Much higher fuel consumption

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Much higher fuel consumption

I changed my Pirelli AT plus 265/65R17 for Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX 265/65R17 and my fuel consumption climbed from 11-12 km/l to +- 9.5-10 km/l if I watch my speed [DC Hilux 2.4]. When I changed the tyres I could feel there's a hell of a difference in weight when I picked them up but can it cause such a big difference in consumption? I got the Coopers brand new from a friend for free.
    Last edited by Lofty; 2019/12/23 at 05:16 AM.
    2017 Hilux 2.4 SRX D/C 4x4 2012 Cross Polo [mamma s'n]

http://travel.webshots.com/album/558867451ncpSPZ

Default Re: Much higher fuel consumption

Yep.

I went from Hankook DynaPro ATM 265 65 R17 to Mickey Thompson baja atz p3 265 70 R17. Withing 30km I went from 11.8L/100km to 13.5L/100km.

Biggest mistake I've made.

School fees.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

2012 Hilux 2x4 D/L
    A few basic mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Soul View Post
    Yep.

I went from Hankook DynaPro ATM 265 65 R17 to Mickey Thompson baja atz p3 265 70 R17. Withing 30km I went from 11.8L/100km to 13.5L/100km.

Biggest mistake I've made.

School fees.
    You canít make that assumption after only 30km, itís not a large enough sample.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Rolling resistance (tread pattern) and tyre pressures. Rolling resistance is what it is on each type tyre, but pressures we can control.
    My consumption only upped by 0.5-1 l/100km. Got it back to near normal, 8,7l/100km with checking pressures constantly. Front 2.4 and back 2.3 when empty. When fully loaded, 2.5 front 2.6 back.
    To get good average consumption figures, I measure over 3 tanks, mixed town and highway driving.
    Oh, and my bakkie hates a head wind. Nails the consumption but good. Average now is 8.8-9.0l/100km.
    I changed from standard 255 70 16 to BF KO2 265 65 17.

The Cooper is a LT spec tyre. Much more rolling weight than before. You are going to feel a difference.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

The impact of tyre weight is amplified by the fact that they are part of the vehicle's mass which isn't suspended. It's impact is something like 8 times that of weight carried in the vehicle.
    In other words, a tyre that weighs 15 kg more than the standard tyre would be similar to at least carrying 15 x 4 x 8 = 480 kg inside the vehicle.
    Add to that a wider tread pattern, the ST Maxx is rather square and has got a wider running surface compared to e.g. a GY Wrangler of the same advertised size, which increases drag.
    Plus the tread pattern is more aggressive and got a higher rolling resistance, hence the humming noise.
    It all contributes to higher fuel consumption.
    On a petrol vehicle one might feel it more than on a diesel.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    The impact of tyre weight is amplified by the fact that they are part of the vehicle's mass which isn't suspended. It's impact is something like 8 times that of weight carried in the vehicle.
    In other words, a tyre that weighs 15 kg more than the standard tyre would be similar to at least carrying 15 x 4 x 8 = 480 kg inside the vehicle.
    Add to that a wider tread pattern, the ST Maxx is rather square and has got a wider running surface compared to e.g. a GY Wrangler of the same advertised size, which increases drag.
    Plus the tread pattern is more aggressive and got a higher rolling resistance, hence the humming noise.

Wow! I did not know that.... I wonder what the weight difference is between the standard tyres I had on the FJ compared to the BFG K02's I fitted recently... Scary formula...
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

That is the trade off yes...

Just when I think I will be going to BFG on the next set I need to decide is it worth the extra R1000 per tyre and the high fuel consumption vs what I have now. Should get between 60,000 to 80,000 out of the current GY Adventures and have not had a single problem with them. They are feathering a bit, but I have done 8 trails (mostly rocky) this year already...
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HenkBogaards4WheelingSA
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    You canít make that assumption after only 30km, itís not a large enough sample.
    Ok fine. 6 months later it's the same.

Happy now?
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

2012 Hilux 2x4 D/L
    A few basic mods.

Default Much higher fuel consumption

Ok fine. 6 months later it's the same.

Happy now?
    Hang on, you posted that 13h ago and now you say itís the same 6 months later. Iím very confused.
    Last edited by KurtG; 2019/12/23 at 08:31 PM.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Also remember you increased tyre size plus change the type, so this is absolutely possible.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    Hang on, you posted that 13h ago and now you say itís the same 6 months later. Iím very confused.
    I didn't say I fitted them 13 hours ago.

I said I noticed an increase within 30km.

I first fitted Coopers st Maxx which were crap so changed to Baja atz p3 which has been better but unfortunately comes at a significant price in terms of fuel consumption.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

2012 Hilux 2x4 D/L
    A few basic mods.

They must be awesome offroad though!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Also remember you increased tyre size plus change the type, so this is absolutely possible.
    I was expecting about a 1L difference due to the profile change. Not the huge jump it was, however it's school fees and they are nice tyres offroad without a doubt, they breezed through 3 provinces at 1.8 bar.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

2012 Hilux 2x4 D/L
    A few basic mods.

Well, I certainly didnít buy a 4x4 to save fuel so it is what it is and I enjoy it every time I go off-road or hit a gravel road
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Hi just for interest sake where did you get the formula?

I refuse to accept this claim, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonN View Post
    Rolling resistance (tread pattern) and tyre pressures. Rolling resistance is what it is on each type tyre, but pressures we can control.
    My consumption only upped by 0.5-1 l/100km. Got it back to near normal, 8,7l/100km with checking pressures constantly. Front 2.4 and back 2.3 when empty. When fully loaded, 2.5 front 2.6 back.
    To get good average consumption figures, I measure over 3 tanks, mixed town and highway driving.
    Oh, and my bakkie hates a head wind. Nails the consumption but good. Average now is 8.8-9.0l/100km.
    I changed from standard 255 70 16 to BF KO2 265 65 17.
    Anton have you driven a Hilux with 2.4 kpa tyre pressure haha my tande sal uitval

I never knew that,480 kg? masehare

Quote Originally Posted by Bogaards View Post
    That is the trade off yes...

Just when I think I will be going to BFG on the next set I need to decide is it worth the extra R1000 per tyre and the high fuel consumption vs what I have now. Should get between 60,000 to 80,000 out of the current GY Adventures and have not had a single problem with them. They are feathering a bit, but I have done 8 trails (mostly rocky) this year already...
    I had GY's and I had BFG'S on before,secondhand GY's are better than new BF's

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast