Disco on last legs, where to now?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Disco on last legs, where to now?

Would dearly love some opinions to help me choose a car.

My 2010TDV6 Disco leaked its air suspension at Kosi Bay and yet again had to be flat bedded to a garage. Love love this car in town but it always breaks down or goes into 'restricted performance' on long journeys or rough terrain. It is worse now, but the truth is it had issues from the start. Also poor service in Durban, so reluctant to buy a newer one. I cant afford a Disco 5 anyway but trouble is when testing eg the Fortuner it's just way way not in any way as lovely as my Disco to drive.

HWAMBO has suggested a new Land cruiser 76, but I fear that's going to kill me in town for lack of comfort. I could instead take the 200 but I see its on its way out for being overpriced for old styling etc etc. Still mine would be second hand, so better value.

Or should I consider something else entirely? We are campers and do prefer nature reserves so we do need something capable and ok on sand, but not an extreme 4x4.

Another option HWAMBO suggested is to trade his current Ford bakkie for a double cab Toyota Hilux he can still use for work, and to transport 4 people when going on holiday and I just keep my DISCO as a loved town car/ trade in due course.

Weve had a hilux before so we know these are reliable. How comfortable and spacious will this seem in the back seats?
    It's a hijacking risk, but it won't be my town driving car.
    Last edited by FranDurban; 2019/12/30 at 04:05 PM.

Default Re: Disco on last legs, where to now?

Sorry to hear about your latest issue. I can relate totally after > 20 odd years with Discos and Range Rovers. Always something on a trip to the point where I just stopped using them, which made ownership quite pointless.

You could perhaps put coils springs in and dump the air suspension but I am sure it will be somethimg else on the next trip.

The double cab proposal of HWAMBO has merit and should be investigated further. Keep the Disco but perhaps get rid of it.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

You will not make a mistake with a gd6 double cab. I find it quite comfortable. Been on a Namibia trip of +- 6000 km and it was very comfortable. I would get rid of the landy cause it could cost you a lot on the long run. The hijack risk will be there for any premium vehicle.
    Last edited by antonagel; 2019/12/30 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FranDurban View Post
    Would dearly love some opinions to help me choose a car.

My 2010TDV6 Disco leaked its air suspension at Kosi Bay and yet again had to be flat bedded to a garage. Love love this car in town but it always breaks down or goes into 'restricted performance' on long journeys or rough terrain. It is worse now, but the truth is it had issues from the start. Also poor service in Durban, so reluctant to buy a newer one. I cant afford a Disco 5 anyway but trouble is when testing eg the Fortuner it's just way way not in any way as lovely as my Disco to drive.

HWAMBO has suggested a new Land cruiser 76, but I fear that's going to kill me in town for lack of comfort. I could instead take the 200 but I see its on its way out for being overpriced for old styling etc etc. Still mine would be second hand, so better value.

Or should I consider something else entirely? We are campers and do prefer nature reserves so we do need something capable and ok on sand, but not an extreme 4x4.

Another option HWAMBO suggested is to trade his current Ford bakkie for a double cab Toyota Hilux he can still use for work, and to transport 4 people when going on holiday and I just keep my DISCO as a loved town car/ trade in due course.

Weve had a hilux before so we know these are reliable. How comfortable and spacious will this seem in the back seats?
    It's a hijacking risk, but it won't be my town driving car.
    Who is HWAMBO?
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Who is HWAMBO?
    He who always must be obeyed

:-)

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    He who always must be obeyed

:-)
    Ahhh...... First time I see the H being used.
    Sent from my iPhone

We have the 2019 2.4 fortuner coming from gen3 pajero. And it is much much more comfortable. Tows better with loads more power. Love the car it just eats up the km's
    Riku
    2011 Echo4 with Blinkgat Nose cone and

Quote Originally Posted by zeek View Post
    We have the 2019 2.4 fortuner coming from gen3 pajero. And it is much much more comfortable. Tows better with loads more power. Love the car it just eats up the km's
    Also on original suspension and much more economical. On 60 liters do the same distance as pajero on 85 liters
    Riku
    2011 Echo4 with Blinkgat Nose cone and

Sadly your conundrum is well documented in these here interwebs.

The Disco is just that good a car and anything else pales in comparison.

I am also a statistic. Looking at a replacement and will likely do so in 2020 and will look for a low mile D4 with remaining warranty & SP.

Or

Don't be a statistic, make the switch, get on with your life and buy a Fortuner or Pajero or Whatever. All superb cars...but still not a Disco.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
    1998 Defender 110 Tdi 300
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

Yes, it had to be Hwambo, 'cause who knew women can also own 4x4s 😉

Thanks guys for the commiserations and advice.

I was going to trade up to a newer Disco a year ago but as Estee alluded to, you need peace of mind and even a warranty doesn't give you that on a long trip.

Since xmas eve my car is in the Landrover garage in Empangeni (closest garage to Kosi) until 10th January waiting for it's part. The air spring/bag replacement with labour is R15, 000 but they say the damage to the compressor which they'll only know on changing the bag will set me back R30,000. And last month I spent R20,000 on bearings, brakes and service.😩

Nobody has any comments on buying a second hand landcruiser. Maybe even a Prado.

What mileage is on your disco? Those prices are insane

Prado.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Yes, it had to be Hwambo, 'cause who knew women can also own 4x4s ��

Thanks guys for the commiserations and advice.

I was going to trade up to a newer Disco a year ago but as Estee alluded to, you need peace of mind and even a warranty doesn't give you that on a long trip.

Since xmas eve my car is in the Landrover garage in Empangeni (closest garage to Kosi) until 10th January waiting for it's part. The air spring/bag replacement with labour is R15, 000 but they say the damage to the compressor which they'll only know on changing the bag will set me back R30,000. And last month I spent R20,000 on bearings, brakes and service.��

Nobody has any comments on buying a second hand landcruiser. Maybe even a Prado.
    I bought 2 front struts complete for my D3 @ R3000 each new. How can someone charge R15000? Sounds a little odd. Maybe you are victimizing yourself.
    Last edited by Henkus; 2019/12/31 at 05:04 AM.
    Henk
    So understand
    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
    Face up, make your stand
    And realize you're living in the golden years

Quote Originally Posted by Henkus View Post
    I bought 2 front struts complete for my D3 @ R3000 each new. How can someone charge R15000? Sounds a little odd. Maybe you are victimizing yourself.
    Yip, agree, those sound like dealer prices.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

OP, the dealership where your car is booked in, is the Ford dealership also. See if they can't do a deal on an Everest for you perhaps.

I have friends ( three) who were badly bitten by these Discos, if you asked their advice, petrol and matches would pop up in the conversation somewhere.
    Last edited by Riaan van Wyk; 2019/12/31 at 05:57 AM.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

go test drive a prado in your budget

For maybe a second and third opinion- a Landy mate of mine suggested this morning you chat to the following guys:

1) Ricky Sparks is based in Empangeni and a known Landy guru - 082 372 2392
    2) Rob Taylor, based in Balito who has sorted out air suspension on friend of my mate's ML - 083 657 7995

Hope you get sorted.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Why not an Amarok?
    Its comfy and a bakkie and can be used for trips etc.
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2020 Nissan NP300 2.5TDi S/C

And last month I spent R20,000 on bearings, brakes and service.😩

A Land Cruiser 76 is nowhere near a Discovery in terms of comfort, but on the plus side, it will not let you down and maintenance cost will be a lot less. To give you an idea, a recent major service for my V6 pickup at a Toyota dealer was about R8500 and that included brake pad replacement.

Test drive one, you may just like it, otherwise something like a Prado or Pajero might just be to your liking.

There is no doubt that when a disco is working it is a great vehicle. I like my amarok, but it is a big bulky vehicle that I am not sure I would recommend as a daily driver. Horrible to park and difficult to fit into some places but for everything else it is great.

I think the mitsubishi pajero sport is also worth a look? I am not sure about pricing of parts and spares availability, but I don't think you need that many spares on them. This would be a small step down from a D4, but would probably carry less hijack risk than a fortuner and give you good service if you want to stick with an SUV.

Generally the SUVs are much shorter than bakkies and this makes them much easier to live with in parking lots at shopping centres etc. Obviously your stuff in the back does not get as dusty as you obviously travel a lot of dirt roads if you stay in Kosi Bay. The small sacrifice in creature comforts is easily worth the trade off for reliability in my mind.

Despite the naysayers here, Landrover is well known for poor reliability and even if you have a new vehicle in warrantee you still don't want to be traded in that part of the world. I would highly suggest you stick with something more trustworthy, probably from the japanese or german stables.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast