Pajero - Overland and repair - Build log nicknamed Poncho

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pajero - Overland and repair - Build log nicknamed Poncho

Hey all,

I had finally gotten round to getting this Pajero. She is a 3,5 v6 auto. Drives wonderfully smooth.
    Partial service history, no rust, about 230K kms on the clock, drives well with the exception of the cooling issue.

Knowing it'll be a little bit of a project, I ended up getting this from Cape Town and the first drive attempt to get it to PE wasn't all that successful.
    Just outside of Somerset West beyond Sir Lowreys, I had the AT light pop on briefly before the transmission decided to dump all the fluid (luckily i saw the smoke from the fluid landing on the exhaust in the rear view).

Had it towed to Mitsubishi in Somerset and they did a quick squizz. They recommended a shop nearby (had good reviews) so I had the transmission checked and topped up. Pump was replaced while there.
    All the while, I was back in PE as, my girlfriend was unfortunately in a not-so-bad scooter accident.

After the repairs were done, had them do a long test drive without issue, my buddy collected it and drove it to CT no issues there too.

We fast forward to me flying up the weekend before Christmas to drive down. The first 200km of the drive was uneventful, right before Swellendam, the AT light popped on this time knowing what happened the previous time I stopped and let the system cool while having breakfast.

Left there and about 100km the light again. this resulted in me babying the vehicle home to prevent any leaking from what I now believe to be one or a combination of the following;
    1) blocked breather resulting in pressure build up (the fill tube even was hot to the touch.
    2) cooling system blocked/working below par. Clean, flush, install larger or addition rad for cooling.
    3) Definitly plan on an EMS for monitoring the temps and pressures.

Currently in my driveway, with a compromised seal between the gearbox and engine (location to be determined as I investigate).

TLR, Long story short, she is now at home and I can begin the weekends of tinkering to troubleshoot and get into a nice weekend/getaway vehicle.

Plan of action for 2020

Firstly, to get her mechanically sorted (read transmission and cooling).
    After that I have a nice list of mods planned to get her to overlanding/getaway level.

Just to list a few (In no particular order);

1 Front Bumper (Fabricate)
    2 Drawer system (Fabricate)
    3 Fridge with dual battery
    4 Cellphone mount/reverse camera
    5 Lighting - Spots for offroad
    6 Tooling - Box
    7 Sound system install
    8 Console - Electrical fix (clock isnt working)
    9 Suspension lift (depending on the level of 4x4 I will do)
    10 Snorkel
    11 Bashplate (Fabricate)
    12 Gearbox Plate (Fabricate)
    13 Rocksliders (Fabricate)

I'll be adding to this as I progress with this log.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Garthox; 2019/12/31 at 12:15 PM.

Default Re: Pajero - Overland and repair - Build log nicknamed Poncho

Thanks, looking forward to it! Just remember with all the fabrication of front bumper, bash plate and gearbox protection to keep adequate airflow in mind ... other members here were quite surprised at gearbox oil temperatures seen during what can be regarded as close to normal use.
    Last edited by Ouarzazate; 2019/12/31 at 04:46 PM.
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB
    1996 Conquest 160i RS

Quote Originally Posted by Ouarzazate View Post
    Thanks, looking forward to it! Just remember with all the fabrication of front bumper, bash plate and gearbox protection to keep adequate airflow in mind ... other members here were quite surprised at gearbox oil temperatures seen during what can be regarded as close to normal use.
    Thanks for the comment, yeah. Ive read temps of 86 to 90 degrees as optimal. Seemed high to me.

The AT light comes on at about 145 which is almost too late.
    Definitly will fit a better cooler and a way to monitor the temps when its all buttoned up.

