help wanted for 3 week itinerary

Default help wanted for 3 week itinerary

We arrive and depart from Lusaka from june 28 till juli 19. We are 2 adults and 2 children aged 12 and 14 and have rented a fully equiped tented 4x4 with city drive rent a car in Lusaka.
    I looked at the itinerary Ortelius made some years ago but I would like to change some things
    I would like to do South Luongwa, eventually North Luongwa, Kafue (Mc Brides seemed very good in Ortelius' report) and lower Zambezi.
    Could someone please indicate what would be a good itinerary so that we don't cover the same roads going and returning from Luangwa. (Petauka route as an alternative to Chipata route
    Any good recommendations on camp sites?
    We would definately do Wildlife Camp, Zikomo Lodge in South Luangwe
    Also Mvuu Lodge in Lower Zambezi but i presume a second Camp site in another part of LZNP would be worth considering
    Thanks for all of your advice !!!
    The Van Damme Family
    Belgium

Default Re: help wanted for 3 week itinerary

We wanted to travel from Petauke to Wildlife camp by-passing Chipata. We were advised not to by a number of people and eventually did not do it. i think it is a long slog without seeing very much but rural villages and will be a long day bouncing on very bad roads.
    The other camps you mention are good. (Wildlife at least 3 nights, I dont know other camps convenient to the Nsefu sector of SLNP so Zikomo 2 to 3 nights and Mvuu 3 to 4 nights.) Mvuu is great.
    There is no camping in LZNP but we noticed many campsites between Mvuu and the park. Maybe someone can recommend one.
    Be prepared for the monkeys in most camps.

Could someone please inform me what would be a good way to travel from South or North Luangwe to Kafue National park?
    For now we are thinking of this itinerary:
    Lusaka - Petauka (Chimwemwe Lodge 1N) - Malama Umoyo Camp 1N??- South Luangwa (Wildlife 3N and Zikomo Camp2N)
    Going to Kafue National Park (maybe thru North Luangwa? any advice is welcome)
    Kafue (McBrides 3N and Mapunga Bush Camp 2N)
    Lusaka (Eureka camp 1N) to lower Zambezi National Park (Mvuu lodhe 3N)
    This means we have 4 or 5 nights to fill inn (depends on stopping over in Malama or going directly to Wildlife camp)
    Thank a lot for your answers! I have read a lot on this forum but did not found the right answer, so hope someone will help!
    Sincereley,
    Fam Van Damme
    Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by xanax View Post
    Could someone please inform me what would be a good way to travel from South or North Luangwe to Kafue National park?
    Lusaka - Petauka (Chimwemwe Lodge 1N) - Malama Umoyo Camp 1N??- South Luangwa (Wildlife 3N and Zikomo Camp2N)
    This means we have 4 or 5 nights to fill inn (depends on stopping over in Malama or going directly to Wildlife camp)
    Thank a lot for your answers! I have read a lot on this forum but did not found the right answer, so hope someone will help!
    Sincereley,
    Fam Van Damme
    Belgium
    This thread could help you:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/325055-Zambia-trip-report-Johannesburg-to-Lusaka-in-four-weeks?p=4298223#post4298223

Quote Originally Posted by xanax View Post
    Sincereley,
    Fam Van Damme
    Belgium

1. From Luangwa to McBrides´, providing you do not want to back track, you have just two alternatives : either the 05 or going through NLNP. To reach McBrides´ you probably have to spit the journey into two; Probably Chifunda (Mano at the most) and then around Forest Inn area. If you are driving solo I would be very cautious of doing the 05 route.

2. From Petauke, Mfuwe/ Wildlife Camp and Zikomo is perfectly reachable in 4-6 hrs drive via Sandwe / Malama. A lovely drive. If want you can split it at Malama cottages but I can not comment on that.

3.On Kafue, bear in mind that Mapunga is only reachable from McBrides´ via Mumbwa. It will be long drive. You may split it at central Kafue.

Hope this helps.

AP

I would definitely skip North Luangwa. Return the same way from South Luangwa to Lusaka until you want to visit Kapishya and/or Kasanka (no bats in June/July) or something else along the T2.

Do not understimate the distances in Zambia. To get you from one park to another takes you hours...on bad roads with nasty truck traffic.

I am about to finish my trip report in the thread mentioned by Tashego . I will draw some overall conclusions which may help you, too

(.. sorry, wrong thread...)
    Last edited by ortelius; 2020/01/05 at 10:11 PM.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Just remember that the first weekend in July is a four-day long weekend in Zambia, so any camps within driving distance of Lusaka (and that includes South Luangwa) get booked up fast. So make sure you have bookings for that period.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Hello the Van Damme,
    I used to be a fellow citizen from Brussels before I becoming a Norvegian
    I have lived 4 years in Zambia and 3 years in the neighbouring Malawi and have visited extensivelly all the places in
    your planning.
    I don t know if your all ready have started your bookings but the first things that come to my mind when I see your planning is that I will definitivelly visit Kafue before visiting South Luangwa.
    The reson for that is that altough I love Kafue np and it s real wild atmosphere there is much more game to see and much less tsetse flies in Luangwa making it a kind of an upgrading on the safari level.
    Another thing to consider here is that in Kafue np in june/early july the grass is verry high in the dambos and the game is still very widespread making sightseings unreleable.
    The LZNP as game level to match with SLNP but that on the river front far inside where all the luxury loges are based and coming from Mvuu lodge that s a long drive away...
    My advice would be, espesially travelling with to teen, to skip one of this to destination, Kafue or LZNP and concentrate on a litle more time in South Luangwa combined with North luangwa or even Salima in Lake Malwi for ex for a litle beach break from the bush.
    Personnally I would chose to vist Kafue, mostly to experience Mac Brides camp and it s walking safaris but the rivers safari and the tiger fishing on the LZNP are also great.
    Last edited by Phili; 2020/01/10 at 10:53 AM.

Beside the usual safari stuff don t forget to bring good quality torches for everyone and ideally at least one
    spotlight. Verry usefull and necessary when moving around campsites in Zambia after dark.

I agree with the other comments: i would only visit North Luangwa (altough stunning) in combination with a visit to Kapisha, Mutinondo, etc in the north of Zambia.

If you would like a second place in Lower Zam, i would suggest either Kiambi Lodge or Wildtracks.

In Kafue Np, i would suggest Kasabushi Camp.

In Lusaka i can recommend GH campsite (new: http://app.ioverlander.com/places/11...campsite-rooms).

Good luck with your preparations!