Discovery 3 The Wrath of a Disco 3 TDV 6





Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Goba
    Age
    61
    Posts
    371
    Thanked: 147

    Default The Wrath of a Disco 3 TDV 6

    Once the Disco got the feeling that I am looking towards other vehicles it decided it is time..

    The planned holiday started in the Disco and ended back home with a 2011 Fortuner R/B D4D 4x4 manual
    After a 4K roll back trip through Swaziland and another 3 K on a double axle trailer back to White River it was time to make the call...

    First diagnosis was Hydraulic lifter failure ....But found some shavings in the oil.. might be a bearing..sounded like that..Serious knock

    Swambo, picked the Fortuner and the deal was done in 3 hours, Waited to fit new Tyres, Clutch Kit, shocks and disc pads for a day, Loaded my Kayaks on the Tuna and came back home...last holiday wasted by my beloved Disco..

    Sorry Petri I only saw yours when I arrived back home.

    PS: It will certainly take time to get used to this bouncy vehicle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Techo Banine.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	551826   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loaded TDV 6.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	551827   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fortuner.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	551828  
    1997 Discovery 1 300 TD i ...Old Faithful (Sold) Rusty
    2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV 6...not sure yet ? (Scrapped) Could not last
    2011 Toyota Fortuner D4D 4x4 Man

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    George
    Age
    42
    Posts
    473
    Thanked: 14

    Default Re: The Wrath of a Disco 3 TDV 6

    Sad story, sorry to hear about your misfortune

    Itís a real pity that these vehicles are being let down by engine failures in such numbers.

    I feel your pain though, borrowed a tuna one time for a weekend. It doesnít even compare to my D2 so to a D3 will be traumatic.
    '99 TD5 Hardtop
    '99 TD Discovery 2 Auto

    It's a Land Rover thing... and I get it now 8)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Age
    49
    Posts
    15,719
    Thanked: 3842

    Default Re: The Wrath of a Disco 3 TDV 6

    Sorry to hear of another one, it is really unacceptable.

    You will always drive past them and think damn that is a fine vehicle, you will get used to the new vehicle in no time, and before you know it you wont remember what it was like driving the D3, but you will still always drive past them and think damn that is a fine vehicle

    The reality is that now that the Disco is gone, so are the repair bills, I so badly want a Disco again, but once bitter twice shy, I've had the Jeep now for just over 2 years (and you that talk about bouncy, really you still have luxury ), there is no comparison in running cost between the Wrangler and the D3, it might not be nearly as refined, but it has cost me zero money (well not completely zero, I did replace a starter motor).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    194
    Thanked: 94

    Default Re: The Wrath of a Disco 3 TDV 6

    Quote Originally Posted by LRTDV6 View Post
    Once the Disco got the feeling that I am looking towards other vehicles it decided it is time..

    The planned holiday started in the Disco and ended back home with a 2011 Fortuner R/B D4D 4x4 manual
    After a 4K roll back trip through Swaziland and another 3 K on a double axle trailer back to White River it was time to make the call...

    First diagnosis was Hydraulic lifter failure ....But found some shavings in the oil.. might be a bearing..sounded like that..Serious knock

    Swambo, picked the Fortuner and the deal was done in 3 hours, Waited to fit new Tyres, Clutch Kit, shocks and disc pads for a day, Loaded my Kayaks on the Tuna and came back home...last holiday wasted by my beloved Disco..

    Sorry Petri I only saw yours when I arrived back home.

    PS: It will certainly take time to get used to this bouncy vehicle
    May i ask what year, model and mileage...it gives one a sense of a lifespan?
    Discovery Landrover 3 tdv6 2008
    Volvo S40 T5 2006

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,119
    Thanked: 501

    Default Re: The Wrath of a Disco 3 TDV 6

    Really crap thing to happen when you are off on holiday especially as this was rather an expensive rebuild..I would be interested to know how many Kmís you did in the vehicle

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,911
    Thanked: 2067

    Default Re: The Wrath of a Disco 3 TDV 6

    Is this the one where you fitted a recon motor?
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    48
    Posts
    2,925
    Thanked: 943

    Default Re: The Wrath of a Disco 3 TDV 6

    Quote Originally Posted by LRTDV6 View Post
    Swambo, picked the Fortuner and the deal was done in 3 hours, Waited to fit new Tyres, Clutch Kit, shocks and disc pads for a day, Loaded my Kayaks on the Tuna and came back home...last holiday wasted by my beloved Disco..
    I used to also love Landies but objectively their reliability is crap. Your marriage and nerves will be a lot better off with the Toyota.

    My amarok is ticking over just below 300k km and I donít get into wondering if I will make it my destination.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tesselaarsdal (dis inni Kaap!)
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,100
    Thanked: 1128

    Default Re: The Wrath of a Disco 3 TDV 6

    Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    I used to also love Landies but objectively their reliability is crap. Your marriage and nerves will be a lot better off with the Toyota.

    My amarok is ticking over just below 300k km and I donít get into wondering if I will make it my destination.
    Don't generalize, Mate: My Disco 2 Td5 has over done 420k , my Defender Td5 over 360k and my Defender Tdi over 560k kilometers.

    This is however the problem when Land Rover brought out the most unreliable P.O.S. ever seen on a public road with the Freelander 1, everyone said "Land Rovers are unreliable". Having just (sort of) recovered their good name after that debacle, Land Rover released an absolutely stunning vehicle with a time-bomb for an engine in the TDV6 and once again it is "Land Rovers are unreliable". What about the Defender, Disco 1 and 2's, Disco 3 V8, FL2, Range Rovers, not to mention thousands of Series vehicles still trundling around

    But ja - "Land Rovers are unreliable" it will probably always stay...
    "ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

    1959 SII 88"
    196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    67
    Posts
    62
    Thanked: 9

    Default Re: The Wrath of a Disco 3 TDV 6

    My 2c..... The only "sensible" and "reasonable" upgrade from a D3/D4 mobile detonation device, is a Pajero 3.2 GLS DiD. Very similar luxury (and if you go Exceed then more good stuff is included). Second hand models are reasonable, reliability is outstanding and off-road - not too bad at all. And as a tow vehicle, hard to beat. But that is just my opinion, your mileage may vary....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    54
    Posts
    278
    Thanked: 157

    Default Re: The Wrath of a Disco 3 TDV 6

    I have had two Pajeros and three Colts in the past. I respect the product. My concern going forward is dealership backup and parts availability.

    Darron John Misplon
    Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES Manual (Loaded)
    BMW F30 320i Sport Auto
    BMW R1200 GS
    'One life-Make a difference"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Boksburg
    Age
    65
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: The Wrath of a Disco 3 TDV 6

    Quote Originally Posted by LRTDV6 View Post
    Once the Disco got the feeling that I am looking towards other vehicles it decided it is time..

    The planned holiday started in the Disco and ended back home with a 2011 Fortuner R/B D4D 4x4 manual
    After a 4K roll back trip through Swaziland and another 3 K on a double axle trailer back to White River it was time to make the call...

    First diagnosis was Hydraulic lifter failure ....But found some shavings in the oil.. might be a bearing..sounded like that..Serious knock

    Swambo, picked the Fortuner and the deal was done in 3 hours, Waited to fit new Tyres, Clutch Kit, shocks and disc pads for a day, Loaded my Kayaks on the Tuna and came back home...last holiday wasted by my beloved Disco..

    Sorry Petri I only saw yours when I arrived back home.

    PS: It will certainly take time to get used to this bouncy vehicle

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Age
    49
    Posts
    15,719
    Thanked: 3842

    Default Re: The Wrath of a Disco 3 TDV 6

    Quote Originally Posted by colinwp View Post
    My 2c..... The only "sensible" and "reasonable" upgrade from a D3/D4 mobile detonation device, is a Pajero 3.2 GLS DiD. Very similar luxury (and if you go Exceed then more good stuff is included). Second hand models are reasonable, reliability is outstanding and off-road - not too bad at all. And as a tow vehicle, hard to beat. But that is just my opinion, your mileage may vary....
    I am a big fan of the Pajero's, but I have to disagree with it being similar, the cabin luxury maybe yes, but the drive experience is very different, there is no comparison. (I test drove a fairly new Pajero when I still had my D3, so this is a first hand experience and a direct comparison, I remember at the time I was fairly disappointed with the Pajero's drive, but when you climb out of a D3 there is not much on the market that will give you a comparable drive experience).

    That said, right now I would definitely choose a Paj over a D3 or D4.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    76
    Posts
    1,393
    Thanked: 362

    Default Re: The Wrath of a Disco 3 TDV 6

    Pity there was not an upgraded Mitshubishi 3,2 plus Super select gearbox and Trf Box mod for "has been" D3's and D4's. I think that really would be a great combination. The Aussies are doing some nice work on the mitsu 3,2 engines with improved performances. Also a good bush motor, no real fancy electronics.
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,960
    Thanked: 1184

    Default Re: The Wrath of a Disco 3 TDV 6

    I agree, a Pajero is certainly no D3/4 in terms of refinement and ride! That said, we had another wonderful trip to KZN with zero issues and good fuel consumption. On the steep, twisty 100 km/h sections of the N3 coming back up from Durbs, it kept at a steady 100km/h in 5th with the cruise control activated. On the (almost) dead-quiet N5 in the Vleisstaat I set the cruise control at a highly illegal speed just to forget about the congestion on the N3 and still got good economy. We approached Bloem in pouring rain! Enjoy peace of mind motoring in your Tuna!
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Forest Hills, KZN
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,196
    Thanked: 808

    Default Re: The Wrath of a Disco 3 TDV 6

    Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    Is this the one where you fitted a recon motor?
    Interesting...
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - mods list to be updated [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    54
    Posts
    278
    Thanked: 157

    Default Re: The Wrath of a Disco 3 TDV 6

    Hi LRTDV6

    Any news or update?

    Darron John Misplon
    Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES Manual (Loaded)
    BMW F30 320i Sport Auto
    BMW R1200 GS
    'One life-Make a difference"

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Goba
    Age
    61
    Posts
    371
    Thanked: 147

    Default Re: The Wrath of a Disco 3 TDV 6

    Quote Originally Posted by Darron View Post
    Hi LRTDV6

    Any news or update?
    Hi Darron and all

    Yes, absolutely worth it to install genuine LR Sub ...I bought through a buddy of a buddy, of a known LR Engine supplier...

    I was never 100% certain but it lasted...(But import it yourself to ease any doubt ...)

    The sub is/was mechanical solid as a rock...It seems it broke a valve, landed on the piston, scorched the sleeve and snowballed in damages from there on...No 2 Piston broken, Conrod bent, and damaged big end bearing..

    My advice ..if you go the new LR sub path..Install new heads as well...New injectors, new turbo and HPFP..
    +/- 200 K on a max 120K book value vehicle does not make sense
    1997 Discovery 1 300 TD i ...Old Faithful (Sold) Rusty
    2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV 6...not sure yet ? (Scrapped) Could not last
    2011 Toyota Fortuner D4D 4x4 Man

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    54
    Posts
    278
    Thanked: 157

    Default Re: The Wrath of a Disco 3 TDV 6

    Quote Originally Posted by LRTDV6 View Post
    Hi Darron and all

    Yes, absolutely worth it to install genuine LR Sub ...I bought through a buddy of a buddy, of a known LR Engine supplier...

    I was never 100% certain but it lasted...(But import it yourself to ease any doubt ...)

    The sub is/was mechanical solid as a rock...It seems it broke a valve, landed on the piston, scorched the sleeve and snowballed in damages from there on...No 2 Piston broken, Conrod bent, and damaged big end bearing..

    My advice ..if you go the new LR sub path..Install new heads as well...New injectors, new turbo and HPFP..
    +/- 200 K on a max 120K book value vehicle does not make sense
    Thanks. I know it must be a hard decision.

    Darron John Misplon
    Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES Manual (Loaded)
    BMW F30 320i Sport Auto
    BMW R1200 GS
    'One life-Make a difference"

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lonehill
    Age
    47
    Posts
    5,632
    Thanked: 351

    Default Re: The Wrath of a Disco 3 TDV 6

    Ah so it was a rebuild?

    How long/how many kms since the rebuild.

    How many kms has the D3 done?

    What year D3 is it?
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

    Defender 130 Puma

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Goba
    Age
    61
    Posts
    371
    Thanked: 147

    Default Re: The Wrath of a Disco 3 TDV 6

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    Ah so it was a rebuild?

    How long/how many kms since the rebuild.

    How many kms has the D3 done?

    What year D3 is it?
    Never proofed it to be a rebuild ..It was bought as a LR sub

    Since installed 76 000 km

    2006 mod
    1997 Discovery 1 300 TD i ...Old Faithful (Sold) Rusty
    2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV 6...not sure yet ? (Scrapped) Could not last
    2011 Toyota Fortuner D4D 4x4 Man

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •