Drotsky' Cabin Or Guma Lagoon Camp?

Default Drotsky' Cabin Or Guma Lagoon Camp?

Hi All

We are a very keen tiger fishing couple and intend visiting Botswana in September 2020 to fish for tiger during the barbel run. We will be looking for a campsite that allows us to set up our Bush Lapa Baobab Offroad caravan towing with a Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 twincab for approximately one week. We would be looking to hire a boat from the place we stay at. The two campsites that I have narrowed down to are either Drotsky’s Cabins or Guma Lagoon Camp. We would appreciate assistance in deciding which of these campsites to choose. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks John and Linda
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2019/12/28 at 01:18 AM.
    John
    2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715
    Don't let your dreams remain dreams

Default Re: Drotsky' Cabin Or Guma Lagoon Camp?

Hi John - Looking forward to seeing the replies to your post.

Kariba catches don't appear good and last I heard even in the Chobe area there were very few large fish around. I guess netting is a big problem?

Would love to take part in the barbel run!
    What is the outlook for catches?

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    Hi John - Looking forward to seeing the replies to your post.

Kariba catches don't appear good and last I heard even in the Chobe area there were very few large fish around. I guess netting is a big problem?

Would love to take part in the barbel run!
    What is the outlook for catches?
    Hi Paul - Hope we get some replies to the post. I posted the same request on DriveBots FB and had plenty of advice. The overwhelming preference was for Guma but it appears that Drotsky's is better for fishing being a shorter boat trip to the fishing areas. In addition the entrance to Guma is tough, 13kms through very thick sand. In fact a fellow BL owner had to abort their trip to Guma as they weren't able to get through the sand, so I'm inclined to go to Drotsky's. The main criticism of Drotsky's appear to be price at BWP500 per night, camping for 2, but that isn't the end of the world. It appears that catches in Drotsky's are pretty good especially in the barbel run

Kariba is not fishing as well as it did in the late 90's early 2000's and yes netting is a big problem. Right now I'd rather fish the river, Chirundu or Chewore/Tafika although the latter options are very expensive. We did Tafika in October last year and caught plenty quality fish including a 20lb monster and several over 10lbs
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2019/12/28 at 01:19 AM.
    John
    Baobab BL1715

Hello John.The sand road into Guma Lagoon is very challenging.Very very soft sand with a high middle mannetjie.And we had 2 water crossings that were not bad at all.When I was there for 2 days there were a few fishing parties going out each day and can only say the fishermen were very disappointed.Only 1 guy caught a very small Tiger in 3 days I was told.
    But Guma is a lovely place to stay if its just for the camping.
    I've never been to Drotsky so cant comment there sorry.
    2015 Land Cruiser 79 D/C V8 Diesel Turbo
    1983 Suzuki SJ 410 SOA.
    2000 Prado 90 SWB.
    Bush Lapa Boskriek No 607 - Die Kriek

Big advantage of Drotskys is that you can buy meat in Shakawe and take it there. Guma lies in an area between vet fences and its very difficult to get fresh meat there.
    '89 LR 110 V8

Quote Originally Posted by LC Man View Post
    Hello John.The sand road into Guma Lagoon is very challenging.Very very soft sand with a high middle mannetjie.And we had 2 water crossings that were not bad at all.When I was there for 2 days there were a few fishing parties going out each day and can only say the fishermen were very disappointed.Only 1 guy caught a very small Tiger in 3 days I was told.
    But Guma is a lovely place to stay if its just for the camping.
    I've never been to Drotsky so cant comment there sorry.
    Thanks LC, as the purpose behind this part of our adventure is all about fishing the scenery is of secondary importance - it's looking like Drotsky's

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Big advantage of Drotskys is that you can buy meat in Shakawe and take it there. Guma lies in an area between vet fences and its very difficult to get fresh meat there.
    Thanks Mike, seems like yet another reason for us to choose Drotsky's. I'm certain that Guma is great too but Drotsky's seems to tick all our boxes
    John
    Baobab BL1715

Tafika sounds wonderful!
    Guma deep sand!

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    Hi Paul - Hope we get some replies to the post. I posted the same request on DriveBots FB and had plenty of advice. The overwhelming preference was for Guma but it appears that Drotsky's is better for fishing being a shorter boat trip to the fishing areas. In addition the entrance to Guma is tough, 13kms through very thick sand. In fact a fellow BL owner had to abort their trip to Guma as they weren't able to get through the sand, so I'm inclined to go to Drotsky's. The main criticism of Drotsky's appear to be price at BWP500 per night, camping for 2, but that isn't the end of the world. It appears that catches in Drotsky's are pretty good especially in the barbel run

Kariba is not fishing as well as it did in the late 90's early 2000's and yes netting is a big problem. Right now I'd rather fish the river, Chirundu or Chewore/Tafika although the latter options are very expensive. We did Tafika in October last year and caught plenty quality fish including a 20lb monster and several over 10lbs
    Best Tiger Fishing is at Tiger Safaris at Chirundu or in Caprivi East of Katima at say the old Kalizo Lodge
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2019/12/28 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    Best Tiger Fishing is at Tiger Safaris at Chirundu or in Caprivi East of Katima at say the old Kalizo Lodge
    Hi Peter - at Chirundu I'd rather stay at Jecha Point (about 1.5kms downstream from Tiger Safaris). The reason being that they both offer pretty much the same experience, the only difference being that Jecha have sorted out the issue with baboons/monkeys whilst they are an enormous problem at Tiger Safaris, they actually spoil your stay.

Having said that Tafika knocks spots off both but costs as I said earlier are prohibitive.
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2019/12/28 at 10:42 AM.
    John
    Baobab BL1715

Many years since I was at Guma for Barbel Run but was a unique and rewarding experience ... quite different to open Zambezi River fishing
    (Upper rapids of Angola/Zambia, Dett, Gwayi, Sanyati mouths,etc)

The small fish take refuge at the base of the reed beds and the noisy thrashing barbel in their multitudes disturb/chase them out where prefators such as tigers lie in wait.
    The pro fisherman we hired to show us around said
    we should picture the Tiger as typically waiting in cavities , facing upstream on river bed a few meters out from reed beds ... awaiting to ambush the small fish fleeing the cover of reeds in the chaos.

We would anchor the boat appropriately alongside reed beds (5-10m away) and estimate the river depth via anchor chain length or reed , ore etc
    and then fish to get the lure/fly appropriately depth &casting upstream ��
    We used steel traces with fairly large red /orange lures (flys).

Understanding the structure and dynamics of whats happening
    underwater is , as in all fishing, key to the degree of ones success��

Needless to say the Pro Guide caught 4 times more than any of us.
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2019/12/28 at 11:02 AM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. : Own the road...Any road
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8... The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP... Simply Classic...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ... A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

Hi John and Linda,

Have you considered Shakawe Fishing Lodge ? Campsites right on the river with nice views,boats
    for hire and restaurant and pool at the lodge.

Just an alternative

Frans
    IF I HAVE TO WORK, I AM NOT DOING MY JOB

2010 DISCO 4 TDV6 SE - Swambo
    2012 Q7 - Me
    Land Cruizer ( INKUNZI )

Quote Originally Posted by BushNomad View Post
    Understanding the structure and dynamics of whats happening
    underwater is , as in all fishing, key to the degree of ones success��

Needless to say the Pro Guide caught 4 times more than any of us.
    Thanks for the hints, I'll certainly bear that in mind when we go later next year.

Quote Originally Posted by FransBR View Post
    Hi John and Linda,

Have you considered Shakawe Fishing Lodge ? Campsites right on the river with nice views,boats
    for hire and restaurant and pool at the lodge.

Just an alternative

Frans
    Thanks Frans, I had looked at Shakawe but recent TripAdvisor reports on this camp are less than flattering.

It looks like Drotsky's will be our call!!
    John
    Baobab BL1715

We had a great time fishing from Drotsky.

The campsites are far enough apart to give privacy and were very nicely protected and shaded. The boats were in good repair and the fishing was good (3 years ago I must admit). We found good fishing within 15 minutes from camp, so did not have to spend lots of time and fuel getting to the fish. We were flyfishing, which made it a bit trickier, but everybody got fish, if not all massive ones. Our guide was very knowledgible both about fishing and birding (went by the name of Otto, in case he is still there). The road in and out is good.

I have not been to Guma.

Quote Originally Posted by DJR View Post
    We had a great time fishing from Drotsky.
    I know past fishing is no guarantee of future performance but that cements our decision!!
    John
    Baobab BL1715

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    I know past fishing is no guarantee of future performance but that cements our decision!!
    Ha ha, yes, I've many a time encountered the "you should have been here last year / last month / last week / yesterday / an hour ago" story!
    Last edited by DJR; 2019/12/29 at 08:20 AM.

Tedx2,

I hope you will give feedback when you've done your trip. I've fished the Caprivi for about 10 years running (skipped one year to try Lower Zambezi near Kafue, and also missed 2019), and the tiger fishing has been on the decline every year with exception of 2018. Lots of tiger fish in 2018 but very few monsters.

I've fished the barbel run in the Kasai channel back a few times and it was great for both barbel an tiger. So the Okavango barbel run has been on my to-do for some time.

I was at Guma year before last (2018) in Oct. It is about 1.5 hr by boat to get to the main stream. There were millions of babel but no tigers.
    Caught a few nice bream in the lagoon at the camp which was great.
    Guma is a very nice camp.
    About 5 years ago i was at Drotsky's in November, Tiger fishing was exceptionally good but as someone mentioned: unpredictable.
    For tiger I would suggest Drotskys is more convenient as you are on the river. Would be very similar to Shakawe Lodge.
    You go upstream and fish while drifting down.
    In Sept 19 I was at Lower Zambezi and fishing was not good.