Source: https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=34793

You have one of the iconic Pajeros in your drive. Sure, he's not a youngster anymore, but I like your attitude and mindset.
    My second Pajero looked like your's, but in manual configuration. I had the pleasure of owning 7 Pajeros, and the last four were auto... 3.2 DiD and 3.8V6 models. The gearbox doesn't battle to cope with hard work, so your symptoms are not design related. There is a fundamental problem, which you will have to ID, otherwise I suspect your problems will persist.
    Those cars are so wonderfully designed and superbly capable that I urge you to carefully think before committing to any mods to suspension and such.
    Enjoy and I hope you get the box sorted.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2019/12/31 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    You have one of the iconic Pajeros in your drive. Sure, he's not a youngster anymore, but I like your attitude and mindset.
    My second Pajero looked like your's, but in manual configuration. I had the pleasure of owning 7 Pajeros, and the last four were auto... 3.2 DiD and 3.8V6 models. The gearbox doesn't battle to cope with hard work, so your symptoms are not design related. There is a fundamental problem, which you will have to ID, otherwise I suspect your problems will persist.
    Those cars are so wonderfully designed and superbly capable that I urge you to carefully think before committing to any mods to suspension and such.
    Enjoy and I hope you get the box sorted.
    I am definitely keen to be hands on with all the upgrades, mods etc on her.

Perhaps I'll be fortunate to upgrade one day to a 3.8

Agreed on that thought, of chasing the root cause of the issue I am having.
    You can bet, I am going to do all I can to locate AND solve it

Also, agree on the suspension mods etc.
    The initial mods list was created before I have done any real world usage, and based solely on youtube videos/forum articles and what was done on those that were in the heavy offroad stuff.

The driving I did get the opportunity to do, was so smooth and enjoyable.

I am one of the guys to read everything on a topic before I pull the trigger. You can be assured, I will do my homework brfore doing those type of upgrades.

Finally some developments no this, no thanks to the lockdown.

Going in to be tested, repaired and any upgrades I can do in the mean time while it is there for the gearbox.

Hi Garth,

What a beauty, that colour is just so right and the blister fender looks perfect. I see you are in PE, if you are looking for a good mech I know a guy who used to be a mitsu mechanic. He's done most of the services on dad's 3.2 DID and that's on 380k now without problems and before that he worked on his 3.5v6. If you need the details just let me know. As Roelf said you have to find what's causing that fault as its not a common problem or anything. I'd recommend using the Mitsu parts on such a vital component. They are proven to work.

Looking forward to following your progress

Post Re: Pajero - Overland and repair - Build log nicknamed Poncho

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    Hi Garth,

What a beauty, that colour is just so right and the blister fender looks perfect. I see you are in PE, if you are looking for a good mech I know a guy who used to be a mitsu mechanic. He's done most of the services on dad's 3.2 DID and that's on 380k now without problems and before that he worked on his 3.5v6. If you need the details just let me know. As Roelf said you have to find what's causing that fault as its not a common problem or anything. I'd recommend using the Mitsu parts on such a vital component. They are proven to work.

Looking forward to following your progress
    Yeah, for sure. That would be appreciated. thank you for the comments, I too love the colour and shape.

Agreed, I need to find the root cause of the issue. (possibly insufficient cooling - too much heat) but this is on the cards for an upgrade at the same time as the gearbox repair/recon (whichever is needed)

I do want to find a mechanic I will routinely use, so please share those details and I can contact him when I get this back to me.

Also, 100% to use Mitsu parts.
    My plan is to make this my overland, holiday, weekend trip vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Garthox View Post
    Yeah, for sure. That would be appreciated. thank you for the comments, I too love the colour and shape.

Agreed, I need to find the root cause of the issue. (possibly insufficient cooling - too much heat) but this is on the cards for an upgrade at the same time as the gearbox repair/recon (whichever is needed)

I do want to find a mechanic I will routinely use, so please share those details and I can contact him when I get this back to me.

Also, 100% to use Mitsu parts.
    My plan is to make this my overland, holiday, weekend trip vehicle

Awesome,

Check this out if you're looking for some inspiration - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyx3I9aAFwA

I've sent you a PM

Awesome,

Check this out if you're looking for some inspiration - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyx3I9aAFwA

I've sent you a PM
    That is awesome, always like seeing them looking that clean.
    That colour on his is really good too.

I replied to your PM to say thank you, but is seems it went wonky and didn't go though (that or 5 replies lol)

If you're in the area, we definitely can make a plan too.

Awesome,

I've sent you a PM
    Hi,

Will you please send me the details of the mechanic as well - Brother in Law as a 3.6 at the holiday home that he uses to launch the jetski and he is looking for a decent mechanic in the area.

Thanks,
    Stephan

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    Hi,

Will you please send me the details of the mechanic as well - Brother in Law as a 3.6 at the holiday home that he uses to launch the jetski and he is looking for a decent mechanic in the area.

Thanks,
    Forwarded you on the details.

Some great news, received my Pajero back yesterday after less than a week (4 days) at the gearbox centre.

She needed to have the torque converted and oil pump replaced.
    Somewhere along the way from CT back in December there is a spigot that mates with the crank and this sheared.

The result, was that the oil would bypass the "flailing" oil pump and that is where my major leak came from.
    Those were replaced as well as I had the largest (without any major modification) oil cooler installed and kept that now on its own loop out side of the radiator loop.
    My reasoning, the radiator is older and (I may want to address that relatively soon, and don't want to mess about with the oilcooling loop then).

Next is to get a sender and temp gauge that I will plumb into that loop for added peace of mind.

I am pleased to say driving home she performed wonderfully, shifting smoothly and purring along home.

I have a metal on metal grinding/scraping sound that speeds up with wheel rotation/speed.
    I've done a little reading and hoping to have a look later and if it is what I hope, brake rotor dust cover. Then its a 2min fix.

If not, then it'll be UV, propshaft etc

Also got the chance to fill up the long range tank and worked out my economy from CT to PE last is about 6.3km/l [15,87 l /100]

Regards,
    Garth
    Last edited by Garthox; 2020/05/15 at 09:16 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Garthox For This Useful Post:

Awesome,

Glad to hear that you managed and now you get to enjoy the v6 noise.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Awesome,

Glad to hear that you managed and now you get to enjoy the v6 noise.
    You bet I was enjoying that on the freeway home

Now I can happily tinker on her, working my way down the action list.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Garthox For This Useful Post:

I have a metal on metal grinding/scraping sound that speeds up with wheel rotation/speed.
    I've done a little reading and hoping to have a look later and if it is what I hope, brake rotor dust cover. Then its a 2min fix.

If not, then it'll be UV, propshaft etc

Garth
    I wonder if someone can help me identify this sound I have.
    Was hoping it was going to be the

If I can explain the sound, purely based on sound. I was hoping it was the brake rotor dust cover making contact with the rotor which doesn't seem the case now.

I jacked up the rear and placed the car in neutral.
    Removed the wheel and rotated by hand.

I have heard this sound before when I had the propshaft on my ranger reconditioned, but in that case it was a plate that was needing straightening, making contact closer to the gearbox.

It is a scraping sound similar to when you sharpen a knife, but happens once per rotation of the input to the diff for the same amount of rotation of the wheel hub i.e. scales up with driving speed/irrespective of the gear I am in. Always at say 12o clock

From looking on youtube, its not the clanking sound from a UJ (not saying it cant be that, I just havent Identified a video yet with that sound that I can reference in this post).

As the car was jacked up, I didn't want to get underneath right there (for obvious reasons).

Edit; adding to this, it has not just developed from nowhere, this sound was there from when I drove from CT (It was suggested back then it was only a brake clip that I could rectify in PE, but seems not the case now)

Any comments are welcome, thanks.
    Last edited by Garthox; 2020/05/15 at 02:57 PM.

I have heard this sound before when I had the propshaft on my ranger reconditioned, but in that case it was a plate that was needing straightening, making contact closer to the gearbox.

It is a scraping sound similar to when you sharpen a knife, but happens once per rotation of the input to the diff for the same amount of rotation of the wheel hub i.e. scales up with driving speed/irrespective of the gear I am in. Always at say 12o clock
    Howdy all,

Quick update on my Pajero endeavors.

Over the weekend, I was able to jack up the rear and while beneath the vehicle I rotated the wheel while in neutral.
    This allowed the diff to turn as well as the propshaft.

I then discovered the sound wasn't at my diff that I previously thought when I worked from the outside of the vehicle.
    In fact it is from the gearbox output shaft cover.

It makes exactly the same sheet metal sliding sound as what the brake disc cover makes when it has something rubbing.

I maneuvered the cover (what looks line a half a can) around until where I could rotate the wheel/propshaft and no longer hear the scraping.
    Looking inside the UJ flange was slightly out of concentric meaning it would have always had a slight interference with the cover (when it was in its "correct" position). We are taking a few mm here.

I am really pleased that it wasn't a "major" fix that was giving me anxiety lol

As the cover could eventually move due to vibrations etc, what I have done is make a bracket that bolts to the one guard with a bolt I am using as a set screw with the same on the opposite side.
    Effectively these set screws will be at 3 points with the aim to better clamp on the cover.

I was also successful / lucky when fiddling with the radio that doesn't work and checking all fuses. I got my Clock, Radio antenna, Aircon (Basically the center console and interior room lighting) all working again. I suspect a bad earth/ground.
    I am still adamant to pinpoint the exact cause, but for now I'm happy as a camper.

Went for a drive yesterday evening and chuffed with the weekends progress.

Next on my list is to get a transmission oil temp gauge that I'll put in the loop to give me a peace of mind reference when I am driving.
    Have now seen the Madman EMS3 on (https://www.performanceproducts.co.za/madman) going for R3250 (still need then to get the temp senders etc.)

Of course any recommendations for alternative units I am all ears. the advantage of the EMS though is it incorporates multiple sensors into one dial that can keep the dash neat.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Garthox For This Useful Post:

Howdy all,

As the cover could eventually move due to vibrations etc, what I have done is make a bracket that bolts to the one guard with a bolt I am using as a set screw with the same on the opposite side.
    Effectively these set screws will be at 3 points with the aim to better clamp on the cover.
    Glad to hear it was an easy fix. Won't these "set screws" now lead to an imbalance on the propshaft which could lead to vibration and wear issues later on in life?

CATS
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Cats View Post
    Glad to hear it was an easy fix. Won't these "set screws" now lead to an imbalance on the propshaft which could lead to vibration and wear issues later on in life?

CATS
    I see what you're saying and may be I didn't explain clearly enough.

The setscrews locate on the outside of the cover that surrounds the the UJ, but are stationary relative to the gearbox (i.e. it presses on a recess like a shroud) and the propshaft rotates in that cavity.
    But being pressed on, it doesn't line up with the slightly "unbalanced flange"
    so now the screws/bracket hold that cover better around the UJ.

It was too tight in there to really take a pic, but I can have a check when the dew dries on the lawn or try make a sketch to add to a post for if someone ever has that issue.
    Last edited by Garthox; 2020/05/18 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Added sketch

Hi All,

So i had noticed on my drive back from CT on the initial purchase of my Pajero that the footwell became warm (it may have been a two fold issue, so will see about that)

Basically it was really warm near the footwell, and I had suspected at the time it was the overheating gearbox.
    Gearbox fixed, no real heat. but I havent had the chance to do a long drive to really buid up heat so to say.

I have read online about the exhaust running quite close to the underbody (between the gearbox and driver footwell). Which seems reasonable.

I don't see the need right now for a new exhaust. but should that time come, I'll look into spacing it a bit better (if not why not).

So I havd tried calling a few places to see who might be able to supply me a sheet of that heatshield type dimpled plate material that i can use tin snips and shape as I require to see if this can reduce the minor warmth I now feel.
    No-one has that, and the self adhesive type seems rather expensive (might work like a bomb, I haven't really researched that yet).
    (tried Midas, Powerflow, Speedyquip, autostyling)

Any comments / suggestions welcome.

All I am after is to improve little by little as I go along with my Paj.
    If any owners who have owned the v6 tell me that is perfectly normal, then I am okay to live with it.

Thanks for reading
    1999 Pajero 3500 v6 LWB (Poncho) - Overland/camping project (Build log)

2006 Ford Ranger XLT Double Cab - Daily

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast