
    Thanked: 2485

    Default Re: Legend 35 (KZ-TE) with D4D transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    The biggest hurdle will be the standalone ECU to run the D4D. Standalone Diesel ECU's are in the region of R30k

    As far as I know the KZ uses the same R151 gearbox as the D4D. You will only need a bellhousing swap to D4D.
    The guys have that OEM ECU pretty taped. Thy wire it and start the car on the floor.

    This is one of my dream projects for myself.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    51
    Posts
    407
    Thanked: 134

    Default Re: Legend 35 (KZ-TE) with D4D transplant


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gauteng
    Age
    46
    Posts
    602
    Thanked: 92

    Default Re: Legend 35 (KZ-TE) with D4D transplant

    Ok so there is hope.
    I dont know where to start with this. I'm def going to look into this and see how far I can get. More questions to follow......

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    43
    Posts
    12,628
    Thanked: 1962

    Default Re: Legend 35 (KZ-TE) with D4D transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    As far as I know the KZ uses the same R151 gearbox as the D4D. You will only need a bellhousing swap to D4D.
    I may be wrong, but I think the D4D used the same block as a KZ-TE. So the bell housing may even fit.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

    Then it it a chisel.

    083 399 2046

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,272
    Thanked: 278

    Default Re: Legend 35 (KZ-TE) with D4D transplant

    The D4D drops straight into the Kz engine space. Gearbox, engine mounts, etc. is the same.

    Only challenge is the electronics but it has been done before and I know of at least 2 guys that got it sorted.

    You can install a front mount intercooler if you don't want to cut the bonnet.
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

    Si vis pacem, para bellum

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    59
    Posts
    10,109
    Thanked: 3741

    Default Re: Legend 35 (KZ-TE) with D4D transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think the D4D used the same block as a KZ-TE. So the bell housing may even fit.
    En daar leer ek weer iets
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gauteng
    Age
    46
    Posts
    602
    Thanked: 92

    Default Re: Legend 35 (KZ-TE) with D4D transplant

    The guy in this thread changed the speedo cluster.....is that necessary?
    The electronics, do they connect them to all the existing end points, such as engine faults, glo plug indicators. What's happens toball those things.....do they get them all working on the same instrument cluster or must it be changed?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    447
    Thanked: 49

    Default Re: Legend 35 (KZ-TE) with D4D transplant

    Subscribed.
    The word Dzombo is derived from the Tsonga word Dzombolo meaning ‘to wait for something that is slow in coming.
    Named after one of the Magnificent Seven, sadly killed by a Poacher Oct 1995 @ 50 years old.
    Dzombo1 Ex Army LR TD upgraded to 200 Tdi
    Dzombo2 1997 Discovery 300Tdi man
    Dzombo3 2000 Jeep GC 3.0 Diesel a/t
    Dzombo4 2005 Hilux KZTE Legend 35
    Platkar 2017 VW Touareg.
    Camping in a Bokwa.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    joburg
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,426
    Thanked: 598

    Default Re: Legend 35 (KZ-TE) with D4D transplant

    Ive seen a converted KZTE 4x2 with a D4D in it, definitely not an easy drop in, yes the speedo clocks and ignition barrel and key was changed as well.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    59
    Posts
    10,109
    Thanked: 3741

    Default Re: Legend 35 (KZ-TE) with D4D transplant

    I have seen a SFA Hilux with D4D engine they also changed the instrument cluster.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,272
    Thanked: 278

    Default Re: Legend 35 (KZ-TE) with D4D transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by WayneMan View Post
    The guy in this thread changed the speedo cluster.....is that necessary?
    The electronics, do they connect them to all the existing end points, such as engine faults, glo plug indicators. What's happens toball those things.....do they get them all working on the same instrument cluster or must it be changed?
    No, the guy in Delmas works on the D4D ecu that it only use what is needed. Afaik you use the Kz cluster and key.
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

    Si vis pacem, para bellum

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town Southern Suburbs
    Posts
    3,477
    Thanked: 1461

    Default Re: Legend 35 (KZ-TE) with D4D transplant

    You probably have to replace the cluster because I'm assuming the ecu supplies the cluster data and the old cluster won't work with the new D4D ecu, neither will the old key and barrel(with immobiliser transponders) work with the new ECU and hence must also be replaced.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2020/01/05 at 03:48 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    62
    Posts
    14
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Legend 35 (KZ-TE) with D4D transplant

    Ek het gehoor N4 Landcruiser 4x4 specialiste doen DvD ombouings. N Toyota werks winkel bestuurder het eenkeer vir my gese.... sit n intercooler op jou KZTE en hy maak n groot verskil... betroubaarheid en krag

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kloof, Durban
    Age
    34
    Posts
    22
    Thanked: 7

    Default Re: Legend 35 (KZ-TE) with D4D transplant

    Sad to see how many people comment for the sake of commenting with assumptions just to get a post count up.

    We've put a D4D into pretty much anything that can commercially move passengers, from Hiace's to Condors to Mercedes 515 minibuses to VW Crafter's, We started on the V8 lexus swap, great for noise, but not so great when you get your fuel bill at the end of the day. V8's got boring so we started putting KZTE's in, they're a good motor, but lack the grunt required to move a loaded bus with 32 passengers.

    so we moved on to D4D's. D4D's are great, because they've built a reputation for being reliable, they do drop straight into the KZTE space, they have a nice torque curve that makes them good for moving heavy loads.

    We now focus on the GD6's, the 2.4 has a better torque curve and consistently uses less fuel than all the above. 2.8's are hard to come by so we normally make use of whatever is available.

    1. Do we use the OEM ECU? - Yes for the D4D and GD6
    2. Do we need the cluster? - No - unless you really want RPM on your dash
    3. Do we need the original key ? No for the D4D, yes for the GD6
    4. Bell Housing for the KZTE/D4D/GD6 are all bolt on
    5. We take the original Loom from the donor and shave out what ever we do not need and build our own fuse/relay box
    6. Will I give you diagrams of the loom - No

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fray For This Useful Post:


  18. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    37
    Posts
    39
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: Legend 35 (KZ-TE) with D4D transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by Fray View Post
    Sad to see how many people comment for the sake of commenting with assumptions just to get a post count up.

    We've put a D4D into pretty much anything that can commercially move passengers, from Hiace's to Condors to Mercedes 515 minibuses to VW Crafter's, We started on the V8 lexus swap, great for noise, but not so great when you get your fuel bill at the end of the day. V8's got boring so we started putting KZTE's in, they're a good motor, but lack the grunt required to move a loaded bus with 32 passengers.

    so we moved on to D4D's. D4D's are great, because they've built a reputation for being reliable, they do drop straight into the KZTE space, they have a nice torque curve that makes them good for moving heavy loads.

    We now focus on the GD6's, the 2.4 has a better torque curve and consistently uses less fuel than all the above. 2.8's are hard to come by so we normally make use of whatever is available.

    1. Do we use the OEM ECU? - Yes for the D4D and GD6
    2. Do we need the cluster? - No - unless you really want RPM on your dash
    3. Do we need the original key ? No for the D4D, yes for the GD6
    4. Bell Housing for the KZTE/D4D/GD6 are all bolt on
    5. We take the original Loom from the donor and shave out what ever we do not need and build our own fuse/relay box
    6. Will I give you diagrams of the loom - No
    What kind of cost are we taking about if you do it? Where are you situated? I have a 90 Prado and will have to to motor anyway. Please advise
    Love change!

    Past:
    Isuzu 2.8 Single cab
    Land Rover Defender Tdi 110
    Mitsubishi Pajero 2800 LWB
    Land Rover Defender Tdi 90
    Toyota Hilux 2.7i
    Toyota Prado KZTE series 90
    What's next....?

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to PHS101 For This Useful Post:


  20. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sandton
    Posts
    1,459
    Thanked: 569

    Default Re: Legend 35 (KZ-TE) with D4D transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by PHS101 View Post
    What kind of cost are we taking about if you do it? Where are you situated? I have a 90 Prado and will have to to motor anyway. Please advise
    And I have the KZTE Prado 120 - still purring like a kitten, but she would love a D4D.
    Gavin Pike

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kloof, Durban
    Age
    34
    Posts
    22
    Thanked: 7

    Default Re: Legend 35 (KZ-TE) with D4D transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by PHS101 View Post
    What kind of cost are we taking about if you do it? Where are you situated? I have a 90 Prado and will have to to motor anyway. Please advise
    I'm situated in Durban, Conversion cost on the 90 Prado will be R115k all in.

  22. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    54
    Posts
    644
    Thanked: 87

    Default Re: Legend 35 (KZ-TE) with D4D transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by Fray View Post
    I'm situated in Durban, Conversion cost on the 90 Prado will be R115k all in.
    Does that include the motor ?
    UZJ 42 LX: Olive (Sold and bought her Back !)
    HDJ 75 RV Troopy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •