Zambia 2019 - Trip Report - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Zambia 2019 - Trip Report

[QUOTE=apfac;4292903

@WW - writing a report just makes us revive our experiences and will certainly be a tonic for a fading memory, later on...; Thank you again for the kind woreds,

AP[/QUOTE]

Indeed, happy memories for our dotage! I just wish others felt the same...
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2019/12/24 at 01:54 AM.

Thanks for such a great detailed report with excellent photos. Brought back memories of our last trip to Zambia when we went to Liuwa and Kafue staying at some of the same places as you. We also hired from Hemmingways whose vehicle was excellently kitted out.

I had thought that our trip was two years ago but finding my trip report and re reading it I realised that it was actually November 2016. How time flies!

Trip reports are an excellent way of providing guidance for others planning future trips but are also a delight to re read after a couple of years to remind yourself of previous adventures.

Thank you apfac for this brilliant trip report and outstanding photos.

This keeps the memories alive!

Our ways must have crossed somewhere in SLNP

Best wishes for the festive season

Thank you AfricaExplorer and Mabe.

@Mabe : Indeed we could have crossed our ways if I had not changed our Mfuwe plans. Next time maybe. This world is becoming frightening and increasingly small.

My best wishes for the Season.

AP

Hallo apfac,
    many thanks for your great trip report which was much appreciated, as all other feedbacks from Zambia published in the last months!
    Reading news about Zambia is just now essential for us because we are planning our once-in-a-lifetime-adventure for 2020 with our own car. Since 2 years we are owners of a Defender 110 which is now fully equipped and waiting for harder work than rolling on our tarred roads in Germany. The first Destination in Africa will be Walvis Bay in late August next year, but travelling through Namibia via Caprivi strip our main focus will be on Zambia, a country with which we had already some experiences in 2015 with a hired LR. As now I am retired since August '19 we are able to spend some more time in these lovely regions than the notorious three weeks a year. Our plan is to reach finally the Zambian shores of lake Tanganjika. Now we are soaking up every new information we can get about the route which has still to be planned and are very thankfully about forum members who are so generous sharing their experiences.
    I must admit that I got still more value from the forum than I could give back, the only trip report postet from myself was from a selfdrive trip in Uganda after I got lots of really helpful advices. So far we nearly had no time to make any scripts about our journeys due to our hard business all over the year. Sometimes it took months until we were able to sort out the pictures we took and we were already planning our next trip.
    But now after retiring we want to travel more slowly and propose to make some diaries about our destinations which we are finally able to share.
    Thanks again
    Topi

Great report and thanks for sharing.
    You have given me some new inspiration to revisit Zambia again.

Cheers

Johan

Thank you Topi and JPSeekles.

@Topi : Those are really very good news and hope everything comes as expected for your future adventures/travels. Reaching the shores of Lake Tanganyika is a terrific plan. Zambia has a lot to see and to offer.

@JPSeekles : Hope that materializes!

Safe travels and a happy adventurous 2020!

AP

Hi apfac,
    thanks a lot for your kind wishes concerning our trip!
    Yes we are already busy planning, the biggest challenge will be to get the car to Walvis.
    Following the steps of your route which we will travel in the opposite ditection in parts I wonder where the community camp named Kamukonzo is to be find as my T4Africa-map doesn't show ist. Do you have any coordinates of it?

I am not apfac, but I have the coordinates at hand: S12° 23' 51.7" E32° 10' 38.3"

If you exit the Luambe NP in direction Chipuka/Chitungula turn to the left immediately behind the gate . If you are not sure, ask the ranger at the exit post.

On the way, there are two turnoffs which are signposted, first to the right, second to the left.

You cannnot miss it.

We did enjoy Kumaukonzo a lot!

The track towards the camp is not in my T4A version ...I would like to sent my gpsies to them but I struggle with reading the data out of my GPS device.

Thanks a lot, Mabe, that makes sense now!
    We always like to help the communities to run their business and if one finds a great place then it's a win/win situation for both.

Topi,

Apologies but I just saw the thread now. @Mabe coordinates are spot on. Please see attached image. The latest T4A should have both accesses (Northern - coming from North Luangwa; and Southern - coming from South Luangwa) on it now. When I travelled (T4A ver. 10.05) there was just one access road (southern) unscripted. Now (ver. 19.12) apparently they already have both. Further, if you look carefully, on their web preview the camp is already there.

Those communities really need our help!

Happy planning!

AP

P.S. : the pink lines are the traveled ones. The straight line means that my GPS lost signal for a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by apfac; 2020/01/03 at 12:32 AM.

Hi apfac,
    nothing can go wrong now with these detailed informations, thanks a lot! Maybe after the next update of T4Africa in May we will find the camp also in the map. The Swiss provider promissed especially for Zambia already some new spots.
    Topi

Quote Originally Posted by Topi View Post
    Hi apfac,
    nothing can go wrong now with these detailed informations, thanks a lot! Maybe after the next update of T4Africa in May we will find the camp also in the map. The Swiss provider promissed especially for Zambia already some new spots.
    Topi
    On my ver.19.12 is already there! You can not miss it!

AP

apfac, I'm a bit late to chime in to this excellent report of yours. I was on a trip while you were publishing your installments, so I wasn't able to respond in time, but wherever I got a network connection, I anxiously checked if there's any new "news" from Zambia! My heart was just singing of joy while reading about your adventures in so many of known places that I simply want to visit again as soon as possible. Thank you so much for this report and wonderful photos!
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Thank you Ortelius for your kind words. Give and take should be norm at this forum! It is always a pleasure.

Lovely report, distances, times etc, could you supply the cost for lodging at the various camp sites?

Thank you apfac for this great trip report! You picture are amaizing and gives a good idea of the beauty of the places you have visited.

Thank you both for the nice comments.

@Tobie : You will find most of the pricing info at the respective websites. For Kamukonzo campsite, you will find it on the report. For Roy´s, 2019 rates were 130Kw/ person/night. Nevertheless it will be always wise to confirm their rates before traveling as they may not be updated. Please do say if you have any difficulty finding them.

AP.

apfac baie nice en dankie vir great report en fotos

Very nice report! Will look at it for the future.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast