Much higher fuel consumption





Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mossel Bay
    Age
    50
    Posts
    970
    Thanked: 92

    Default Much higher fuel consumption

    I changed my Pirelli AT plus 265/65R17 for Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX 265/65R17 and my fuel consumption climbed from 11-12 km/l to +- 9.5-10 km/l if I watch my speed [DC Hilux 2.4]. When I changed the tyres I could feel there's a hell of a difference in weight when I picked them up but can it cause such a big difference in consumption? I got the Coopers brand new from a friend for free.
    Last edited by Lofty; 2019/12/23 at 05:16 AM.
    2017 Hilux 2.4 SRX D/C 4x4 2012 Cross Polo [mamma s'n]

    http://travel.webshots.com/album/558867451ncpSPZ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Pinetown
    Age
    33
    Posts
    348
    Thanked: 354

    Default Re: Much higher fuel consumption

    Yep.

    I went from Hankook DynaPro ATM 265 65 R17 to Mickey Thompson baja atz p3 265 70 R17. Withing 30km I went from 11.8L/100km to 13.5L/100km.

    Biggest mistake I've made.

    School fees.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum


    2012 Hilux 2x4 D/L
    A few basic mods.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lonehill, JHB
    Age
    43
    Posts
    6,483
    Thanked: 1034

    Default Re: Much higher fuel consumption

    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Soul View Post
    Yep.

    I went from Hankook DynaPro ATM 265 65 R17 to Mickey Thompson baja atz p3 265 70 R17. Withing 30km I went from 11.8L/100km to 13.5L/100km.

    Biggest mistake I've made.

    School fees.
    You canít make that assumption after only 30km, itís not a large enough sample.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Pinetown
    Age
    33
    Posts
    348
    Thanked: 354

    Default Re: Much higher fuel consumption

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    You canít make that assumption after only 30km, itís not a large enough sample.
    Ok fine. 6 months later it's the same.

    Happy now?
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum


    2012 Hilux 2x4 D/L
    A few basic mods.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lonehill, JHB
    Age
    43
    Posts
    6,483
    Thanked: 1034

    Default Much higher fuel consumption

    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Soul View Post
    Ok fine. 6 months later it's the same.

    Happy now?
    Hang on, you posted that 13h ago and now you say itís the same 6 months later. Iím very confused.
    Last edited by KurtG; 2019/12/23 at 08:31 PM.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Pinetown
    Age
    33
    Posts
    348
    Thanked: 354

    Default Re: Much higher fuel consumption

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    Hang on, you posted that 13h ago and now you say itís the same 6 months later. Iím very confused.
    I didn't say I fitted them 13 hours ago.

    I said I noticed an increase within 30km.

    I first fitted Coopers st Maxx which were crap so changed to Baja atz p3 which has been better but unfortunately comes at a significant price in terms of fuel consumption.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum


    2012 Hilux 2x4 D/L
    A few basic mods.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Age
    49
    Posts
    15,780
    Thanked: 3970

    Default Re: Much higher fuel consumption

    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Soul View Post
    I went from Hankook DynaPro ATM 265 65 R17 to Mickey Thompson baja atz p3 265 70 R17. Withing 30km I went from 11.8L/100km to 13.5L/100km.
    Also remember you increased tyre size plus change the type, so this is absolutely possible.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Pinetown
    Age
    33
    Posts
    348
    Thanked: 354

    Default Re: Much higher fuel consumption

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Also remember you increased tyre size plus change the type, so this is absolutely possible.
    I was expecting about a 1L difference due to the profile change. Not the huge jump it was, however it's school fees and they are nice tyres offroad without a doubt, they breezed through 3 provinces at 1.8 bar.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum


    2012 Hilux 2x4 D/L
    A few basic mods.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Heliport
    Age
    50
    Posts
    491
    Thanked: 311

    Default Re: Much higher fuel consumption

    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Soul View Post
    I was expecting about a 1L difference due to the profile change. Not the huge jump it was, however it's school fees and they are nice tyres offroad without a doubt, they breezed through 3 provinces at 1.8 bar.
    Readings will be out as well ( bigger circumference )
    Using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Pinetown
    Age
    33
    Posts
    348
    Thanked: 354

    Default Re: Much higher fuel consumption

    Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    Readings will be out as well ( bigger circumference )
    Actually not, they are now as close to spot on as I can get.

    Speedo reads 100km/hr and GPS reads 99km/hr.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum


    2012 Hilux 2x4 D/L
    A few basic mods.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gauteng
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,151
    Thanked: 948

    Default Re: Much higher fuel consumption

    Rolling resistance (tread pattern) and tyre pressures. Rolling resistance is what it is on each type tyre, but pressures we can control.
    My consumption only upped by 0.5-1 l/100km. Got it back to near normal, 8,7l/100km with checking pressures constantly. Front 2.4 and back 2.3 when empty. When fully loaded, 2.5 front 2.6 back.
    To get good average consumption figures, I measure over 3 tanks, mixed town and highway driving.
    Oh, and my bakkie hates a head wind. Nails the consumption but good. Average now is 8.8-9.0l/100km.
    I changed from standard 255 70 16 to BF KO2 265 65 17.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    35
    Posts
    533
    Thanked: 173

    Default Re: Much higher fuel consumption

    The Cooper is a LT spec tyre. Much more rolling weight than before. You are going to feel a difference.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mossel Bay
    Age
    50
    Posts
    970
    Thanked: 92

    Default Re: Much higher fuel consumption

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonN View Post
    Rolling resistance (tread pattern) and tyre pressures. Rolling resistance is what it is on each type tyre, but pressures we can control.
    My consumption only upped by 0.5-1 l/100km. Got it back to near normal, 8,7l/100km with checking pressures constantly. Front 2.4 and back 2.3 when empty. When fully loaded, 2.5 front 2.6 back.
    To get good average consumption figures, I measure over 3 tanks, mixed town and highway driving.
    Oh, and my bakkie hates a head wind. Nails the consumption but good. Average now is 8.8-9.0l/100km.
    I changed from standard 255 70 16 to BF KO2 265 65 17.
    Anton have you driven a Hilux with 2.4 kpa tyre pressure haha my tande sal uitval
    2017 Hilux 2.4 SRX D/C 4x4 2012 Cross Polo [mamma s'n]

    http://travel.webshots.com/album/558867451ncpSPZ

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gauteng
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,151
    Thanked: 948

    Default Re: Much higher fuel consumption

    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    Anton have you driven a Hilux with 2.4 kpa tyre pressure haha my tande sal uitval
    Haha.... Ek ry 2.4 bar en 2.6 bar...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Henties
    Posts
    3,318
    Thanked: 867

    Default Re: Much higher fuel consumption

    The impact of tyre weight is amplified by the fact that they are part of the vehicle's mass which isn't suspended. It's impact is something like 8 times that of weight carried in the vehicle.
    In other words, a tyre that weighs 15 kg more than the standard tyre would be similar to at least carrying 15 x 4 x 8 = 480 kg inside the vehicle.
    Add to that a wider tread pattern, the ST Maxx is rather square and has got a wider running surface compared to e.g. a GY Wrangler of the same advertised size, which increases drag.
    Plus the tread pattern is more aggressive and got a higher rolling resistance, hence the humming noise.
    It all contributes to higher fuel consumption.
    On a petrol vehicle one might feel it more than on a diesel.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    56
    Posts
    6,547
    Thanked: 1194

    Default Re: Much higher fuel consumption

    Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    The impact of tyre weight is amplified by the fact that they are part of the vehicle's mass which isn't suspended. It's impact is something like 8 times that of weight carried in the vehicle.
    In other words, a tyre that weighs 15 kg more than the standard tyre would be similar to at least carrying 15 x 4 x 8 = 480 kg inside the vehicle.
    Add to that a wider tread pattern, the ST Maxx is rather square and has got a wider running surface compared to e.g. a GY Wrangler of the same advertised size, which increases drag.
    Plus the tread pattern is more aggressive and got a higher rolling resistance, hence the humming noise.
    It all contributes to higher fuel consumption.
    On a petrol vehicle one might feel it more than on a diesel.

    Wow! I did not know that.... I wonder what the weight difference is between the standard tyres I had on the FJ compared to the BFG K02's I fitted recently... Scary formula...
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

    When in doubt, paint it black

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,539
    Thanked: 415

    Default Re: Much higher fuel consumption

    That is the trade off yes...

    Just when I think I will be going to BFG on the next set I need to decide is it worth the extra R1000 per tyre and the high fuel consumption vs what I have now. Should get between 60,000 to 80,000 out of the current GY Adventures and have not had a single problem with them. They are feathering a bit, but I have done 8 trails (mostly rocky) this year already...
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HenkBogaards4WheelingSA
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mossel Bay
    Age
    50
    Posts
    970
    Thanked: 92

    Default Re: Much higher fuel consumption

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogaards View Post
    That is the trade off yes...

    Just when I think I will be going to BFG on the next set I need to decide is it worth the extra R1000 per tyre and the high fuel consumption vs what I have now. Should get between 60,000 to 80,000 out of the current GY Adventures and have not had a single problem with them. They are feathering a bit, but I have done 8 trails (mostly rocky) this year already...
    I had GY's and I had BFG'S on before,secondhand GY's are better than new BF's
    2017 Hilux 2.4 SRX D/C 4x4 2012 Cross Polo [mamma s'n]

    http://travel.webshots.com/album/558867451ncpSPZ

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,222
    Thanked: 817

    Default Re: Much higher fuel consumption

    Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    The impact of tyre weight is amplified by the fact that they are part of the vehicle's mass which isn't suspended. It's impact is something like 8 times that of weight carried in the vehicle.
    In other words, a tyre that weighs 15 kg more than the standard tyre would be similar to at least carrying 15 x 4 x 8 = 480 kg inside the vehicle.
    Add to that a wider tread pattern, the ST Maxx is rather square and has got a wider running surface compared to e.g. a GY Wrangler of the same advertised size, which increases drag.
    Plus the tread pattern is more aggressive and got a higher rolling resistance, hence the humming noise.
    It all contributes to higher fuel consumption.
    On a petrol vehicle one might feel it more than on a diesel.
    What? (BTW this is called 'Unsprung Mass ' ) Any scientific sources on this?
    Petrol /diesel vehicle?

    Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    I refuse to accept this claim, sorry.
    Indeed, awaiting factual confirmation. Until such time I wil regard this as rubbish .
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2019/12/24 at 09:18 AM.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ceres
    Age
    59
    Posts
    28
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: Much higher fuel consumption

    There's a very nice informative article in this months SA4x4, which compares a lot of tyres and (including weight).
    i also have Hankook on my GV 2,4 auto - the side walls are very soft - will get side wall punctures - but unbeatable for km's given. then again on the Ford 3.2 i have the BF Goodridge - will not pay that again

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •