Who is this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who is this?

Default Who is this?

Is this you Albert? Or who else?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Who is this?

Pretty sure Albert would have a LL sticker somewhere?
    04 Discovery II V8 Auto - The Duchess

Not sure what you mean by “LL sticker”

I am talking about AlbertvL who I know live some where near me....I think.

I wouldn't reply in the affirmative if you showed my registration to the world on the internet....
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Thought you meant the other Albert.
    04 Discovery II V8 Auto - The Duchess

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    I wouldn't reply in the affirmative if you showed my registration to the world on the internet....
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Why?
    It makes the Landy a target for the oil companies
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Weird roofrack
    '89 LR 110 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Why?
    For one, insurance companies will have checked that number and noted the condition of the vehicle. Surprise when they pay out partially due to condition of vehicle - Even if done up in future to beautiful condition. Ever noticed that insurance has become more individual? They even track your driving style with algorithms and know when it's not you driving.

Ever noticed that even google earth and any other pics that are public have the registrations blanked? To do with privacy and even the police allowed to look up number plates have to be cleared now. Read up on data gathering and the Cambridge Analytica case which started with Obama and now Trump. It may sound like nothing but is real even in SA. We just haven't been exposed enough for it to hit home yet.

Here's an example; - If you have a Discovery medical aid and credit card, they know what and where you eat. The algorithm adjusts your premium automatically. Data on individuals is far more valuable in the social media age and individuals and not groups (eg, White males are more prone to heart attacks is now Joe Blogs is more prone to heart attacks). It's why you receive targeted advertising.

Apply for credit and you'll be surprised how much they know about you - even past addresses and phone numbers. Experian (Credit evaluator) was one of the companies that sold information to Cambridge analytica. And people think they are not gathering data in Africa but they are. The reason Europe now has the right to be forgotten enshrined on data gathering. We don't even have a data protection act yet.

It may not affect or bother you, but knowing about targeted advertising and data use to disadvantage the provider, I keep my life under wraps.
    Last edited by Olyfboer; 2019/12/31 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Add
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

For one, insurance companies will have checked that number and noted the condition of the vehicle. Surprise when they pay out partially due to condition of vehicle - Even if done up in future to beautiful condition. Ever noticed that insurance has become more individual? They even track your driving style with algorithms and know when it's not you driving.

Ever noticed that even google earth and any other pics that are public have the registrations blanked? To do with privacy and even the police allowed to look up number plates have to be cleared now. Read up on data gathering and the Cambridge Analytica case which started with Obama and now Trump. It may sound like nothing but is real even in SA. We just haven't been exposed enough for it to hit home yet.

Here's an example; - If you have a Discovery medical aid and credit card, they know what and where you eat. The algorithm adjusts your premium automatically. Data on individuals is far more valuable in the social media age and individuals and not groups (eg, White males are more prone to heart attacks is now Joe Blogs is more prone to heart attacks). It's why you receive targeted advertising.

Apply for credit and you'll be surprised how much they know about you - even past addresses and phone numbers. Experian (Credit evaluator) was one of the companies that sold information to Cambridge analytica. And people think they are not gathering data in Africa but they are. The reason Europe now has the right to be forgotten enshrined on data gathering. We don't even have a data protection act yet.

It may not affect or bother you, but knowing about targeted advertising and data use to disadvantage the provider, I keep my life under wraps.
    Looks like they already know everything about you. You drive in the public domain with an unblanked number plate. Hiding it here makes little difference.

Agree with Mike - weird roofrack

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    Looks like they already know everything about you. You drive in the public domain with an unblanked number plate. Hiding it here makes little difference.

Agree with Mike - weird roofrack
    You're one of millions driving around with unblanked number plates. Highly unlikely someone with an interest in you is going to be around when you pass. Here it is permanently recorded for anyone to anonymously take note and look up at their leisure to see if you're of interest. And even have the photo on file for when you happen to come around.

Then they might as well sit on the highway and take down all the reg numbers of cars passing by. Ever noticed that everyone can see reg numbers of cars on the road..
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2016 Audi A3 1.8 TFSI SE S-Tronic 3Dr

Have we found the owner yet?
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

You're one of millions driving around with unblanked number plates. Highly unlikely someone with an interest in you is going to be around when you pass. Here it is permanently recorded for anyone to anonymously take note and look up at their leisure to see if you're of interest. And even have the photo on file for when you happen to come around.
    I'm certainly not that paranoid. But then I've been accused of being too trusting.... It actually reminds me of being told not to take photos without permission of the car which rammed my car from the back while waiting to enter a roundabout. I told them to stay at home if they are scared of having photos taken of them while in a public place, and carried on taking photos for record purposes. I'm also not worried of my dashcam recording continuously and divulging info when necessary

And to think it started with a pic and a question of who drives the Landy in the picture and turned into a debate on data gathering because of a number plate......

If I could quote from Asterix comics.......these "forumites" are crazy.
    Henk
    So understand
    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
    Face up, make your stand
    And realize you're living in the golden years

Im sure if I flashed a R100 note etc round at SANRAL or NATIS etc
    I could get a copy of their database!
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. : Own the road...Any road
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8... The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP... Simply Classic...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ... A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    Then they might as well sit on the highway and take down all the reg numbers of cars passing by. Ever noticed that everyone can see reg numbers of cars on the road..
    Your query answered in the post above yours.

We don't even have a data protection act yet.

Actually we do: the POPI Act

https://www.gov.za/documents/protect...nformation-act

However, it is not effectively enforced because most companies don't bother, or do not know about this.

In the IT software development industry it is a different matter - it is adhered to all over the world (each country has their own version, called the GDPR = South Africa version is closely similar to Europe), enforced strictly, otherwise companies will be slapped with heavy fines.

So what's the big deal? ...... you drive with it around all day for everybody to see??

Quote Originally Posted by GroenHoender View Post
    Actually we do: the POPI Act

https://www.gov.za/documents/protect...nformation-act

However, it is not effectively enforced because most companies don't bother, or do not know about this.

In the IT software development industry it is a different matter - it is adhered to all over the world (each country has their own version, called the GDPR = South Africa version is closely similar to Europe), enforced strictly, otherwise companies will be slapped with heavy fines.
    POPI Act is from 2013.

But is has of yet not been implemented yet. So unable to enforce.
    Google implementation
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast