Disco on last legs, where to now? - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Disco on last legs, where to now?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    Ek verstaan nie jou honest Toyota wens nie, is Toyota eienaars dan oneerlik?

En om jou vraag te beantwoord oor die LD section, daar is nie enige threads om te lees oor Toyota wat jou so in die steek laat nie, so dit is maar net lees stof vir die van ons wat nog werk die tyd van die jaar. Die OP het ook gevra oor enige ander voertuie so doe OT bly nie net by LR nie.
    Chris its not worth it to engage with keyboard warriors.

To the OP.Hope you get a vehicle you can enjoy and not have constant worries.Try the Pajero.I see lots of good comments on the Pajero LWB.
    2015 Land Cruiser 79 D/C V8 Diesel Turbo
    1983 Suzuki SJ 410 SOA.
    2000 Prado 90 SWB.
    Bush Lapa Boskriek No 607 - Die Kriek

Quote Originally Posted by FranDurban View Post
    Thanks for the effort. I called him and though he called me love, he said he won't work on these cars as too many come backs with all their faults! Asked him what carhe recommends and he said any other car. 😄
    That's the best advice you have had!

For some peace of mind switch to a Jap SUV that is well maintained and fits your budget.

For me it's worth giving up the comfy seats for the peace of mind.

Happy new year

The part itself is R9,082 before vat. I checked with the Durban dealer and its no cheaper, so that's the shock price. The dealers are expensive on labour, hence the R15,000 including VAT. I also already paid a deposit of R7500 for the shock before they will even order today. However if the compressor needs to be replaced I'll need another cheaper labour mechanic.
    There is a crowd in Cape Town who claim to do air suspension bits at good prices, maybe give them a call?
    http://www.airsuspension.co.za/land-rover-specific/

You should be able to beat those R9k prices anyway, if you try the non OEM suppliers.
    Just for a shot in the dark, try Dave at JLR4X4 in CT, 0718801499 or 0210071323.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Not a mechanic, but can those air suspensions thingymabobs not be replaced with hard coil springs
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Bottom line with any 4x4 vehicle, excluding weekend warriors on steroids used to test your skills on trails, should always be one word: RELIABILITY. Without the latter, one always feels hesitant to venture out to places for which the vehicle was actually intended.

But increased reliability can unfortunately only be attained through decreased complexity (and lesser comfort, it seems).

So, some of our manufacturers (e.g Toyota, Mitsubishi) have gone for the middle ground, with reliability still a priority, but lesser complexity and comfort. They sell many cars and so are rated "boring" (e.g. Fortuner).

After approximately 45 years of driving different 4x4 vehicles in off-road conditions for work purposes (often alone in some desolate places), I have found my sweet spot - the Pajero LWB. Pretty good on most counts where it matters.

Note that, having owned a 1983 Alfa for close on 20 years, and two Subaru WRX/STi's, I am all for a bit of eccentricity with regard to car ownership, but 4x4-wise, one just cannot compromise on reliability.
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB
    1996 Conquest 160i RS

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Not a mechanic, but can those air suspensions thingymabobs not be replaced with hard coil springs
    On some vehicles, they can, but all too often, people forget or ignore that those air springs are rubber components and as such, are a consumable, albeit an expensive one.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

There is truth in your comment sbout maintenance as it does hurt me, but I've done all my maintenance and services whenever required. My car is not neglected. I do think R65,000 over two months on relatively minor items is a lot. Are you saying that I should expect to pay this too regularly on a LC200? Hopefully not at 6 month service intervals like my Disco.
    All it comes down to is homework.

My VW Passat TDi has 4 injectors at R 8000 each. The clutch pack on the gearbox is R 12 000, and with that will have to go the flywheel at R 8000 one I need to replace. The mechatronics unit is R 25 000 at the very least if cannot be rapaired.

I already budget to have R 40 000 to spend at the 180 000 km "service". I will have the motor pulled, replace the flywheel, clutch pack, all the ratdiator pipes, engine mountings etc. Most people thinks I am mad, but that is good money for another 180 000km.

Yes R 65 000 is a lot of money, but it is not as if this will be a continuous expense.

My dad has a D3, and had to drop R 30 000 on the suspension a few years ago, and also had the auto box and torque converter done for R 30 000. It is now 13 years old and it is a lovely, reliable vehicle.

Air suspension for example, is a high maintenance item on any vehicle that has it - Toyotas included.

You really really NEED to pull up a list of major breakdowns a vehicle can have.

Let say the LC over heats - which is a harsh reality for any older vehicle - what will a new motor cost you?

Lets say the auto box gets fried - once again a harsh reality on an older vehicle - what will it cost to replace?

Would you like that vehicle enough to stomach repairs should it come to that?

Service items like brakes, discs, suspension components like shocks, bushes and controller arms?

They all have a finite life regardless of vehicle.

If you do not need the superior off road abilities of a D4 or a LC200, get youself something that is sold in large numbers in the local market.

A VW Amarok for example shares lots of parts with other VW vehicles in the range. You can buy a brand new one if you want for the price of a used LC.

As cars became more sophisticated, so have the prices to fix them.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

"...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    Ek verstaan nie jou honest Toyota wens nie, is Toyota eienaars dan oneerlik?
    Wel, dis godsonmoontlik dat 'n mensgemaakte ding nie breek nie.

Jy sal my seker nie glo as ek jou s dat die eerste kar wat my my vakansie gekos het, 'n baie goed opgepaste Toyota Camry 300 SEi was met 180 000km op die klok nie. Oorverhit. En Camrys kan mos nie breek nie.

Ek het baie ou karre in my lewe besit. Volkswagens, Nissans, Toyotas, Opels, Land Rovers, en Audis. De ieder en elk van hulle het maar sy liefies gesoek.

As die goed begin oud raak, dan soek hulle aandag. Daar is eenvoudig niks wat jy daaraan kan doen behalwe om dit te aanvaar nie.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

"...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

How about a 2nd hand Touareg?
    It might just be my impression, but it seems there are less of them (% wise) flatbededed than Discoveries. Sure, it's again a complex, modern SUV and requires it's maintenance, but it might tick many more boxes than any DC would for you.

Speak to Nys, Kortgat, MariusFourie and Stephan van Tonder among others on this forum.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Would dearly love some opinions to help me choose a car.

My 2010TDV6 Disco leaked its air suspension at Kosi Bay and yet again had to be flat bedded to a garage. Love love this car in town but it always breaks down or goes into 'restricted performance' on long journeys or rough terrain. It is worse now, but the truth is it had issues from the start. Also poor service in Durban, so reluctant to buy a newer one. I cant afford a Disco 5 anyway but trouble is when testing eg the Fortuner it's just way way not in any way as lovely as my Disco to drive.

HWAMBO has suggested a new Land cruiser 76, but I fear that's going to kill me in town for lack of comfort. I could instead take the 200 but I see its on its way out for being overpriced for old styling etc etc. Still mine would be second hand, so better value.

Or should I consider something else entirely? We are campers and do prefer nature reserves so we do need something capable and ok on sand, but not an extreme 4x4.

Another option HWAMBO suggested is to trade his current Ford bakkie for a double cab Toyota Hilux he can still use for work, and to transport 4 people when going on holiday and I just keep my DISCO as a loved town car/ trade in due course.

Weve had a hilux before so we know these are reliable. How comfortable and spacious will this seem in the back seats?
    It's a hijacking risk, but it won't be my town driving car.
    Volkswagen Touareg 7P ( from 2011 onwards)

Just completed a 5000km round trip from eswatini to Cape via karoo ( mainly back roads) with my 8 year old V8 tdi touareg.

amazing vehicle for road trips luxury and comfortable and packed in a family of 4 no issues with space to bring back wine. - not one issue at 153k km on the clock- major service at dealer at 150k km cost R 5998

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Enquire about doing the conversion to coil springs if its possible. This will eliminate the air strut, compressor, valve and piping issues from the future scenario.

You will just need to select the height you want and understand that it will always be at the height. The access/egress and extended heights are all great party tricks but unnecessary although I would hazard that the terrain response is dependent on having the air system in place
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

This is such a busy thread! My 2cw:
    A double cab is uncomfortable to camp with if not kitted out with drawer systems, etc. Also a pain to park. Keep it SUV!
    I assume you spend several holidays in northern KZN and the Kosi trip was not a once-off. That would immediately rule out Toyota for me due to the hijack/theft risk. A gent from Empangeni was recently killed near Jozini for his Hilux.
    I agree fully with the previous posts from the dyed-in-the-wool overlanders: for reliability in the bush you'll have to skimp on gadgets and royal robotic treatment.

What you need to look at IMO:
    Pajero Exceed lwb (Prado might even be better but - Toyota and the security risks...)
    Jeep Grand Cherokee. Lovely vehicles nowadays!
    Touareg. If 2nd hand, make SURE about condition and service history! These can also be nighmarishly expensive to maintain if everything's not 100%.
    The bakkie-based SUV's: Pajero Sport, Everest, Isuzu MU-X.
    You'll need ground clearance for sandy Maputaland. That would rule out other wonderful SUV's like Sorento, Santa F, CRV, etc.
    With an X5, Q7, etc you'll probably be back to the original trouble in no time.

Good luck and keep us posted!
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

I chose to go for an older, petrol v8 Touareg because, as a rule, they have lower mileage on them.

I would rather pay at the fuel pump than at the mechanic.

Having access to a certain Stephan van Tonder, we are happy to hop in the car and go anywhere, however, I do not know of anyone in Durban as skilled and trustworthy.
    Errol Cornelius

Citroen C5
    Touareg V8
    Audi A6 3.0 Avant

I know you might be gatvol of Landies by now, but also consider a Freelander 2!

On this community, it seems the best 4x4 is the Pajero but I do not see so many on the roads! IS it like the Freelander2 a best kept secret? Don't get me wrong, I love the Pajero and would chose it over any Fortuner or Prado.

Quote Originally Posted by Sed View Post
    On this community, it seems the best 4x4 is the Pajero but I do not see so many on the roads! IS it like the Freelander2 a best kept secret? Don't get me wrong, I love the Pajero and would chose it over any Fortuner or Prado.
    'Best' is relative. For peace of mind motoring and overlanding, it is one of the best. The interior is comfortable and extremely durable. Performance and economy is good but not quite up to 2020 standards. In standard form it is a bit low for serious off-roading but a lift is a simple job. It is not as refined as a Disco, as powerful as a Touareg or has the dealership network of Toyota, but it's extremely capable for what it is. Think of it as an old-school tough 4x4 with all the modern necessities, not a cutting-edge magic carpet brimming with the latest gizmos.

I agree, I certainly wouldnt call it the best
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Quote Originally Posted by zeek View Post
    We have the 2019 2.4 fortuner coming from gen3 pajero. And it is much much more comfortable. Tows better with loads more power. Love the car it just eats up the km's
    Agree. New Fortuner is easily as comfortable / safe etc as a 2010 Disco 3.
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

The one thing to look out for on VW Touareg/Audi Q7/5 is the spare wheel!!No normal size spare and for what you do that is not good.The first gen Touareg has normal spare.

On the disco it is not easy to change to coils.The XS came with coils and no TR!

If you want to stay with Disco comfort maybe look for a low milage D4 XS?
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

This forum have tons of info. Most of the problems on each and every 4x4 out there has been covered in some thread.

Search each of the vehicles you have in mind and see what pops up.

I rather live with a less comfortable ride and get home every time without any breakdowns.

A good indication of vehicle reliability is to see what on average goes wrong with the vehicle at around 300k km. I have owned several 4x4's which covered 500k km with none other spend than normal services and tires.

They use the excuse you must remember it has 200k km on the clock so you can expect to replace stuff or spend money is not always true when you buy the right 4x4.

Selling time usually arrives for me te moment I need to spend serious money. You do not need to ruin yourself financially to be loyal to any brand.

I sometimes spend up to two years researching vehicles before I make a choice.
    Last edited by grips; 2019/12/31 at 05:19 PM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast