Suspension What settings do you use in sand on auto amarok

Default What settings do you use in sand on auto amarok

Hi Guys,

I took the bakkie on a quick sand trail today.

It has platkar tyres on but I was still reasonably impressed, it managed all the obstacles but couldn't manage some tricks I usually do with my wrangler on the same trail.

Except for the tyres the nannies also kept kicking in at the wrong time.

I couldn't turn the traction control off all the way, kept kicking in when I didn't want it to.

The dash display says deactivated but it still kicks in.

I also didn't like the hill decent function when I selected the off road button.

In the end I felt the t/c off and auto in s mode worked the best, not in off road mode.

It however didn't want to stay in 1st on the one longer dune, which would've worked better but it managed to get out in 2nd.

What tricks do you guys use with your 2l autos in sand?

Thanks

Jean
    Jeep Wrangler TJ
    Volvo XC60
    Amarok AWD

Default Re: What settings do you use in sand on auto amarok

I assume tyre pressures are already sorted? I am no dune badger, and mine is a manual, but it is pretty unstoppable on the beach.

Going to try it tomorrow with my newer boat which is very heavy as I have been using the club tractor, but I will be dropping tyres to 1.0bar just to give my self a chance.

Are you doing normal bushveld type same , or more the dune bashing at Atlantis type stuff? I believe trebla on this forum is quite an expert on getting the best out of amarocks in terms of how the electronic aids work.

I was on 0.7, probably could've gone down to 0.6.

It is maybe like a mini easier Atlantis dunes
    Jeep Wrangler TJ
    Volvo XC60
    Amarok AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    I was on 0.7, probably could've gone down to 0.6.

It is maybe like a mini easier Atlantis dunes
    Oh in that case one thing to consider for sure is some sort of mod for the oil filller cap. This is a very bad design, and if you are doing that sort of stuff then seriously consider a cover for this.

If I recall correctly, Johnboy had one of those rubber boots that covers your trailer electric socket over his oil filler cap. I think it was alex01 that first brought this shortcoming to the attention of the forum as he was one of the early dune bashers.

Other than that it sounds like you know what you are doing so see if one of the knowledgeable chaps comes with a view.

I have 265/70 r 17 tyres fitted and I think that is one of the best “mods” you can do for sand. Suspension is standard apart from bilstein shocks which do not affect ride height.

Cool Re: What settings do you use in sand on auto amarok

Hi Guys,

It has platkar tyres on but I was still reasonably impressed, it managed all the obstacles but couldn't manage some tricks I usually do with my wrangler on the same trail.

I couldn't turn the traction control off all the way, kept kicking in when I didn't want it to.

I also didn't like the hill decent function when I selected the off road button.

In the end I felt the t/c off and auto in s mode worked the best, not in off road mode.

It however didn't want to stay in 1st on the one longer dune, which would've worked better but it managed to get out in 2nd.

Thanks

Jean
    I also didnt like the hill descent in off road mode. Drive it in sport mode and put off t/c. Remember to also put on safety belt or click it in behind your back. It also cut power of it is not in. Also launch control work well when stuck.

I used off rode mode when doing rocky trails. So just put foot down in sand

2017 VW Amarok 3.0 TDi V6 4Motion D/Cab
    2020 VW T Cross Highline R Line
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

Default What settings do you use in sand on auto amarok

Well the tractors were given the afternoon off so I needed to retrieve the boat today. I know dbn ski boat club is not the most challenging site but still.

Have not figured beaching the boat properly yet, so I normally end up in the shore break. Hooked a tow rope up to the boat fully expecting to dig in. Low first and absolutely no issues getting it up the beach.

Winch put it on the trailer no problem and from there 2nd low off the beach. Super impressed and this with tyres on around 1.6bar all around.
    Last edited by stephenplumb; 2019/12/24 at 05:51 PM.

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Jean

Het jy by Paradise 4x4 gaan ry?

Sal seker weer die einde van die jaar by Wilderness gaan kamp. So wil weer die roete gaan. Tensy daar iets anders is? Paradise 4x4 is lekker want dis nie te lank nie en naby waar ons gewoonlik kamp...
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFS..._as=subscriber
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

Quote Originally Posted by Bogaards View Post
    Het jy by Paradise 4x4 gaan ry?

Sal seker weer die einde van die jaar by Wilderness gaan kamp. So wil weer die roete gaan. Tensy daar iets anders is? Paradise 4x4 is lekker want dis nie te lank nie en naby waar ons gewoonlik kamp...
    Yup, dit is 'n baie lekker baan.

Afhangend waarvoor jy lus is, sand of klip of 'n kombinasie is hier 'n paar bane naby om van te kies.

Sien dan weer in Desember
    Jeep Wrangler TJ
    Volvo XC60
    Amarok AWD

I just use "S" mode and traction control off. Have driven mostly the hot soft sand you get in the Ponta area and I have not been in a situation where I got stuck even with trailer in tow.
    Darryn Van Rooyen
    2014 D/C Amarok 4Motion H/L Auto - 76mm Decat Downpipe and Revo Stage 1 Tune
    Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6