Fug IT ..... or not?!?!

Question Fug IT ..... or not?!?!

Goodday all,This may be a silly or stupid question, however, ... for those folk that have tyre pressure monitors as a feature of their vehicle, have any of you used Fug IT or any other puncture repair liquid on their vehicles?

Has the use of a "liquid" had an adverse effect on the monitors as all?

I'm keen to hear your thoughts and insights.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Beagle boy; 2019/12/23 at 01:38 PM.

Default Re: Fug IT ..... or not?!?!

My owner's manual specifically says not to use those things. They probably know better than me, so I just stick to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle boy View Post
    Goodday all,This may be a silly or stupid question, however, ... for those folk that have tyre pressure monitors as a feature of their vehicle, have any of you used Fug IT or any other puncture repair liquid on their vehicles?

Has the use of a "liquid" had an adverse effect on the monitors as all?

I'm keen to hear your thoughts and insights.

Thanks in advance.
    Wow...
    I've never even considered this. I have a canister of it in my emergency box, but have never used something like this in my life. I'm totally convinced it must ruin those pressure sensors.

It depends on the vehicle, and the type of TPMS it uses.

Direct TPMS uses a pressure sensor, either internal to the wheel, or attached to the valve.

Indirect TPMS uses the vehicles ABS system to determine differences in rolling distance of each individual wheel, and predicts the tire pressure, or rather decrease in pressure.

One cannot use any of these sealants in Direct TPMS systems, but it would cause no damage to the Indirect systems.

Check your individual vehicles manual.

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    Indirect TPMS uses the vehicles ABS system to determine differences in rolling distance of each individual wheel, and predicts the tire pressure, or rather decrease in pressure.
    What?! Do you have any more info on this? Sounds like some kind of nonsense.

Well Fug IT has this on their website

Q: Will Fug It affect tyre sensors?
    A: No, when installed correctly Fug It will not touch the rim or tyre sensor inside the tyre. If liquid happens to come in contact with the sensor affecting the tyre pressure reading, one simply needs to wash and wipe off with water as Fug It is water soluble.

http://fugit.co.za/index.php/f-a-q/
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyG View Post
    After TPMS became compulsory on new vehicles in EU, there has been a big increase in Indirect TPMS units in cars. Almost all European manufacturers have ITPMS in their cars, there are even some Toyotas with it.

Iíve seen a list somewhere with all the vehicles with ITPMS, but canít find it now.

Here is a wikipedia link on how it works.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire...itoring_system

I know nothing about the sensors but, Fug it works!
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

From what I have read you get Flat Tire Monitors and Tyre Pressure Monitors, the latter the kind we normally use in 4x4's, where there is a sensor with transmitter in each tyre.

Vehicles like the BMW 520D that came out with run flat tyres uses a flat tyre monitoring system where it uses the same sensors/electronics in use for ABS etc, and it only picks up differences in the rotational speed, where a wheel with lower pressure will rotate faster than others. (This is a summary of posts from the BMW forums). So all it can do is tell you there is a loss of pressure and which tyre, it does not show actual pressures.

I used Fug - it twice........., two different vehicles and both gave me endless problems with regards to balancing of tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonve View Post
    I used Fug - it twice........., two different vehicles and both gave me endless problems with regards to balancing of tyres.
    Yes, that's their big downfall, balancing, works on slow moving off road truck's ext. but not on high speed vehicles.

On Bmw motorbikes slime or these cans that you buy screw up the tms sensor. Moer of expensive to replace.

The new Polo comes std with this and it works, I have experienced the effectiveness of it with a slow puncture my wife had on her vehicle's tyre.

http://www.vwpolo.net/tyre_pressure_...cator-249.html
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2019/12/31 at 08:55 PM.

I have a TPMS set on the Ranger - the booklet just says TMPS so not sure what make. It consists of a set of sensors you screw onto the valve. In Bots in December we picked up a thorn and I had to use one of these tyre sealant products - cannot remember the name.

I was a bit worried about the effect on the sensor, but it did not affect the sensor at all in the end. I have now done appox 1500km with the bakkie, goo in the wheel and sensor on the valve and no issues so far.

CorneV
    Ford Supercab 3.2 Auto 4wd