Disco on last legs, where to now? - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Disco on last legs, where to now?

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    For maybe a second and third opinion- a Landy mate of mine suggested this morning you chat to the following guys:

1) Ricky Sparks is based in Empangeni and a known Landy guru - 082 372 2392
    2) Rob Taylor, based in Balito who has sorted out air suspension on friend of my mate's ML - 083 657 7995

Hope you get sorted.
    Thanks for the effort. I called him and though he called me love, he said he won't work on these cars as too many come backs with all their faults! Asked him what carhe recommends and he said any other car. 😄

The part itself is R9,082 before vat. I checked with the Durban dealer and its no cheaper, so that's the shock price. The dealers are expensive on labour, hence the R15,000 including VAT. I also already paid a deposit of R7500 for the shock before they will even order today. However if the compressor needs to be replaced I'll need another cheaper labour mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    OP, the dealership where your car is booked in, is the Ford dealership also. See if they can't do a deal on an Everest for you perhaps.

I have friends ( three) who were badly bitten by these Discos, if you asked their advice, petrol and matches would pop up in the conversation somewhere.
    I tried driving the Everest. It was fine, but same problem I had driving the Fortuner- not damn fine.
    Last edited by FranDurban; 2019/12/31 at 07:45 AM.

Sorry to hear of your problems and can really put a damper on a good holiday. As regards service, in addition to Riaan's recommendations maybe (if you haven't) try The Centre in Durban North. Some time ago now Paul told me they had focused on LR air suspension to the extent that the agents referred vehicles to them. But times and people may have changed.

Smile Re: Disco on last legs, where to now?

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    Why not an Amarok?
    Its comfy and a bakkie and can be used for trips etc.
    Well instead of a Hilux, I drove an Amarok about two years ago. Probably my poor skills but I'd have to get an automatic for sure as I felt there were constant gear changes necessary. HWAMBO was ok with it. Probably why SWAMBO is more truthful.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    There is no doubt that when a disco is working it is a great vehicle. I like my amarok, but it is a big bulky vehicle that I am not sure I would recommend as a daily driver. Horrible to park and difficult to fit into some places but for everything else it is great.

I think the mitsubishi pajero sport is also worth a look? I am not sure about pricing of parts and spares availability, but I don't think you need that many spares on them. This would be a small step down from a D4, but would probably carry less hijack risk than a fortuner and give you good service if you want to stick with an SUV.

Generally the SUVs are much shorter than bakkies and this makes them much easier to live with in parking lots at shopping centres etc. Obviously your stuff in the back does not get as dusty as you obviously travel a lot of dirt roads if you stay in Kosi Bay. The small sacrifice in creature comforts is easily worth the trade off for reliability in my mind.

Despite the naysayers here, Landrover is well known for poor reliability and even if you have a new vehicle in warrantee you still don't want to be traded in that part of the world. I would highly suggest you stick with something more trustworthy, probably from the japanese or german stables.
    I actually stay in Durban, but car broke down in Kosi. Agree I'm terrible with the shape of a long bakkie. I'm only 5 foot 2 and far prefer an SUV which also has the ability to raise the seats. I was wondering about apajero as so lauded on this forum. Might try a drive.

I have never owned a new car in my life and generally I got great service, aparet from my Audi Allroad, which I decided to cut it short after only 3 months of ownership.

A D4 is a car with a LOT of gadgets, and you need to understand that you buy a R 1.5 million car for say R 300 000.

To maintain a car like this, does take a different approach. If for example the air suspension acts up, it is one of of those systems where you say lets replace it all, and get it over with. Don't try and save R 10 000 only to have one by the other comonent act up because of wear.

Same if you lift the body to have the timing chain done. While you are at it, replace all the coolant hoses, the turbo core, maybe some of the hydraulic pipes etc - things that is impossible to do without the body lifted. The labour is already paid for. It would be stupid to try and save a few thousand in parts and not leverage the labour.

I bought a D2 TD5 recently in very good condition, and decided spending R 50 000 in repairs was worth it on the car. The comfort, off road ability and finish it offers met compared to say a Fortuner, is just in a different class - and I would pay a lot more for a Fortuner.

Not too long ago, I saw a D4 next to the road - overheated. I walked over and found that they had assitance from a mechanic. However, one peek under the bonnet and I was shocked in the state of neglect everything was. Perished rubbers, butchered wiring. That owner simply got what he deserved.

If you are shy for doing maintenance, then you have to buy yourself a simpler vehicle and also scratch a 200 series Cruiser from your list.

If I was you, I would have a serious look at an Amarok. Exellent riding comfort. Well finished. It will get you where you want off road. But a Fortuner, please no.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

"...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

Quote Originally Posted by mudgrubber View Post
    Sorry to hear of your problems and can really put a damper on a good holiday. As regards service, in addition to Riaan's recommendations maybe (if you haven't) try The Centre in Durban North. Some time ago now Paul told me they had focused on LR air suspension to the extent that the agents referred vehicles to them. But times and people may have changed.
    They are closed at Christmas but that is where I usually send my car. Dont know anybody else. When I first went there they had a scruffy garage in town. Now they are plush in the north and business is booming. More knowledgeable and a little cheaper than the dealers on the labour. Not as much as you'd hope as people are queuing to get in and then your parts warranty is halved.

Quote Originally Posted by FranDurban View Post
    Thanks for the effort. I called him and though he called me love, he said he won't work on these cars as too many come backs with all their faults! Asked him what carhe recommends and he said any other car. 😄
    At least he is a honest mechanic

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Consider a Pajero Long Wheel Base

I actually stay in Durban, but car broke down in Kosi. Agree I'm terrible with the shape of a long bakkie. I'm only 5 foot 2 and far prefer an SUV which also has the ability to raise the seats. I was wondering about apajero as so lauded on this forum. Might try a drive.
    My missus ( she is a shorty too ) drives our LWB Pajero Gen4 and one of the many things she loves is the height one sits at and the big glass house, making it very easy to drive and maneuver in traffic and parking due to the all round visibility. She battles with the Triton bakkie we also have.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    One of the old school okes Chris, have fished with him many moons ago and I trust his opinion. If he says nee dankie then there is good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    Incompetent mechanic I would say. Ther are some who can keep them going.

Wish there were more honest Toyota owners.

Wonder why they spend so much time in the Land Rover section?
    Last edited by biltong; 2019/12/31 at 08:30 AM.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

"...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

Default Disco on last legs, where to now?

I would definitely have a look at a Prado if I was in your situation.

Or

Hold out a bit for the D5 to get slightly cheaper. The D4 was a huge improvement in reliability over the D3 and I believe the D5 has done the same for the D4. The looks are subjective but the D5 is lighter by quite a margin with supposedly improved suspension which should aid in longevity and ability of suspension.

They seem to be doing ok in AUS

Last edited by pjf110; 2019/12/31 at 08:42 AM.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW G650 xChallenge

'If you are shy for doing maintenance, then you have to buy yourself a simpler vehicle and also scratch a 200 series Cruiser from your list.'

There is truth in your comment sbout maintenance as it does hurt me, but I've done all my maintenance and services whenever required. My car is not neglected. I do think R65,000 over two months on relatively minor items is a lot. Are you saying that I should expect to pay this too regularly on a LC200? Hopefully not at 6 month service intervals like my Disco.

I'd be buying one still under at least extended warranty so my main concern is that it should not break down on a long trip or with a bit of offroading. I see you can get a 2017/18 GX for R800,000. Depends what I get for my Disco to add to the deposit 🤣🤣🤣

I may have to uber but I'm going to go drive one, plus a Prado as others are agreeing that's a good bet. Then we'll compare to the option of swopping our Ford Ranger single cab for Hilux double cab, also recommended here, thanks guys. And maybe also test the Pajero.

If it can help, I had a Disco3 and Disco4. Loved the cars! I downgraded to a G Professional. I lost a lot in luxury but get a big smile on my face when driving it. I sat in the BIL Disco5. Very nice vehicle but it will never go offroad unfortunately.

I did not like the old Fortuner but did not test the new one. It is a boring car in my opinion. You could try the 76 if you are prepared to go for simplicity!

I am glad I do not have a high mileage Disco anymore.

Sitting roughly in the same boat(car) as you (just with less problems for now).
    I hope to hold on to my V8 D4 for another few years and then probably try and move to a new defender.
    Why not try and look at a well kept low mileage V8 D4? You also cut out the crank risk.

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post

Ek verstaan nie jou honest Toyota wens nie, is Toyota eienaars dan oneerlik?

En om jou vraag te beantwoord oor die LD section, daar is nie enige threads om te lees oor Toyota wat jou so in die steek laat nie, so dit is maar net lees stof vir die van ons wat nog werk die tyd van die jaar. Die OP het ook gevra oor enige ander voertuie so doe OT bly nie net by LR nie.

Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

A Prado is probably the best allrounder for your needs, it slots in between the Disco and the 76 in terms of comfort, features and reliability.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

'If you are shy for doing maintenance, then you have to buy yourself a simpler vehicle and also scratch a 200 series Cruiser from your list.'

There is truth in your comment sbout maintenance as it does hurt me, but I've done all my maintenance and services whenever required. My car is not neglected. I do think R65,000 over two months on relatively minor items is a lot. Are you saying that I should expect to pay this too regularly on a LC200? Hopefully not at 6 month service intervals like my Disco.

I'd be buying one still under at least extended warranty so my main concern is that it should not break down on a long trip or with a bit of offroading. I see you can get a 2017/18 GX for R800,000. Depends what I get for my Disco to add to the deposit 🤣🤣🤣

I may have to uber but I'm going to go drive one, plus a Prado as others are agreeing that's a good bet. Then we'll compare to the option of swopping our Ford Ranger single cab for Hilux double cab, also recommended here, thanks guys. And maybe also test the Pajero.
    Fran, to answer your question on the seat adjustment, the Hilux seat does adjust up and down.
    And no, the 200 will not cost you nearly that in maintenance, read up on them and you will see that even the older 200's don't give any problems really.

Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post

Sigh.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast